Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   "The Florida Crew" (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew-127/)
-   -   A question about SunPass and Motorcycles? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew/458493-a-question-about-sunpass-and-motorcycles.html)

watsoncon 12-22-2009 09:16 AM

A question about SunPass and Motorcycles?

Hi Gang, I wanted to know if anyone could give me feedback on how well a SunPass transponder would work in my jacket pocket since I don't have a windshield or want to mount it on the handle bars the way SunPass told me to do it. I currently have been avoiding rides that go via toll roads or selecting routes that bypass them altogether. I figured someone in this group would know the answer and I even read on some thread of a member called SunPass! .... Ross :icon_question:

throttlejunkie 12-22-2009 09:19 AM

jacket pocket, no problem..
works well in magnetic tank bags as well. lot's of crew members have the tank bags.
Dave

bulldogmoe7 12-22-2009 09:38 AM

good question, i have the windshield 3 bag, would it work inside the leather bag? i always attach it to the shield.

Big Gator 12-22-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7 (Post 5994773)
good question, i have the windshield 3 bag, would it work inside the leather bag? i always attach it to the shield.

I keep mine in the 3 leather pouch on the winshield with no problems. I have even heard in can be mounted in the lid of hard sabble bags but I haven't tried it.

cHarley 12-22-2009 10:02 AM

They work fine as mentioned above. For best performance, the backside of the unit, the side that's suppose to be against the windshield, should be pointed forward/up.

Also, as long as your bike's tag number is registered to a transponder, you will not be fined if the transponder fails to register. If it doesn't register or you forget to put the transponder on the bike and go through a toll booth, Sunpass checks the tag # captured in the photo against it's Sunpass/tag database and just bills the toll to the associated unit. No fine.

NOTE: The new Sunpass "stickers" only work on GLASS windshields.

bulldogmoe7 12-22-2009 10:23 AM

oh cause we transfer the sunpass between the bike the van, on satruday i was scrambling to find the sunpass. so i "really" didnt need it? but its good to have anyways.
cool so now i can keep it in the pouch and not an eye sore.

cHarley 12-22-2009 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bulldogmoe7 (Post 5994951)
oh cause we transfer the sunpass between the bike the van, on satruday i was scrambling to find the sunpass. so i "really" didnt need it? but its good to have anyways.
cool so now i can keep it in the pouch and not an eye sore.

As long as all of your vehicle tags (bike, car, truck, whatever) are registered to the unit, you're good too go.

I'm not saying however, that if you go through a Sunpass booth 100 times without the transponder, that Sunpass folks will not send you a nasty letter. ;)

masterblaster 12-22-2009 11:00 AM

Um they will, my battery has been dead on the transponder for past 3 months they got pissed and sent me a letter tellin me to change the battery.

Originally Posted by cHarley (Post 5995073)
As long as all of your vehicle tags (bike, car, truck, whatever) are registered to the unit, you're good too go.

I'm not saying however, that if you go through a Sunpass booth 100 times without the transponder, that Sunpass folks will not send you a nasty letter. ;)

SoFla 12-22-2009 03:24 PM

I keep mine velcroed on the inside lid of my saddle bag. My tag is regiesterd and I have never gotten a letter that it did not pick up a signal.

bulldogmoe7 12-22-2009 03:31 PM

this is all good to know. i figured it would need line of site