The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Attn:NJ Riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Markusm
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn:NJ Riders

All riders, not just here in Jersey take heed. I am listing this first under
Motorcycle Activist but just looking thru responses it seems not to many are,
well, active.

Date: April 28, 2009 10:39:27 AM EDT
To: fossils@casano.com
Subject: fossils 650% increase in MC registrations! Act today!

Unless you want $65/year registration fees, print and mail a letter TODAY!

This from another email from Abate:

"The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) has granted our request for an
extension to the public comment period regarding the huge increase being
proposed for motorcycle registration fees. In case you are not aware, the MVC
is proposing to raise this fee from the current level of $10 per year for
registering your motorcycle to $65 per year and it could even be as high as
$86.50 per year! The cost to register an automobile will not increase, so if
this proposal is approved, it will be more expensive to register your bike
than it is to register most cars!

"The public comment period was extended until May 2nd. So if you have not
already written a letter to the MVC expressing your displeasure, please do so
before the deadline. If motorcyclists have any chance at all to stop this
outrageously large (650%) increase, the MVC need to hear from you.

"To make it as simple as possible for you to send your comments, ABATE has
pre-written four letters from which you can choose. Just pick the one that
best expresses how you feel about this injustice to the motorcyclists of New
Jersey and mail it in after filling out the bottom section.

"Go to http://www.gardenstateabate.org/ and click the link at the top of the
yellow area on the home page that says "MVC Comment period extended to May
2nd". Then just follow the instructions on the call to action page. NOTE:
This is for ALL motorcyclists, not just ABATE members.

"ABATE has recently learned that the MVC has received only a small number of
letters thus far, but this number is not near enough to have the impact we
need for change.

"Don't just sit back and let this happen to us! If you don't want this
increase we need you to send your letters today - don't delay, time is running
out.

Thanks,
Jim Parker
ABATE of the Garden State
Legislative Coordinator, Alt.
NJ Dist. 23"

Note, the action page can be found under "legislative"

Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Markusm
Road Master

bump it

Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Markusm
Road Master

did I mention I choose letter #3 in the pre written letter thingy

Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 PM
pontiac80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i'll send all of them in.

thats why i got QQ plates on my bike life time registration.

registration is aload of bull****

I was thinking of joining ABATE put are guys really doing anything about the helmet law?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Attn: NJ Riders

Markusm,

The text of the letter I sent to the NJMVC on April 18, 2009 is printed below. Thanks for helping to get the comment period extended. I got my friends who ride to send letters to the MVC also. What is with the State of New Jersey? The reasoning in their rule proposal was questionable, and I called them on it. Wish I had more time to advocate for rider's rights, but, like a lot of people, I have to work, maintain a home, and raise a family. Our elected and appointed representatives need to do a better job. Schmucks!

Ride with Fury,
Lorddaftbiker

Steven E. Robinson, Director
Legal & Regulatory Affairs
Motor Vehicle Commission
225 E. State Street
P.O. Box 162
Trenton, N.J. 08666-0162

Re: Proposed Amendments to Motorcycle Registration Fees
At 41 N.J.R. 862(a)

Dear Mr. Robinson:

I am writing to register my disapproval of the proposed rate increase for motorcycle registration in my State, specifically, proposed N.J.A.C. 13:21-5.5. You are unfairly singling out motorcyclists to bear this increase in fees. Please explain the following:

1. Why did you increase the motorcycle base registration fee from $10 to $65, an increase of 650%, on motorcycles only and not cars, trucks, and all other vehicles that you register? Please provide an economic analysis of the actual cost of registering a car or truck versus a motorcycle.

2. In your Summary, you state that the actual costs of the Commission for issuing a motorcycle registration is $70.17. This is hard to believe. Registration certificates for motorcycles aren’t even laminated anymore. You pay for the cost of a mailing to a citizen, the citizen pays for the cost of mailing back to you, and your employees enter data into a computer (or the citizen does it for them online) and then you mail a flimsy registration certificate to the citizen. How does this cost $70.17? Please explain the details of every cost to the MVC, and state whether contract vendors are involved and describe their fees to the MVC.

3. Please explain how the MVC considered the following in its determination to propose raising motorcycle registration fees:

a. The amount of wear and tear that motorcycles cause to our roads compared to cars & trucks.
b. The public policy of our State and Country that encourages citizens to purchase and use fuel efficient vehicles and whether the MVC considers motorcycles to be fuel efficient vehicles.

