"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Scouting Ride - Sat. Oct 1st.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Scouting Ride - Sat. Oct 1st.

Let's go have some more fun. Michael has offered to join us on a scouting run for some more picture opportunities.

Heck, everyone bring their camera. We'll ride along Buford Dam road (over by Lake Lanier) and see if we can can't get some cooperative lighting, camera angles and something interesting in the background.

We can take our time, easy riding, and then end up somewhere for lunch, probably over by Buford somewhere.

Michael, Ken, you guys live over there, tell us a good spot to meet you.

Beav and Kari, Dwayne and Donna, Ben, Carol, Dave, anyone, we can meet behind Publix at Route 372 & Highway 20. Let's meet around 9am, kickstands up at 9:30am. We'll head over to meet up with Ken & Michael somewhere (when they post). We'll be heading east across Highway 20, towards/through Cumming, maybe picking up Dam Road right off 20.

After lunch we can drop in on Frazier's HD, or do some more photo shooting. Whatever, matters not. LOL

Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
b1rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know you can't stop on the dam, no pictures either. Guys in big black Suburban's will come visit you and ask lot's of questions, don't ask me how I know haha.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Yeah, the po-po freak out when you take pics in public places like that.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

NNoooo the po-po freak out when you stop on top of a dam that holds back billions of gallons of water from rushing downstream and killing a chit load of folks.
It's a group that like to call DHS of Department of Homeland Security and Homey don't play!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:19 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b1rider
You know you can't stop on the dam, no pictures either. Guys in big black Suburban's will come visit you and ask lot's of questions, don't ask me how I know haha.
I can't recommend the Dam Road because it has big ugly railings all along it that would be right behind the bikes. Not good. And was pointed out by Ben - you aren't allowed to stop on it anywhere... there's barely enough room for a person to even stand between the road surface and the railing anyway. They take this Dam stuff very seriously around here...

HOWSOMEVER... there are some other roads north of here that go over bridges, and would offer the lake as a background. Just have to find one with the right sun position - 'cuz that's critical...

I would LOVE to meet up with everyone this weekend to scout - but unfortunately Mary and I may be out of town. We were going to the Thunder Beach Rally Thurs-Sun in Panama City - but the people we were going with all crapped out for various reasons. So now, we may be riding up to Gatlinburg and hanging out there for the duration. We don't know yet. We just need to get away from work and the house and the dogs for a couple of days...

I'll post back here about our plans for the weekend... they may end up fizzling. If they do, I definitely want to go on the scouting ride!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by StonerGlide
NNoooo the po-po freak out when you stop on top of a dam that holds back billions of gallons of water from rushing downstream and killing a chit load of folks.
It's a group that like to call DHS of Department of Homeland Security and Homey don't play!!!
Exactly, they think you are staking out the place. I had the po-po freak out when I was down at Atlantic Station walking around with my camera to do some night shots. I was 'allowed' to take pics of downtown off the 17th Street bridge, but not Atlantic Station.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasn't thinking about stopping ON the damn dam. Hee heee heee. There is a small walking park (pull-off/parking area) just on the west-side of the dam structure that might work as a starting pad, or as the turn-around spot. To the east, down and around the corner after crossing the dam is a park entrance for the lower-dam area.

But I am certainly NOT fixating on this area. We can try any area; just not sure of many in the Lake/Buford area. No problem just "scouting". LOL

Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

We can certainly give it a try. Hopefully if we're seen taking pics of us riding, we'll be left alone.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

[QUOTE=NorthGeorgiaHawg;8866244]I would LOVE to meet up with everyone this weekend to scout - but unfortunately Mary and I may be out of town. We were going to the Thunder Beach Rally Thurs-Sun in Panama City - but the people we were going with all crapped out for various reasons. So now, we may be riding up to Gatlinburg and hanging out there for the duration. We don't know yet. We just need to get away from work and the house and the dogs for a couple of days...QUOTE]

Hawg, wife and I have gone to Thunder Beach last four years and two of those were by ourselves and quite frankly we probably had a better time alone than with a group. Met and partied with a bunch of folks and had a blast. It was nice to be able to get off alone when we wanted without having to worry about tending to others so-to-speak.

Wished I could come along with y'all on the scout out but looks like the scoot will be around December some time before we get her back, but she will have some nice new goodies besides the repairs once done

Y'all ride safe.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=StonerGlide;8869636]
Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
I would LOVE to meet up with everyone this weekend to scout - but unfortunately Mary and I may be out of town. We were going to the Thunder Beach Rally Thurs-Sun in Panama City - but the people we were going with all crapped out for various reasons. So now, we may be riding up to Gatlinburg and hanging out there for the duration. We don't know yet. We just need to get away from work and the house and the dogs for a couple of days...QUOTE]

Hawg, wife and I have gone to Thunder Beach last four years and two of those were by ourselves and quite frankly we probably had a better time alone than with a group. Met and partied with a bunch of folks and had a blast. It was nice to be able to get off alone when we wanted without having to worry about tending to others so-to-speak.

Wished I could come along with y'all on the scout out but looks like the scoot will be around December some time before we get her back, but she will have some nice new goodies besides the repairs once done

Y'all ride safe.
Thanks for the suggestion, Stoner. We are still undecided on the venue, but we both want to go somewhere. I'll talk with NGB and see what she thinks. Of course, we gave up our hotel room don there... so it might be a scramble...

Quick Reply: Scouting Ride - Sat. Oct 1st.