The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poser or WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM
RussL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poser or WHAT?

Well? What are you? After seeing my first episode of SOA, finally, I got to thinking (stand back, that's dangerous). We all talk down about posers, and rightfully so. What is the WHAT? What are posers posing to be? 1%ers? What lies in between "poser" and "1%er?"

I'll go first. I ain't no poser. But I ain't no 1%er either. Am I a biker? Well, no one seems to know what that means, but I'd say yes. Actually, I'm Russell who rides a Harley, wears leather, and generally wears jeans and t-shirts when not riding. Long hair, bushy beard and moustache. Simple. But what is that? I dunno. I'd say that most of us on this site are that, not all with long hair necessarily, or anything in particular.

Some say I have the biker look, whatever that means. To non-riders I'm probably a symbol of the bad-*** Hollywood-hyped-up biker who deserves loathing and from whom to hide their valuables and daughters. My grandmother used to say I looked like the devil. But there is much doubt.

So, are posers trying to be 1%ers? Are they trying to be me? Or you? The devil?

Simply put, WHAT is the opposite of poser?

(If this has been hashed out too many times, ok. The hell with it, as the devil would say).

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm no 1%er. I'm just me.

If you try to look like me, you're a poser.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 AM
deadreckoning
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think anyone's goal is to be a 1%.. but it's a classification of your lifestyle. A biker is different than a poser in the aspect that a biker has the life and love of the bike and the freedom of the road in his soul. A poser is someone who enjoys riding a bike but does not have that connection in the core of their being.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 AM
aimhard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by deadreckoning
I don't think anyone's goal is to be a 1%.. but it's a classification of your lifestyle. A biker is different than a poser in the aspect that a biker has the life and love of the bike and the freedom of the road in his soul. A poser is someone who enjoys riding a bike but does not have that connection in the core of their being.
Now I've got it. I think.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a subject that I never really think about. My wife and I are both professionals and we don't look like bikers. No tats, buisness haircut and clothes. I don't enjoy going to bike nights or biker rallys. Sturgis doesn't interest me in the least. We do love loading up the T-Bag and saddle bags and taking off for several days to a couple of weeks at a time on the RKC. We meet plenty of people on the road who are the same and enjoy visiting with them. I don't know what this makes us and I don't really care. We have a good time. For what it's worth, I've had a bike for the last 40 years.

Last edited by BadBobOk; 01-04-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its funny.... When I started riding, I had people tell me that I had to grow my hair long (dont think so, I'm balding, not going for the Ben Franklin look), get an ear ring (I think I'd look a little too sweet), wear a leather vest and chaps everywhere I go, (nah.....only when needed, if then) and so on... I've never tried to look like a "biker", or what people consider a biker to look like (1%'r I think).. I dress, like I dress and consider myself a biker, though dont claim it often because of the poser image. Honestly, I'll ride in whatever I'm wearing at the time. I've even ridden in shorts from time to time. So, the other day, I hopped on the ride for an oportunity to take advantage of a decent December afternoon in Atlanta. I went to the gas station to fill up and just happend to notice that I had on my sneakers, blue jeans and a grey hoodie............ I've had this choice of apparel many times in the past, but never gave it a moments thought, until I started watching SOA.. Of course, I'm on a black Dyna too...... All I was missing was the leather vest and long greasy blond hair and I'd have called myself a poser..... I love the show, but DAMN!!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 AM
SIXR
Banned

Originally Posted by RussL
Well? What are you? After seeing my first episode of SOA, finally, I got to thinking (stand back, that's dangerous). We all talk down about posers, and rightfully so. What is the WHAT? What are posers posing to be? 1%ers? What lies in between "poser" and "1%er?"

I'll go first. I ain't no poser. But I ain't no 1%er either. Am I a biker? Well, no one seems to know what that means, but I'd say yes. Actually, I'm Russell who rides a Harley, wears leather, and generally wears jeans and t-shirts when not riding. Long hair, bushy beard and moustache. Simple. But what is that? I dunno. I'd say that most of us on this site are that, not all with long hair necessarily, or anything in particular.

Some say I have the biker look, whatever that means. To non-riders I'm probably a symbol of the bad-*** Hollywood-hyped-up biker who deserves loathing and from whom to hide their valuables and daughters. My grandmother used to say I looked like the devil. But there is much doubt.

So, are posers trying to be 1%ers? Are they trying to be me? Or you? The devil?

Simply put, WHAT is the opposite of poser?

(If this has been hashed out too many times, ok. The hell with it, as the devil would say).
What you said at the end. Hashed out many times.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,876 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421
I'm no 1%er. I'm just me.

If you try to look like me, you're a poser.
I think JB's answer should be put up on a sticky. As this is the best answer to the Poser quistion I have yet to see.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM
southpaw
Road Warrior

I got a skin tight fade, short hair on top of the dome with a chin strap beard and thin mustache going. Not your typical Harley biker I would guess. People say I look like im always ready to rob a bank, do a couple B&E's or host the next Bloods or Crips meeting in a park.

But i got a wife, kids, house a few bikes, cars and a truck... work 2 great jobs. Bike nights and Rally's isn't for me. Am I a "poser" naaa I'm just the other person who loves to ride. Do I care what people say about me? NOPE, not one bit. Do I care if a person calls me a poser, nope, not at all. I would just simply tell them, you must of just joined a website and read a few threads about POSER and now your trying to to use that meaningless word!

Quick Reply: Poser or WHAT?