The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 PM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianD90
I use the pole sold right on the PGR website...only 19 inches stowed and over 6ft when extended.
The PGR website was always sold out of the poles so I bought an identical one on Amazon, same price, bought the 3'x 5' flag on Amazon but got the cover on the PGR website.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

I bought the PGR collapsible, but really dont like it (does not stay locked in position and would like something taller).

Ideally, I'm looking for:

- breaks down into sections that fit in a saddlebag
- sections lock securely into place (pins/tabs or screws together ?)
- flag attachment that allows flag to rotate/twist in the wind (hope that
made sense)

Any suggestions, web links, etc welcomed.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 PM
BigRedUltra
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried the camera mono pole. It worked but I thought it was too short. Gave it to a PGR member. Now I'm just using the three piece flag pole that came with the flag. It breaks down into 3 pieces and fits in the saddlebag. I had to put a golf grip on the end though as it just looked cheap with nothing on the end. If I was still riding with the PGR I would buy their pole. Just haven't found a group down here in my area that is close by yet.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Are you saying you'd get the PGR telescopic pole? Or does PGR have another option that I have not seen?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I bought the PGR collapsible, but really dont like it (does not stay locked in position and would like something taller).

Ideally, I'm looking for:

- breaks down into sections that fit in a saddlebag
- sections lock securely into place (pins/tabs or screws together ?)
- flag attachment that allows flag to rotate/twist in the wind (hope that
made sense)

Any suggestions, web links, etc welcomed.
I've had the PGR collapsible pole for many years now and have had no problems with it not staying locked. When I'm not using it for a mission it is mounted on my front door overhang. Never had an issue with it collapsing there either.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:14 AM
tututaka
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's 18" in this photo

The top shines like glass, camera dosn't do it justice

The pole is so long I couldn't get it all in the picture w/o going outside. It is 1/2 circumference at the top section
I saw a post somewhere awhile back, I don't remember where but the person suggested a golf ball retrieve pole. I was out riding about a week ago when I went by a golf course and I remembered that post so I needed a cigarette anyway so I stopped to take a look see. They just happened to have quite a few. I had looked at about 10 of them and they were either too long to fit the saddle bag or to flimsy to hold a flag. Then I saw the one in the pictures I posted. It is heavy it closes up at about 18 inches, made of pretty heavy gauge aluminum. It was 14 feet long, but the top 4 was too light to hold a flag, so I cut the top 4 feet off. I now have a collapsible flag pole the will extend to any size I want from 18 inches to 10 feet. Now I do not have a brand name. But I do have a store name where I bought it. Which I will give at the end I'm in the process of turning it in to a pole. I cut the top off and drilled a golf ball the size of the top, I didn't have gold paint so I painted the golf ball red and sprayed it with a whole can of clear coat, it looks like glass. I am still figuring out the hooks for the flag. The top section of the pole is 1/2" the bottom is 7/8"
I bought this at a golf course called Fiddlers Green, on Hwy 99 between Junction City and Eugene, Oregon. I hope this helps

Old 10-21-2018, 02:06 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

With a 6ft pole the 3x5 flag doesn't touch the ground if it is set on the end. I found a 72" mono camera pole on EBay for $20. It has the nice clamp locks and needed an end cover after I removed the camera mount. I used the slip cover from the old PGR pole that slid over the foam handle on the mono pole.For the flag clips I used the ones from the old PGR pole also.
Everything works perfectly! When extended the flag is held tight to the pole.
There are cheaper mono poles there , but I didn't want to take a chance on a cheap one. This one even comes with a cover so I just roll the flag up on the collapsed pole and put everything in the cover. It fits in the tour pac.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/72-Lightweight-Monopod-For-Canon-Nikon-Sony-Camera-Camcorder-Quick-Release/152454562561?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-30-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:36 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

In my area we use 2 4ft. sections of 1" sch 40 PVC with the flags zip tied to the pole. Some use threaded joints, some twist . which every you use don't overtighten, it will take 3 people to get them apart. I also carry one with 4 2ft. sections in my bike that way I always have a flag. When you so this make sure the bottom zip tie is around the pole and not through it other wise the stress take the joints apart will tear at the flag.

The following users liked this post:
sloufoot (11-01-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Around here we have several road captains and a few cagers that bring the flags, they use 8' PVC pipe cut in half with a threaded union to join the two pieces back together.

I use a 6' pole on the back of my bike when flying a 3x5 flag. Planning on making a 2' extension for it so I end up with a 8' pole that matches every one else.