The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Michigan Helmet Law Insurance ? Answered

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
U.P. Lou
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan Insurance

I recently switched insurance from Progressive to Auto Owners in MIchigan. When switching I told new agent that I did not need the medical coverage as I was covered for medical expenses by Medicare and Blue Cross/Blue Shield supplemental, and that progressive agent had waived the medical coverage in my prior policy because of that. New agent told me that Medicare does not cover motorcycle accidents and therefore Blue Cross would not either, and that I had been riding for a year with no medical coverage. Did not check further, for the cost, took the medical coverage. Don't know how true this is, but did not want to take any chances. Normally wear a helmet.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Medicare and Bluecross, in Michigan, are not primary coverage insurers when you are injured in a vehicle accident, be it car or motorcycle. Most agents know which companies can be primary. But its the insureds responsibility to confirm that. So what would happen is that Blue Care or Medicare would deny the claim, then your auto/bike ins carrier would be billed and then usually if they deny it the regular medical will cover it after all. But remember you will have deductibles. The other weird thing about it is that if you opted out of medical coverage on your auto/bike policy it would probably be a huge hassle.
This per my wife who worked in Michigan in the insurance industry for near 30 years.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your ride without a helmet and sustain a head injury 20k will not be enough. I'v seen head injury patients stay a month in the hospital then go to rehab for who knows how long. I think you should buy a 200.00 helmet and save your money.