"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Thinking of doing an Iron Butt run

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 08:31 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of doing an Iron Butt run

I'm thinking of doing an saddlesore 1000 run in Dec. For those not aware it's 1000 miles in under 24 hours. Has anyone ever done one? Is there any interest of getting a group together for it?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I would love to do one, so I'm a maybe

Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Yuppers many times in fact. Also the Bun Burner and the extreme ride BBG Bun Burner Gold (1,500 miles under 24 hours).

If you would like some hints, let me know. At the very minimum my friend, go to the Irong Butt site and read their AOW (Archive Of Wisdom). <-- THAT is a GOOD thing to do.

Above and beyond that, let me know if u would like some hints on how to do it successfully.

I am HAPPY FOR YOU, that u r doing this. WICKED FUN!!!

Here is the Archive Of Wisdom link for you my friend. Archive Of Wisdom aka AOW

You CAN do it. It should actually take about 17 or 17 1/2 hours. You CAN make it all the way.

BuzzCap7

Last edited by BuzzCap7; 11-12-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: I got the AOW link for the readers.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,460 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I would love to do one. I am not sure I could do one that fast, as I read the Archieves there is a certain amount of personal training you need to do, plus preparation. I know I did 400 miles in 12 hours (back roads) on a trip to Tenn and I was sore in the butt and back at the end of that, so I would need to add a pillow to the seat (lol). I was riding an 06 softail with 5 speed.
As a group I think we would have to work on fuel logistics for the rest stops. I get about 140 miles until the light comes on, so every two hours I would need fuel and also drink.

I am liking this idea of a group run for the Iron Butt. I would love to do it on my 82 Sporty, but that would require a kidney transplant at the end.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Prof Rene
I would love to do one. I am not sure I could do one that fast, as I read the Archieves there is a certain amount of personal training you need to do, plus preparation. I know I did 400 miles in 12 hours (back roads) on a trip to Tenn and I was sore in the butt and back at the end of that, so I would need to add a pillow to the seat (lol). I was riding an 06 softail with 5 speed.
As a group I think we would have to work on fuel logistics for the rest stops. I get about 140 miles until the light comes on, so every two hours I would need fuel and also drink.

I am liking this idea of a group run for the Iron Butt. I would love to do it on my 82 Sporty, but that would require a kidney transplant at the end.
PR,

ALL good points.

Sore Back: There are 2 types of exercises you do to solve the lower back and shoulder issues that arise. Both exercises are not difficult and you do not need to do them for a long time.

Sore Butt: Maybe a better saddle or shocks or both. Also the Air Hawk may help you or the commonly used SheepSkin saddle covers and there is another type that also works well simmilar to SheepSkin.

140 miles: That is GOOD! I usually ride 170 miles at highway speeds between refueling. Gas, pee, and then hydrate. In that order. ALL under 20 minutes. There is more to be said on this matter if ppl are interested. Stopping to refuel/hydrate SAFELY every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs is GOOD. You will make the 1,000SS IBA has in 17 to 17 1/2 hrs.

(I am trying to keep my responses brief above.)
GO GUYS AND GALS GO!!! It will likely be the MOST FUN RIDE EVER!!!
BuzzCap7

Old 11-12-2018, 07:14 AM
kered
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Yuppers many times in fact. Also the Bun Burner and the extreme ride BBG Bun Burner Gold (1,500 miles under 24 hours).

If you would like some hints, let me know. At the very minimum my friend, go to the Irong Butt site and read their AOW (Archive Of Wisdom). <-- THAT is a GOOD thing to do.

Above and beyond that, let me know if u would like some hints on how to do it successfully.

I am HAPPY FOR YOU, that u r doing this. WICKED FUN!!!

Here is the Archive Of Wisdom link for you my friend. Archive Of Wisdom aka AOW

You CAN do it. It should actually take about 17 or 17 1/2 hours. You CAN make it all the way.

BuzzCap7
Thanks! I've been wanting to do one for almost 10 years but haven't made the time for it. I've been perusing the iron butt site but missed the AOW somehow. I'll deff check it out.

I've done a little over 700 miles in 14 hrs and then the next day a little over 500 in 8 hrs but it wasn't within the time constraints and I didnt get documentation.

I'll be doing it btw on a 2008 Yamaha R6S.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by kered
Thanks! I've been wanting to do one for almost 10 years but haven't made the time for it. I've been perusing the iron butt site but missed the AOW somehow. I'll deff check it out.

I've done a little over 700 miles in 14 hrs and then the next day a little over 500 in 8 hrs but it wasn't within the time constraints and I didnt get documentation.

I'll be doing it btw on a 2008 Yamaha R6S.
NICE!!! My my math (and I stink at math), 700 mi at 14 hrs = you will make 1,000 miles under 24 hrs. GREAT!!

Most IBAers are not on Harleys believe it or not. Their backs are straight up and down and interestingly enough, their bikes have panniers <sp> as saddle bags.

Bending over like that for 1,000 miles may be much. Then you definitely need to do lower back muscle exercises. I can detail them for you if u like.

This will be a 10 year dream come true for you. I am happy and excited for you.

Do consider renting a HD touring bike for a day. (Or 2 by the time you pick it up and return it). COMFORT IS EVERYTHING when LDR. (LDR = Long Distance Riding).

IBA stresses safety, rightly so kered. Comfort is right up there with safety. If you are not comfortable, (bike & clothing) then, well, you know. It will just not be fun. This SS ride should be every bit of fun there is to get in 24 hours. It will also likely be a FUN ride you will never forget.

No matter if you go, do not go, (I am sure you will go) please let us know what happened in detail ok?

Going solo is 1 thing. Going in a group is definitely "another thing".

I am getting excited for you and others........ YEEEEE HAAAAAWWW!!!!!!

BuzzCap7

Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM
kered
Road Captain

I will definitely go! I'm thinking of doing my first one solo and then trying to officially organize one on here.

I'm a smaller guy and have always ridden smaller lighter bikes. I've sat on plenty of touring bikes and being short i just feel it's tough to handle the weight. My dad (MJ on here) has an Indian Chieftan and when I sit on it I can't reach the kickstand to put it up haha!

I will definitely make a thread on here about my ride when I do it.

Were yours done in Florida? What routes did you take?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,460 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I rode a 1994 Suzuki Katana to Atlanta once, when I was much younger and I had little issues with that ride, but I was in my 20s when all the body parts were still intact.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

If you ride from port st luice to Charleston S.C and back you will have your 1000 mile run i did it in 17 hours a couple of years ago on my 2010 Goldwing was a very nice ride.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing an Iron Butt run