Thank you for your attention to these comments, I look forward to the MVC’s responses.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Markusm
Road Master

Thats a great letter, You covered issues we've been discussing .
I would be ammazed if you got a response. The "trough feeders" in this state are really
state of the art. The bureaucracy is so large and corrupted, Its become a career instead of
public service. You would litteraly have to guit you job and spend 80 hrs a week keeping
tabs of the new methods of extortion they are hatching.
I find it interesting that Applebees can offer a free appatizer and two antrees for $20.
but the state can't print a piece of paper while you are standing there, for less.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Post Attn: NJ Riders

Thank you, sir. I tried to hit the main issues and force the regulators to answer the tough questions. In the NJ rulemaking process, agencies are required to answer all rule comments in their Notice of Adoption. Accordingly, they will have to respond to my questions or it will lay the groundwork for a formal court challenge to the validity of the rules after they adopt them. Since the MVC (I hate that name, DMV was better, thank F@##*!g McGreevey) is burdening us with increased fees, due process requires that they respond to our formal rule comments. They don't have to agree, but they can't blow us off. I am not optimistic about the prospects for a successful court challenge to these rate hikes on due process grounds, but sometimes the prosect of being hassled in court makes a difference to these agencies. There is no reward for taking a stand in state government, nobody wants to make waves, which is why the lobbyists & special interests almost always get their way. At the director level & above, there is no union protection (read "permanant status"), so those officials bend like reeds in the wind. The lower level career civil servants can't be fired, and are therefore often willing to take a stand, but they get over-ruled by the powerful political appointees. Democracy in action, my friend. Oh, well, we'll see how it goes.

In other news, you have a beautiful bike! I'd upload pictures of my Super Glide, but my 10 megapixel camera pics are too big file-wise for this site. If there's a way to beat that, I don't know it. Shame it's raining today & will rain for days. I did get a short ride in yesterday, though, and it felt great.

Enjoy the Goodness,
Lorddaftbiker

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Markusm
Road Master

"Thank you, sir. I tried to hit the main issues and force the regulators to answer the tough questions. In the NJ rulemaking process, agencies are required to answer all rule comments in their Notice of Adoption. Accordingly, they will have to respond to my questions or it will lay the groundwork for a formal court challenge to the validity of the rules after they adopt them. Since the MVC (I hate that name, DMV was better, thank F@##*!g McGreevey) is burdening us with increased fees, due process requires that they respond to our formal rule comments. They don't have to agree, but they can't blow us off."

Well, ya learn something every day, living in NJ all my life I always felt like I had a target afixed to my wallet,like we are pigions for the plucking. I quess thats why education is so important, all we were taught in school was the 3 Rs
I have always believed there should be some kind "owners manual" per se.
You get out w/highschool ed but now knowledge of how to navigate the biggest influences in life such as Law and Politics.
Enough rambling

You should try changing the size of the pics in photo shop or in my case I-photo. with the apple its easy.

The rain is a downer, I planned on meeting my son,Who is a first sargent in the army stationed in FT Ustes Va. He just bought a Bmw k1300s.
we were planning on crusing the Blueridge Moutain Parkway the 8th-10th
but we'll see.
Love to get my ol fatboy out there.

Markus

Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Default Attn: NJ Riders

Markusm,

I modified a pic of my Super Glide, hope it loads correctly. The K1300S is a very nice machine, but it sounds like a sewing machine. A buddy of mine wants one in "lava," which is Beemer speak for orange, and he can afford it, but he's so cheap... er, thrifty, sometimes I doubt whether he'll actually drop the cash for it. Nice bike, though, I could enjoy one myself for the limited purpose for which it was created. I sat on it and there's just one riding position - bent over and leaning on your wrists. No highway pegs, just bend over and tuck in behind the fairing for a 175 hp journey to the triple digits. My buddy tells me there's a kit to raise the handlebars, but I suspect it won't do much. It's a fantastic young man's bike.

Kudos to your son, I have great respect for those who serve. It would be great if you get to hook up and cruise the Blueridge Parkway. I've done it many times by cage, this June I'll do it by bike. My best friend and I are planning to cruise down to the dragon & hit the scenic and twisty roads that come our way. I love Beemers & Ducs & Harleys, but I love my prejudices...the world has produced many great bikes, but there is none greater than H-D. Your Fat Boy will set a glorious example for your son. Even my Beemer lusting friend said the other day that the K-bike is missing the right sound...

Party On,
Lorddaftbiker

Attached Thumbnails Attn:NJ Riders-super-glide-1.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac80
i think i'll send all of them in.

thats why i got QQ plates on my bike life time registration.

registration is aload of bull****
Just got my Historic plates... $ 44.00 registration good for three years, and re-new WITHOUT making anymore payments, plus No inspection !

Quick Reply: Attn:NJ Riders