The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoA: some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoA: some questions.

I'm watching "Sons of Anarchy" first season. Yeah, yeah, I know... Took some time.
Well, I like it, up to now (I just watched episode 6), but there are some questions I'd like to ask about some details of the series.
First is about weapons.
The show is set in California. Now, as far as I know, California has very strict rules on every kind of weapons, including knives.
Jax walks around in Charming streets toting a ten inch K-Bar like knife in open sight. Wouldn't that alone be enough for the local police to slam him in jail for good? Is it legal due to the "concealed" clause? If I understood it correctly, since Jax has his knife "carried in a sheath, openly suspended from the waist" he's not violating any law... Is this correct?
Second question: SoA mostly wear small helmets, but in many scenes some of them ride bareheaded. Isn't the use of helmets mandatory in California?
Thanks for any info.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
dutcharoo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a TV show! Not real life.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Um, it's television.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
neocontra
Banned

Yes it's TV..but that's obviously what bikers there do, otherwise why would the show do it? And if they have it on TV, then it must be true.

I always figured the few times the guys on the show didn't have their helmets on it was just like "oh damn we forgot about the helmets" "F__k it, let's roll".

The only part of the show I thought was a little misrepresenting was the part where Jax uses his knife to stab a Federal Agent's car and makes it go Psshhhhhh. I mean, a knife cutting through metal? I'm not that gullible FX!

Otherwise it seems pretty authentic. We've heard stories of them people over in California..they seem to be either outlaw bikers or (worse) hippies.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM
99octane
Road Warrior
Talking

Well, duh?! And here I am thinking it was a Nat Geo documentary...
Obviously it's a show, but usually shows like this strive for a good level of realism. Plots are well written, short and long term narration is good, characters are very well shaped, and it just seemed strange to me that the writers fell short on these aspects in such a blatant way.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by neocontra
Yes it's TV..but that's obviously what bikers there do, otherwise why would the show do it? And if they have it on TV, then it must be true.

I always figured the few times the guys on the show didn't have their helmets on it was just like "oh damn we forgot about the helmets" "F__k it, let's roll".

The only part of the show I thought was a little misrepresenting was the part where Jax uses his knife to stab a Federal Agent's car and makes it go Psshhhhhh. I mean, a knife cutting through metal? I'm not that gullible FX!

Otherwise it seems pretty authentic. We've heard stories of them people over in California..they seem to be either outlaw bikers or (worse) hippies.
Uhm... Do you mean when they are carrying the dead bodies for the set up and get stopped by a trooper? I believe Jax actually stabs a tire...
But you can stab a car and render it more or less useless by stabbing the radiator. It's very thin metal.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

Don't ask if the OP watches "Grimm"....

Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Soap opera. It passes the time from after dinner, until it's time to go to sleep again.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a feeling the existence of Planet Spaceball was true !!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 99octane
I'm watching "Sons of Anarchy" first season. Yeah, yeah, I know... Took some time.
Well, I like it, up to now (I just watched episode 6), but there are some questions I'd like to ask about some details of the series.
First is about weapons.
The show is set in California. Now, as far as I know, California has very strict rules on every kind of weapons, including knives.
Jax walks around in Charming streets toting a ten inch K-Bar like knife in open sight. Wouldn't that alone be enough for the local police to slam him in jail for good? Is it legal due to the "concealed" clause? If I understood it correctly, since Jax has his knife "carried in a sheath, openly suspended from the waist" he's not violating any law... Is this correct?
Second question: SoA mostly wear small helmets, but in many scenes some of them ride bareheaded. Isn't the use of helmets mandatory in California?
Thanks for any info.
Yes California is a mandatory helmet state
I know many people in CA that carry a knife in the same manner Jax does

Zach

Quick Reply: SoA: some questions.