Notices
The Gun Enthusiast This forum is dedicated to firearms discussion only. Tell us about your favorite gun (stuff like that). There are to be "NO' anti firearms posts here.

Carrying while touring

Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Carrying while touring

So I have been thinking about this lately. Just looking for comments, opinions from other CCL people who tour.

We travel to N/C often and all the states I pass thru have reciprocity, as long as I stay away from S/C I don't have to lock it up.

Anyone ever have a run in with a LEO and be hassled for carrying out of state? Last thing I want is to have a trip ruined by an uninformed LEO.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Gtop
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.handgunlaw.us. I always refer to this website before going into another state. Laws can change quick. These guys seem to do a good job keeping it updated

The following users liked this post:
TXPHNDL (06-07-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Carry all the time going back and forth to TN from PA, but never been pulled over. The website Gtop posted is a good one as well as this one
gunstocarry

My brother is a state trooper in MI and I carry there also, he tells me to just notify the officer if I ever get pulled over.
Doesn't mean you won't find some LEO that isn't sure about a certain states reciprocity though.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Gtop

If you get pulled over. Keep your hands still and in plain sight. Tell the officer you are legally carrying and where the pistol is located. The officer will probably instruct you on how he wants to proceed from that point. Make the situation easy for him, follow instruction and dont make him nervous and I guarantee you will not have a problem.

RoaringRigid (06-11-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
vizcarmb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

If you get pulled over, you already done messed up. You will make the situation worse by saying you have a loaded gun with you. Dont get pulled over for doing stupid crap like speeding or anything ridiculous by getting pulled over in the first place.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 06-04-2018 at 02:30 PM.
BigWaterJim (06-06-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Gtop

Originally Posted by vizcarmb View Post
If you get pulled over, you already done messed up. You will make the situation worse by saying you have a loaded gun with you.
most states have a law saying you must inform if you're carrying. You are carrying with a permit. Not doing anything illegal

Old 06-04-2018, 02:53 PM
sailmotion
Club Member
Received 1,929 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtop View Post
most states have a law saying you must inform if you're carrying. You are carrying with a permit. Not doing anything illegal
I may be mistaken, but I believe those states which require a "duty to inform" upon being stopped for a traffic infraction are significantly in the minority - not the majority.

To the OP: I'm of the opinion that, as long as I am not in a "duty to inform" state, I do not volunteer that I'm carrying. However, I had an incident where I had a flat on the bike on the side of the Interstate in Connecticut. I have a non-resident CT permit. The Trooper who stopped to assist had me climbing around the bike to determine if I had enough air in the rear tire to drive to the nearest off-ramp. When it occurred to me that in the process of bending down and moving around, my shirt might ride up and/or the gun might print, I decided to disclose before I received an unwelcome WTF from the Trooper. His demeanor did not change and he merely asked to see my permit. He sat in the car for a few minutes and undoubtedly ran some info, but moments later he handed me back my permit and the issue was not mentioned again.

04ctd (06-07-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
moving around, my shirt might ride up and/or the gun might print, I decided to disclose before I received an unwelcome WTF from the Trooper. His demeanor did not change and he merely asked to see my permit. He sat in the car for a few minutes and undoubtedly ran some info, but moments later he handed me back my permit and the issue was not mentioned again.
This exactly why my brother told me to disclose right away. What happens if the officer ask you to get out of the car or off the bike to talk to him and he sees the imprint, holster, or gun? Better off informing him right away then cause a worse situation where you get an antsy LEO and he spots the firearm.

81rat (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 257 Posts

I have been stopped at a DUI check , The FIRST thing I did was to put my hands on the window sill and tell the State Trooper that I had a pistol on the seat ( pick-up ) , he said let me see --I did and he saw a .357 Blackhawk , his remark was nice have you had anything to drink tonight I said no that I don't drink and said have a good evening . I drove away

Old 06-04-2018, 04:23 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I wish we could carry. Pita to even own a hg in Canada. I have 5 retired LEOs and military vets living within a block of my house. None own a hg even though they were paid to carry for 25+ years. And the druggies are ripping us off blind. Sad state of affairs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carrying while touring

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: