"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Clearwater Florida???

Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Clearwater Florida???

Don't know if any of you have been reading any of my posts in the Touring Model section or in the .../Suspension/... section, so here is just a short story about the 11" shocks I had installed by Suspennsion Technologies on my '19 SGS.

The shocks were great while I rode solo, but with my Lady, 2-up, I was getting tire rub/hits whenever we hit a bump or wallow. Even after increasing the stiffness all the way up, there is still the occasional tire hit.

I emailed S. T. and expained the problem. They actually CALLED to tell methat they are willing to swap out the standard springs in the shocks for heavier springs that will be good for a heavy load. Since we are only about 2 1/2 Hours away from their shop in Clearwater, Fl. we plan to make a run over there sometime after they get back on the 17th from a Bike Week in Texas they are attending. They will swap out the springs at no cost while we wait. I'd call that great caring customer service.

As we are relatively new transplants to Florida (but, gosh, it has been 5 years already) we realized we have not been over to the other side of the peninsula yet. We know we could do the round Trip in one day with out any problem, but we are considering maybe making it an over nighter, or possibly even two nights, and do some riding around the area. So, would it be worth it?. Is there things to do or see in an afternoon, or maybe two. Would love some suggestions from some of you from that area.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

You are gonna love the traffic, especially across the bridges. !!! Keep your head on a swivel......

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (06-25-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Was down there a few years ago with my bike, not Clearwater, but St Pete Beach. As HP says, and the intersections, lot's of old cagers there, make sure they're clear, they run them. . Just a cool ride down Gulf Blvd ok, get down to Ft Desoto great beach there also. Personally, didn't think it was a great riding area.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 858 Likes on 481 Posts

Must be something here. Millions of tourist every year visit the area. Beautiful beaches and parks. The Original Hooters is here on SR60 as you enter Clearwater. Maybe visit the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs just north of Clearwater.

If you're here on a Wednesday evening you'll find bike night at Quaker Steak on 49th Street. I think Biff Burgers has a bike night Wednesday and Saturday evening. Maybe take a ride across the Skyway Bridge. It's beautiful the first few times you cross it.

I've been here 36 years so I don't pay any attention to attractions in the area.

Pinellas is the most densely populated county in Florida. Ride safe and take your time. Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
heavyd1 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

I've heard nothing but great things about Suspennsion Technologies. Guy that works for me just got a set and he is not only sold on the shocks but also the customer service.
I sent another guy their way and he is ranting and raving about how well his bike performs now.

As far as Pinellas County goes, Been here 33 years. We've got great beaches, The Sponge Docks, and world class seafood dining. IMO it's the best area in Florida.

Keep us posted maybe we can hook up..

Old 06-04-2019, 03:19 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Red
Must be something here. Millions of tourist every year......If you're here on a Wednesday evening you'll find bike night at Quaker Steak on 49th Street.....Maybe take a ride across the Skyway Bridge. It's beautiful the first few times you cross it.
Originally Posted by Raider Bill
.... We've got great beaches, The Sponge Docks, and world class seafood dining.....Keep us posted maybe we can hook up..
Might try to plan the ride over early on Wednesday the 19th. After ST does their thing we can check out the area a little and in the evening head over to that Bike Night at QS. Raider Bill, is that something you attend? What time do they gather?

Then on Thursday Robin and I can check out some of the spots that have been mentioned. If there are any of you H-D Forum member locals that wanted to be our guide, it would be great to have company and to have someone to lead us so we don't get lost.. Maybe we (us and all who might be inclinded to join us) can hit up one of those world class Seafood Places for dinner Raider Bill mentioned.

We just need a suggestion for a Hotel/Motel that would be kind of central and can serve as a meeting place for any that want to get together Wednesday afternoon and/or Thursday.

We would head out early Friday for an easy ride back to the East Coast before it gets too hot.

This all presumes the weather will cooperate.

Last edited by FrankEV; 06-04-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

I'm not a Quaker State attendee 2007 was the last time I went there for bike night although they do draw quite a crowd some Wednesdays.

There's a Holiday inn Express and Hampton Inn here in Largo which is centrally located or plenty of beach hotels with Indian Rocks Beach being about the mid county. Clearwater Beach is nice but pricey and parking/traffic sucks but if you get a place there and leave the bike at the hotel there's plenty to do and a shuttle that runs till 11PM.

I maybe in Tenn by the 19th but maybe not so keep me posted.

I'm also going to get with Suspension Technologies about shocks for one of my bikes.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I'm not a Quaker State attendee 2007 was the last time I went there for bike night although they do draw quite a crowd some Wednesdays.

There's a Holiday inn Express and Hampton Inn here in Largo which is centrally located or plenty of beach hotels with Indian Rocks Beach being about the mid county. Clearwater Beach is nice but pricey and parking/traffic sucks but if you get a place there and leave the bike at the hotel there's plenty to do and a shuttle that runs till 11PM.

I maybe in Tenn by the 19th but maybe not so keep me posted.

I'm also going to get with Suspension Technologies about shocks for one of my bikes.

Will do.

Still in the planning stage.

Not likely to do beach side lodging. The Largo area seems to be the best idea just for the two nights.

And, I'm old and I don't stay up to late, so some daytime sight seeing will all we will be realy looking to do.

Last edited by FrankEV; 06-05-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:21 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Like others said, the beaches are nice, but the traffic blows. When I ride, I head north or south out of Pinellas County to get out in open country. I hate riding here, red light to red light and stop n go traffic is no fun. To visitors, the beaches are nice, there are many hotels and restaurants to choose from. Popular beaches are Clearwater Beach, Indian Rocks, Madeira Beach, and St Pete beach.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:32 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

If you are going to head up to the panhandle for a couple days you might want to consider heading to GA, SC,NC,TENN. There is some great riding up there. I bet you could find some crew to ride with you too if you post it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clearwater Florida???