The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Light Bullshit

Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 AM
GrissaOstDrauka
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Light Bullshit

The other night I got popped for running a red light and a permit violation. I'll own up to the permit violation since it was at night and I didn't have a helmet on. The reason I got pulled over was because I ran a red light. I was sitting at this bastard for damn near five minutes, even had enough time to check the radar on my phone while I was waiting. After waiting that long and traffic now coming up behind me I figured the light wasn't working. So I waited until all cross traffic had cleared, pulled out and turned left lime I had intended. Apparently one of.the cars that had just pulled up behind me was a cop. I explained why I had went despite the signal and he explained to me that bikes don't always truly the sensors for the lights. I expected the ticket for the permit violation but why he wrote it for running the red light I don't know, just had to be a bitch I guess. After some research I found that some states have passed laws that made it fine for me to do what I did on that scenario. I was wondering if Indiana was one of them or if not if anybody had some advice on how to fight the ticket. I wasn't out blasting through red lights for fun and don't feel I deserved a ticket, so I'm going to fight it.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

I'd fight it anyways. All states have laws that allow you to treat a non functioning traffic light as a stop sign and proceed. Some states have motorcycle specific rules too.

I do it once or twice every morning! Bet that when you show for your court appearance, the LEO is a no show.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 AM
skully_68
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea here in sc a motorcycle only has to wait a few minutes for the light,one time i put it to the test i was at at long light there was a cop on the other side of the road facing me at the light i ran it, he didnt come after me,check your laws in indiana

Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This was on the news last year or the year before and I am pretty sure that the law in Indiana does not allow for you to disregard a red light that isn't responding.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 AM
mfranzdorf
Cruiser

Something tells me that if it were not for the permit violation, you would've been fine.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

Some cops will slide you others live for it . Hit a left turn lane light one night with the light the wouldn't change and a cop was sitting in a parking across the way watching me , 2nd cycle without a green I thumbed the kill switch and started looking the bike over and fumbling with things like it randomly died and duckwalked it to the curb . Of course mr popo hooks it over to see whats up . He was waiting for to me to run it too , easy pop . Two can play games it's just a pain in the *** .

Good luck with the fight .

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There is one near me that just will not trigger, I could sit there all day and all night, I have to do a right there and u turn up the road some if I end up at that light.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
There is one near me that just will not trigger, I could sit there all day and all night, I have to do a right there and u turn up the road some if I end up at that light.
U turns are illegal. You've just been screwed.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have to ride around the block, this is a conspiracy to make me use more gas.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
tlartist
Intermediate

Pretty much always worth it to go to traffic court. I have had a couple tickets at least reduced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red Light Bullshit