The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Lane Splitting

Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM
racerfranz
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lane Splitting

Okay,
I lived in Southern California for about 27 years, where lane splitting was legal.
I've been in Georgia now for about 11 years. Absolutely drives me crazy that motorcycles can't split lanes here. I've noticed that quite a few states don't permit it. What gives?
Anyone know if there is a movement to change this law. I just started back up riding on the street again. Feel like a sitting duck to get crushed in between two cars.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Georgia? Forward thinking? LOL!

I hear they actually have books in the colleges in Georgia. But, they still burn people for saying the Earth is round...

The following users liked this post:
the Dude of IB (11-13-2022)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

It's because car drivers can't stand you getting ahead of them.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 PM
racerfranz
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Georgia? Forward thinking? LOL!

I hear they actually have books in the colleges in Georgia. But, they still burn people for saying the Earth is round...
No, that's Alabama and Mississippi. ha ha. just kiddin' guys.

The lane splitting laws are about the only good thing left in California, and the weather, I suppose.

The following 2 users liked this post by racerfranz:
Droptune915 (04-05-2024), tamky (04-07-2024)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:39 PM
stator
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racerfranz
Okay,
I lived in Southern California for about 27 years, where lane splitting was is legal.
I've been in Georgia now for about 11 years. Absolutely drives me crazy that motorcycles can't split lanes here. I've noticed that quite a few states don't permit it. What gives?
Anyone know if there is a movement to change this law. I just started back up riding on the street again. Feel like a sitting duck to get crushed in between two cars.

Fixed it for you. Lane splitting regulations are about the only good thing about California nowadays besides the weather.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:32 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,376 Posts

Originally Posted by racerfranz
Okay,
I lived in Southern California for about 27 years, where lane splitting was legal.

Time to speak up and be an activist.
I'm a fairly outspoken Lane Filtering supporter and I know a few others.
I'd be more than willing to write a small speech and head down to the legislator for a hearing about Lane Filtering legalization bill.

Just remind people
1. It's Safer
2. It's better on your wallet because you use less gas.
3. It's better on the roads, because your bike uses less traveled and more durable segments.
4. It reduces traffic.
5. It costs the government less in taxes because motorcycles are incentivized to ride more and motorcycles do 16x less damage than cars to the roads, and so roads last longer and less you're paying for transit taxiation.

Legalize Lane Filtering, it's not just a good idea, it's one that helps everyone.

The following 3 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Paintslinger16 (03-28-2024), the Dude of IB (11-13-2022), willcasp (11-03-2022)
Old 03-28-2024, 08:14 AM
AZBadgerFan
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Lane filtering became legal in Arizona in 2022 but many motorists don't realize it based on the honks and middle fingers I get. Other than that it works very well and is a godsend!

Droptune915 (04-05-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:49 AM
HD_noobie
Road Captain
Received 459 Likes on 243 Posts

Just sounds like a good way to die, least here in Ohio

PFWiz (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:52 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Time to speak up and be an activist.
I'm a fairly outspoken Lane Filtering supporter and I know a few others.
I'd be more than willing to write a small speech and head down to the legislator for a hearing about Lane Filtering legalization bill.

Just remind people
1. It's Safer
2. It's better on your wallet because you use less gas.
3. It's better on the roads, because your bike uses less traveled and more durable segments.
4. It reduces traffic.
5. It costs the government less in taxes because motorcycles are incentivized to ride more and motorcycles do 16x less damage than cars to the roads, and so roads last longer and less you're paying for transit taxiation.

Legalize Lane Filtering, it's not just a good idea, it's one that helps everyone.
It seems strange and terrifying to me, having not ever lived in a state where that is legal. But I also don't deal with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic, either.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:37 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,508 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
It seems strange and terrifying to me, having not ever lived in a state where that is legal. But I also don't deal with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic, either.
On my side of the mountain (sHe lives on the west side) they would open the car door on you. Nobody around here is going to play nice with this. I have already witnessed it

I wouldn’t try it with a Street Glide anyway, but I was certainly guilty of “sharing” when I was aboard my Hayabusa, ZX12r and others.

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
702 (03-28-2024), TwiZted Biker (03-29-2024)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lane Splitting