General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of ridiing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts
Old 03-13-2019, 05:21 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
For a beginner,Sometimes it's worthwhile to get a cheap used bike under 400 lbs to get started easier.
Best advice of all but I would change, "used bike under 400 lbs", to, "suitable dirt bike". Learn how to control a bike away from traffic. You do not want to hit the hazards of city streets & highway rush hour until control comes/becomes automatic. Stay off the front brake in slick/slippery conditions. Learn to feather the clutch & throttle. Always watch cross traffic. In town you can never relax.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:26 PM
blue06flhri
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

and dont look down when you stop or u will go down. also when you ride dont look to the sides too long when riding or u will go that way

The following 2 users liked this post by blue06flhri:
GoofySB (02-02-2020), Papa G (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by hagger
Best advice of all but I would change, "used bike under 400 lbs", to, "suitable dirt bike". Learn how to control a bike away from traffic. You do not want to hit the hazards of city streets & highway rush hour until control comes/becomes automatic. Stay off the front brake in slick/slippery conditions. Learn to feather the clutch & throttle. Always watch cross traffic. In town you can never relax.
I agree, even better. Did a lot of dirt riding in my younger days, and I think the instincts learned in the dirt saved me on the street several times. Didn't always save me in the dirt, though.

You can practice sliding and other things on dirt that would be painful and expensive on pavement. I'd bet few pavement only riders have ever done slides with the front wheel aimed opposite the turning direction (successfully), great experience for when/if you unintentionally break the back end out on a curve.

The following 3 users liked this post by Imold:
Long lonesome highwayman (04-12-2019), Papa G (03-13-2019), Uncle G. (04-01-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:27 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Take the riding course, it's worth it's weight in gold. It was one of the best decisions I made. They'll teach you how to ride and keep you from learning bad habits.

Once you've taken it, then I suggest riding around somewhere you're comfortable with close to home. Just putz on residential streets. Heck I did figure 8s in a parking lot by my house for almost 2 weeks till I took the bike out to where people were driving. People around you add a unpredictable element that's best to avoid till you know the bike.

And you'll hear ride like you're invisible. Personally I ride like 99% of the drivers are good and know what they are doing but there is 1% that has been hired to try to murder me. Is it that guy? Won't know till he makes his move. Is he driving a Prius? Well there's at least one hitman found. Watch the front wheels, they'll tell you what they're planning on doing quickest.

On your particular bike, pay especial attention to slow speed maneuvers. That's where the weight really shows. Keep it slow and incontrol and be very mindful of how hard your turning and braking at the same time.

And once you find yourself comfortable on it, it's like going over a wall of which there is no going back. Enjoy yourself, ride safe. Take the course.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 03-13-2019 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (04-12-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

You go where your eyes are looking..

Watch some of the "ride like a pro" videos on youtube, And take a course. After that you will feel more confident. I think your low confidence in riding is causing your concern over 45mph.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I remember when I first started riding, that gimg 45 or faster felt like I was going double that speed! You have to get used to not really having a full windshield in front of you. You just need to get adjusted to it.

It's funny, when I take my wife for a ride once or twice a year, she complains about how I am speeding. And I am not.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I never rode until I was 48. I took the MSF rider course. My friend lent me a Virago 250. The plan was I was going to ride it for 500 miles than look for my own bike. After riding it 70 miles, my friend took me on a 500 mile weekend trip. He lent me his '99 Electraglide Standard, which is pretty similar to your bike. When I look back at it , I'm amazed I didn't crash that weekend. I had to keep up with 2 experienced riders. I had trouble leaning the bike over on interstate ramps. I definitely didn't ride my own ride, which is always a mistake.

Take the MSF course. Rent a bike like the Street 750 and ride it for at least a weekend. Even better buy a used 800cc metric for $2,000, and ride it for a couple of months. If you don't crash, you can sell it for what you bought it for and just be out registration, taxes and license.

Lots of guys are going to tell you it's ok to start on a 900 lb bike, but I am glad I didn't. My first bike was Kawasaki Vulcan 750, a 475 lb bike that was very forgiving. I rode it for 20,000 miles before buying my Ultra Classic. When I bought my FLHTCUI, I took the Rider's Edge Skilled Rider's Course, and that helped me adjust to a bigger bike.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (04-12-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

This being your first bike and all, leads me to believe you may not have your MC endorsement- if you care to share- what is the status of your drivers license?

Does your state require a written test= Learner's permit. Then drive the test course at the DMV to get you license endorsed for MC?
That is how it works here in MN.

Reason I am asking is that the bike you have is pretty massive and can be intimidating to ride thru the U-Turn box, ect....that is often part of the driving test.
If you have to do that.

The nice thing about taking the MSF beginner's riding course, is that you use their relatively light and easy to ride bikes that have been dropped by hundreds of novice riders.
If you get the learner's permit prior to the MSF class, and attend and participate in the class- they can perform the driving test that same weekend, and all you'd have to do is take the paperwork to the DMV and you'll save the hassle of having to drive your own bike to the DMV and deal with that headache that is a driving test. Around here driving tests book waaaaay out into the future- often months. Even the MC ones. Or you go and take your chances hanging out hoping there is a no show. ICK.

This all assumes that you don't already have your MC endorsement (and that you are pursuing it), and the MSF and rules in your state are similar to what we have in MN.

But do take a beginners course regardless. It will do wonders for your confidence.

Last edited by Brewmany; 03-14-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Grove Rat
Cruiser
Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

From one newbie to another as suggested above find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course and take it. Practice in a parking lot the drills they use in the class for awhile on your own and you will build confidence. I took the class because Texas currently requires it to get a motorcycle license and I learned a lot from it, mostly how much I didn't know.

Quick Reply: Fear of ridiing