The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

For guys that run big Flags..with pics.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:07 PM
tankthebiker
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 121 Posts

Looks great!

The following users liked this post:
Ziggie (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Ziggie
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would seem that I've built a pretty sturdy set up. Had a guy riding behind me last weekend, and he said the pole was rock steady up to about 50 MPH or so, then it started to dance a little bit under the stress of the flag. Briefly had it up to about 65 or so with a 20+ MPH headwind on Saturday afternoon, and all was well. Not anticipating flying my flag at highway speeds, but it's good to know that the pole and mount is up to the task should it be necessary from time to time.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Looks good...except for the bungee cord to the rack. We need to do better than that. Zipties maybe, but not a bungee. Hose clamps aren't chrome friendly, so they're out. Can't recommend PVC either. I'd want a setup that can withstand 100mph in a 40 mph head wind...

Old 06-19-2016, 01:22 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

If you want to keep your flags longer and stop the fraying on the ends.. go to Walmart and get a small bottle of Liquid Seam Sealer - lay your flag out on a table - put news paper under the flag along the end seam - SOAK the seam to about an inch inboard - all along the seam - flip the flag over and do the same for the other side - this Will seal the trailing edge - I have done this to my 3x5 and have run it many times - I have a set up by Al Rock - Gilroy, CA - no longer makes flag mounts - his were sold Stainless steal - mounted to receiver - poles were also stainless steel with hardwood dowels run thru the poles - great set up and solid as the day is long... I can run mine at freeway speed but will not (switch to 2x3) off the freeway and 55 max - run the 3x5 all day long

The following users liked this post:
RoBB Randolph (01-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,230 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Per the picture in my signature:
- 3x5 flag from Gettysburg Flag Works.
- added extra grommets as the OP.
- 1.5" galvanized pipe painted with silver Rustoleum
- top final from a Costco flag pole
- threaded eyes bolted through the pole
- flag attached to eyes with screw shackles
- Rivco flag mount on a Rivco hitch

It has survived speeds up to 70. Some of our processions on the freeway tend to slinky. And with me usually bringing up the rear...well we get going pretty well.

Oh yeah...the picture was with a Costco aluminum pole, with the rotating plastic holders. That did not not hold up. So, it was replaced with the flag described above.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:43 PM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
With all due respect, here in Minnesota we do not allow anyone to run a large 3x5 at highway speed on missions. The liability is just too great. We limit it to 35 mph or less, such as in a slow funeral procession from church to cemetery.
It was our liability as an organization. Can you imagine the lawsuit, should a flag come off, and cause an accident to a rider behind us?
Please explain to me the "Liability" of the 3x5 flags. Honest question.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by yzernie
Please explain to me the "Liability" of the 3x5 flags. Honest question.
Honest answer. If an organization "endorses" the flying of a flag that they know could come off at highway speed, and injures a following rider, who is the attorney going to sue? The rider flying the flag, or the organization who "allowed" it? Well, the attorney will sue both, and collect from the one with the biggest policy.

From personal experience: A 3x5 flag acts as a sail. You will feel the drag at highway speed and it will move you on the road. As per my previous post: Stick a 3x5 out your car window and see if you can hang on to it at 60 mph. That's the same force that's on the back of your bike! I have personally followed another PGR rider who had a flag pole made from water pipe and watched it fail from vibration. It looked like a tree falling in the forest.

Here's our safety guidelines. Scroll down to "Member guidelines".

http://www.mnpatriotguard.org/safety...Guidelines.pdf

If your flag pole fails and causes injury to a rider behind you, you are liable. What part of that needs explanation?

P.s. In case some might think I'm just talking out of my tailpipe, I ran an insurance agency from 1980 to 1992.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-06-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Bigfoot21075
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I remember seeing where displaying a 3x5 flag at highway speeds greatly contributed to clutch wear. I think Harley eventually gave in to this guy though...

https://jalopnik.com/harley-denied-t...but-1584531157

Old 10-17-2017, 02:14 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

You might be correct, but the last I read was he paid for things himself. Harley suffered a lot of bad publicity over that. But they proved their warranty decisions are final. NOT RIGHT, JUST FINAL !!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:08 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Honest answer. If an organization "endorses" the flying of a flag that they know could come off at highway speed, and injures a following rider, who is the attorney going to sue? The rider flying the flag, or the organization who "allowed" it? Well, the attorney will sue both, and collect from the one with the biggest policy.
Another thought worth keeping in mind is that if the "organization" is not incorporated or otherwise organized into some liability limiting entity (like a limited liability company), the lawyer will sue every single member of the "organization" and every single member of the organization will be liable for the acts of the one member. And guess what, it won't even matter whether the organization "endorsed" flying the flag and probably not whether they "knew" it could come off at highway speed. If any member of an "organization" is negligent while acting within the scope of his role as a member of the organization, the organization and all of its members are likely to be held responsible for damages caused by that negligence. This will include even members of the organization who were not present when the negligence occurred.