The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys are slow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM
D-rob92
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harleys are slow?

Ya know I've read a lot about Harley's and see someone saying stuff like if your looking for fast don't buy a Harley.... Well what exactly is your definition of fast?
I mean of course SS 600's and liters are the fastest bikes but why compare the 2. Let's be honest with ourselves and admit that not many people will actually ride those bikes at speeds much faster than our "slow" Harleys. So someone who says a Harley's slow I simple say this. Get On a Harley and getcha a hand full of that throttle. If you don't feel that horsepower running all over you then maybe there's just something wrong with me. But for me my bike is fast enough.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bone stock Harley's ARE slow. I still enjoy riding mine though.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM
D-rob92
Advanced

I disagree. I rode a ninja 250r for my first year and a half riding. I rode other bikes but I owned that one. You wanna talk about slow. That's a slow bike. But nonetheless I do agree they are a joy to ride.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM
rperk60
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that on my stock ultra with slipons only , I can get up to 80 mph at 3000 rpm pretty quick and ride like that for hours upon hours.. did so last summer on long trip from Texas to Illinois in august heat. Don't know how much faster u really need to go.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Yes, they are slow.(comparatively) But I didn't buy mine for speed. But it's still fast enough to get a hefty speeding ticket. Hell, my old FJ1200 will pass most HD's top end speed in just second or third gear.

If you want to shred the twistys, and go 3 times the speed limit, get a rice rocket.
If you want to cruise with style and class, get an HD.

Kinda funny, quite a few guys at my job ride metric bikes, crotch rockets, and cruisers in to work. I'm the only one riding an HD. They ALL continuously ask if they can take mine for a ride.(never happen)

Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D-rob92
I disagree. I rode a ninja 250r for my first year and a half riding. I rode other bikes but I owned that one. You wanna talk about slow. That's a slow bike. But nonetheless I do agree they are a joy to ride.
Just about anything is going to be fast compared to a ninja 250. I will say tho that the ninja 250 is a blast to ride too. I'm 6'3 225lbs and still have a blast ragging the **** out of those 250's.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,879 Likes on 4,670 Posts

You'll think they're fast if you hit a car doing full speed! But seriously, they aren't very fast but more than fast enough. Even with my upgraded PM brakes I wouldn't want to try to stop doing 80mph in the distance of an intersection. The bikes are too heavy to be safe at ridiculous speeds, but so are are the sport bikes. My bike is bone stock in the engine area, save the V&H pipes. It's plenty for me to cruise several states at 80mph and be comfortable.

You want fast, don't buy a Harley. But I wouldn't call them slow.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM
D-rob92
Advanced

That's what I'm saying in a nut sheet they arent slow. In the motorcycle world they are slower than other bikes. But regardless nothing makes me smile like riding my Harley.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Riding a slow bike fast is a hoot.

As far as Harley's... The goal is to be fast among other Harley's.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Ya know I've read a lot about Harley's and see someone saying stuff like if your looking for fast don't buy a Harley.... Well what exactly is your definition of fast?
I mean of course SS 600's and liters are the fastest bikes but why compare the 2. Let's be honest with ourselves and admit that not many people will actually ride those bikes at speeds much faster than our "slow" Harleys. So someone who says a Harley's slow I simple say this. Get On a Harley and getcha a hand full of that throttle. If you don't feel that horsepower running all over you then maybe there's just something wrong with me. But for me my bike is fast enough.
I don't know too many that buy HD for drag racing.

Quick Reply: Harleys are slow?