The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Live to Ride" Crap..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I hate blacked out bikes, ugliest thing especially in denim.
God, a foot of snow out there, the groundhog lied.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:30 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Live to ride

Originally Posted by wlbowers
I've rode motorcycles since I was 15 years old. First motorcycle was a Honda 350 I bought used for $200. First Harley was a 1966 Sportster 1000 I got in 1969. The Heritage I ride today is my third.

I've seen them all come and go. None of them were born with a Harley growing out their a**. Everybody was a newbie at one time or another.

I'm 65 years old. I've rode in Thunder Storms ( no windshield. Bought one the next day), Snow Storms, Hail, Sand storms (had to pick the sand out of the key lock with a needle), and Wind Storms where I had to lean almost to scraping the left foot peg going straight Down the road. I’ve rode when the temperature was below zero and over 120º (The California desert).

Got my Broken Wings. I've gone down twice in my life. The second one almost killed me when a truck turned in front of me. I don’t remember the truck. I don’t remember the EMT or the ride to the hospital. I came back to reality after about 9 hrs. Wife said I was talking the whole time. Kept asking three questions. “What happen? Where am I. How is she?” When my wife told me that she laughed at my expression. She said “No you didn’t have a chick on the bike with you. You were asking about your Damn Harley. The Lowrider was totaled. I almost was.

She asked me what kind of Truck I was going to get with my ins settlement. I told her a Harley. I was looking for a new ride the next day. Even though I could only use my left hand and couldn't focus on the monitor very well. My wife just shook her head.

I've rode Harley, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. My first Helmet I bought at a Harley Shop after I parked my Honda outside. I was scared to death to go inside. Hell I was only 16.

I was drooling over the Super Glide when this dude came up to me that had to be 6'6 and 300 lbs. He looked like a big ZZ Top. He was wearing a leather vest that had a huge eagle on the back. I forgot what the colors were.

He saw my Honda outside. Told me to go ahead sit on the Super Glide. I did and was hooked. We talked a while and he helped me pick out a helmet. He gave me some words of advice that I still remember.

"Don't let anyone tell you how to ride. Take care of your bike, take care of your brothers and sisters, (what he called other bikers) and enjoy yourself. Hell with the rest."

When I want to ride I do. I don't give a rat’s *** what some ***** that thinks it's his job to categorize people on their riding habits or their ride says or thinks. If I want something on my ride I either make it, buy it, or trade for it.

When I see a family traveling with a trailer behind them that has a motorcycle on it, I think there goes a brother. He is going somewhere with his wife and three kids but is determined to ride when he gets where they are going. So his Road King is getting a lift till he gets there.

For the people that think that is wrong I feel sorry. Your so worried about your precious image you have to downgrade his. Grow up. Get a life. Better yet go ride your bike, if you even have one.

Today most of you crackers are more worried about what people think about your clothes, or what kind of oil you should run or the logo ‘s you have on your ride. It's changing times I guess. I’m gonna stay old school. If you ride you ride. If your an a**hole your an a**hole.

Oh yea. If you see me riding by. Go tell your momma you saw a real biker today.
Yo, "real biker"............well said, I've also been riding since the 60's and I don't ever remember having a reason to criticize or think other's tastes are below mine including the brand bashing. I've rode/raced many brands and types of two wheelers through the years along with working for a dealer selling different brands and it was all about twisting the throttle to me. There are many narrow minded people in the hobby not having any idea what it's all about and bringing there attitudes and prejudices along for the ride with them.
It's their loss, I enjoy every single fad, type,style brand whatever you want to call it, if it only has two wheels it has my interest , although some more than others. My present interest is long distance travel and touring, only a couple more states and we'll have all 50 , most of Canada and a few other countries on two wheels. My wife and I's first date in 72 was on two wheels and we've enjoyed the hobby in one form or another together ever since ! Ride on , one "real" biker to another !

The following users liked this post:
carpusaf (04-14-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 AM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wlbowers is spot on ... If you ride, you ride. Whatever you want to do (or not) to your machine is your business. Whatever helmet (or not) you like, go for it. Heritage Softail with a Dora the Explorer theme? Whatever makes you smile! As far as the LTD stuff, I coated my first H-D in it, '93 Sportster. I've had six big twins since, never thought of putting any LTD items on them. Maybe it was phase, but to each their own. If I like it, done. I encourage others to do the same. It's your $$. Ride safe, Y'All.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 AM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

It's a personal choice, but if you were going old-school on your bike they would probably make sense to that direction

Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by rlh7677
Yo, "real biker"............well said, I've also been riding since the 60's and I don't ever remember having a reason to criticize or think other's tastes are below mine including the brand bashing. I've rode/raced many brands and types of two wheelers through the years along with working for a dealer selling different brands and it was all about twisting the throttle to me. There are many narrow minded people in the hobby not having any idea what it's all about and bringing there attitudes and prejudices along for the ride with them.
It's their loss, I enjoy every single fad, type,style brand whatever you want to call it, if it only has two wheels it has my interest , although some more than others. My present interest is long distance travel and touring, only a couple more states and we'll have all 50 , most of Canada and a few other countries on two wheels. My wife and I's first date in 72 was on two wheels and we've enjoyed the hobby in one form or another together ever since ! Ride on , one "real" biker to another !

You know it.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:56 AM
weekender2098
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not my bike so who cares. Some people wear red pants, who cares!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:25 AM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger

My bike had all the Live to Ride doodads when I bought it. I didn't like them so I took them off shortly after I bought it.
That's why I keep chrome "doodads" to a minimum. I only have a Willie G skull emblem on my air cleaner. I'll never recoup the cost of these add-ons. But I do have a top and bottom rocker of LTR on the back of my denim vest (no harm...no fowl).

Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM
OCDbikr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this is like complaining about the way someone decorates their living room... It's THEIR living room and THEY live in it and YOU don't have to like it. I hate blacked out chit! Can't stand the "murdered out" look, BUT they don't belong to me and if that's the way folks wanna ride em, more power to em. I give two thumbs up to anyone who rides whatever and however they damn well please! THAT is what freedom really feels like: Not caring or wondering about what someone else thinks or feels about YOUR ride. Hell yeah... Live to Ride, y'all!! Hehehe Take it all with a grain of salt, until someone hijacks you and makes you ride one with all the chit on it that you hate. Lol

Old 02-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Your absolutely right...the only thing that makes me puke more is windshields on bikes with apehangers ...
You Rang

Old 02-28-2016, 12:10 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Your absolutely right...the only thing that makes me puke more is windshields on bikes with apehangers ...
Yeah..those make me gag a little too!

Quick Reply: "Live to Ride" Crap..........