Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > This 'n' That > The Gun Enthusiast
Reload this Page >

Hog Hunting w/thermal optics

Notices
The Gun Enthusiast This forum is dedicated to firearms discussion only. Tell us about your favorite gun (stuff like that). There are to be "NO' anti firearms posts here.

Hog Hunting w/thermal optics

Old 02-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Captain
Default Hog Hunting w/thermal optics

I've done the hogs and dogs thing a couple of times in Alabama, but I'm interested in doing some night work with a rifle sometime in the near future. Any of ya'll do any and, if so, what's your setup?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:25 AM
VAFish
Senior Rider

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72 View Post
I've done the hogs and dogs thing a couple of times in Alabama, but I'm interested in doing some night work with a rifle sometime in the near future. Any of ya'll do any and, if so, what's your setup?
I do, Go down to my cousins farm in Texas a couple times a year.

What is your financial point of pain?

We have a mix of night vision devices, mostly lower end stuff. The digital scopes like ATN X-Sight, Sightmark Photon's and the only thermal is a Sig Echo 1.

My personal gun is a .300 BLK AR15 with a ATN X-Sight 5x-14x. Works surprisingly well, but I needed an aftermarket IR illuminator. The Active IR illuminator splashes back a lot of light on brush and leaves so it doesn't work real well in thick stuff.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Captain

Originally Posted by VAFish View Post
I do, Go down to my cousins farm in Texas a couple times a year.

What is your financial point of pain?

We have a mix of night vision devices, mostly lower end stuff. The digital scopes like ATN X-Sight, Sightmark Photon's and the only thermal is a Sig Echo 1.

My personal gun is a .300 BLK AR15 with a ATN X-Sight 5x-14x. Works surprisingly well, but I needed an aftermarket IR illuminator. The Active IR illuminator splashes back a lot of light on brush and leaves so it doesn't work real well in thick stuff.
Friend of mine has an ATN X-Sight on an LWRC 308. He says it's "ok", but wishes he had just taken the plunge on a thermal unit. He said he had a hell of a time getting the illuminator aligned well enough to provide optimal light for the ATN. I think maybe I'll try to scrape the extra dough up and go with an Armasight/Flir Zeus 336 or Pulsar XQ50 for my CMMG Mutant.
One of the bigger advantages with the thermal, IMO, is the ability to scan large areas for heat signatures and then set up accordingly.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Thanked 2,109 Times in 883 Posts

Looks like fun. I hope to get to Texas in the near future to shoot some hogs. Not sure what gun I'd take though. Probably an AR in 6.8SPC.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM
benscratchin
Elite HDF Member
Thanked 1,527 Times in 821 Posts

Here's a YouTube link.
If it doesn't open, copy and paste it in your browser.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM
benscratchin
Elite HDF Member
Thanked 1,527 Times in 821 Posts
Default Hoggin

Another Hoggin YouTube

Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 AM
VAFish
Senior Rider

Friend of mine has an ATN X-Sight on an LWRC 308. He says it's "ok", but wishes he had just taken the plunge on a thermal unit. He said he had a hell of a time getting the illuminator aligned well enough to provide optimal light for the ATN. I think maybe I'll try to scrape the extra dough up and go with an Armasight/Flir Zeus 336 or Pulsar XQ50 for my CMMG Mutant.
One of the bigger advantages with the thermal, IMO, is the ability to scan large areas for heat signatures and then set up accordingly.
If you can scratch up the cash for thermal they are the way to go.

The Biggest problem with the ATN X-Sight or any other Digital Night Vision or Gen I and Gen II Light amplification is the use of the active IR illuminator. Anything between you and the critter splashes back the IR light and washes out the image, so tall grass, brush, leaves, branches, ect.... It really limits the use in thick stuff. The thermal doesn't have that problem, the objects will still block the thermal image from reaching you, but if the critter is only partially obscured you can still see the rest of them.

One other thing to look for is rechargeable or external battery packs. The old ATN's eat AA batteries in a couple hours. So to get more life out of them I turn the scope on for a while, scan around, turn it off, wait 15-20 minutes and repeat. Let me tell you your hunting buddies will never stop giving you crap when there are photos on the game camera while you were sitting in the stand. Had a whole sounder of hogs come in, eat the corn and leave in about 15 minutes.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 PM
1997bagger
Club Member

ATN Thor is popular in our area coyote hunting with a thermal handheld scanner, I use Wicked lights at night and just a back up when hunting with the Thermal guys, just not wanting to swing $4000 for the thermal and $2000 for a scanner but the thermal guys walk away with every coyote hunting tourny's and 1st place can be $2000 so pay to play. I have recorded hunts from the thermals on video and looks like a video game, just don't how to post the video.
Clearly a advantage at night hunting predators, don't know if hogs have the senses or learning ability of a predator so can't help you there but my buddies amazingly pick up predators hanging in tree lines from long range picking them off if they stay put, the neatest thing with a thermal is they still get them on a full sprint because like I said, looks just like a video game so could see the advantage on a running group of hogs with a thermal on a AR.

If someone could point me in a direction of loading a video I'll post it

Last edited by 1997bagger; 02-14-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Captain

Originally Posted by benscratchin View Post
Here's a YouTube link.
If it doesn't open, copy and paste it in your browser.
Always chuckle a little bit when they do the stanky leg after being popped.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Jetblack3
One Of The Regulars

Thermal all the way if you can swing the $$ / From there; theres Trijicon and then theres everybody else

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: