The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Michigan Helmet Law Insurance ? Answered

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan Helmet Law Insurance ? Answered

Found this on Abate Michigan website.

Dondi Vesprini, atty. posted "Keep in mind that the medical coverage must be on the motorcycle insurance policy in order to ride without a helmet. If you have medical coverage from other sources (i.e., health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, auto insurance, etc.), you cannot rely on this to ride without a helmet. The medical coverage must be specifically provided for on your motorcycle insurance policy."

http://www.abateofmichigan.org/DondiVesprini.htm

Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

I am curious how this works for out of state riders. I asked my insurer (State Farm), and they said the max they will provide is 1K of medical on the motorcycle policy.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sure is ridiculous. Let me see I have a one million dollar limit on my HAP policy but I have to purchase 20k to ride without a helmet? It doesn't matter much to me though because I'm always riding with a helmet.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw
I am curious how this works for out of state riders. I asked my insurer (State Farm), and they said the max they will provide is 1K of medical on the motorcycle policy.
That means you have to purchase additional coverage if you want to ride without a helmet in Michigan. Of course there's no way of proving you have medical coverage on the policy unless you're going to ride with a copy of your declaration sheet and certificate of insurance.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
kzoo
Road Master

Originally Posted by jamesw
I too have State Farm, no problem adding 20k Ins.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
That means you have to purchase additional coverage if you want to ride without a helmet in Michigan. Of course there's no way of proving you have medical coverage on the policy unless you're going to ride with a copy of your declaration sheet and certificate of insurance.

Maybe State Farm will do it for you in MI, but as I said, I CANNOT buy anymore than 1K. I asked if it was possible and was told no.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,841 Likes on 8,408 Posts

Obviously, a very well thought out plan. (said in snide tone of voice). For cryin out loud, how long have they been kicking this bill around in the halls of Michigan Congress? You would think these points would have been figured out. That's what tells me that it was all about politics and makin money off the issue.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM
My401k
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barjbar
That sure is ridiculous. Let me see I have a one million dollar limit on my HAP policy but I have to purchase 20k to ride without a helmet? It doesn't matter much to me though because I'm always riding with a helmet.
Here is the way it was explained to me by my insurance agent:

The additional $20,000 medical rider is only used in a single vehicle accident (involving your bike only, no other car/bike/truck/whatever).

If another vehicle is involved, it automatically defaults to the comprehensive portion of your policy. If you have an auto accident, no-fault insurance pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits, replacement services, and the damage you do to other people’s property. It does not matter who caused the accident.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
kzoo
Road Master

From Michigan State Police Legal Update:

MCL 257.658 does not require a motorcycle
operator to carry proof that he or she has possessed a motorcycle endorsement for at least two
years or has successfully passed the motorcycle safety course.

Additionally, the law does not require a motorcycle operator or passenger carry proof of the
$20,000 security required to operate or ride a motorcycle without a
helmet.
Officers are reminded that an officer must
have articulable and reasonable suspicion that a violation of the Michigan Vehicle Code has
occurred in order to lawfully stop a vehicle for a violation of the Michigan Vehicle Code.
For example, officers may not stop a motorcycle operator for not wearing a helmet based on the
mere possibility the operator or passenger may not be exempt from the requirement to wear a
helmet. Officers must possess facts rising to the level of reasonable suspicion that the operator
or passenger is required to wear and helmet and is violating the requirement.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM
steveallstate
Stage I

Your right, the law doesn't require you to carry proof that you carry the required 20,000 medical. The amount of money is very small. You might as well be covered.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 10-01-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: No free advertising by a non-sponsor!

Quick Reply: Michigan Helmet Law Insurance ? Answered