The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When I'm out riding I wave to:
No one
9.09%
Everyone
87.88%
Harley Riders only.
3.03%
Harley, Indian and Victory riders only.
0%
Option 4 plus European bike riders, ie; BMW, Duc, Tri
0%
I specifically ignore Rice Buring scum, even though I once was one.
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

The wave

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:39 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

A winter without a wave thread would be like a Christmas without fruitcake... lol

If I make eye contact with someone then I nod or wave. It doesn't matter if I'm on foot, in car, or truck, on a bike, or lawn mower, unless I'm preoccupied.

I was raised in a rural area where everyone waves. It seems the bigger the city one is from the less likely they are to wave, just an observation.

When I'm in a big city with lots of bikes around I don't wave as much unless someone waves first. The same goes for a rally or event.

Wave at me or don't wave. It doesn't affect my day. 5 seconds after someone passes I never give them another thought.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Good gawd...another thread for those who are easily butt-hurt when not waved to or waved back at. Yep, it's winter and time for my annual...

I sent that out as my xmas card last year. I'm not getting that many in the mail this year...

Old 04-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Question about waving to groups

Hi guys, I have been wondering about this for some time and thought that I would ask.

If you are on a motorcycle and a group of motorcycles is coming in the opposite direction, do you wave at all of them, just the leader or the guy way in the back?

Same thing if you are riding with a group of people. Does each rider wave at someone coming in the other direction or is someone in charge of waving?

When I got to Daytona and saw the thousands of riders, the first thing that I thought was "damn! my arm is going to be sore at the end of the day"!. But 5 minutes in and I saw that nobody was waving at any one so I would nod to solo riders but was unsure about groups of riders.

I haven't run into a bike rally/outing where dozens of riders are coming at me. Do I just turn the corner and avoid them or do I nod like a bubble head to all of them? Just kidding, but seriously, what do you do?

Old 04-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

We wave to everyone but fewer and fewer are waving back. I will continue to wave, it doesn't take much effort.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:13 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Don't know, don't care!

Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Default How do you wave to a group of bikers?

How do you wave to a group of bikers that are coming in the opposite direction? Do you wave to all of them, the guy in the front, maybe the last guy in the back or do you turn the corner as soon as you see them so you don't have to deal with it?

And if you are in a group of bikes and a solo bike is coming...does everyone wave at this person or is there one person in the group that should wave?

When I got to Daytona earlier in the year I was like DAMN! my arm is gonna get tired from waving at everyone here. But a few minutes into it and I saw that no one was waving so that made it easy.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I am sure Daytona is one of those events were waving is pointless as the cagers are rarer then the bikes. LOL.
I was riding today with the wife and I have a habit of waving at everyone, It really is a personal thing. I believe in common courtesy in this world and that we get what we sow and therefore I am that guy who waves.

I also smile at people who flick me off and wave at them, talk about making them mad. lol.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:16 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

yea...dont go waving at a rally.......you'll never use the clutch........wave when ya can(but again, never at a rally).........in a long line in the other direction I might hit the first guy, the middle guy or the last guy(gals)........depends on how I feel.......and have seen the same reaction when Im in line......

Last edited by MURPHCC1; 04-23-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Labrador
Road Master

Yeah, seriously, My hand would go numb waving at a rally. And if I nodded, they would think I was a bobblehead for nodding to so many of them.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Keep both hands on the grips....Don't bother waving, it's stupid.

Quick Reply: The wave