The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

Parade Flag Holder

Old 10-07-2016, 07:10 PM
SMsgt Tom
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rivco Parade flag receiver mount

I notice a lot of posters have the Rivco setup. I've just purchased the complete setup for a 2014 Limited. It's a simple install, but I can't seem to get the receivers aligned properly so that the mount itself will slide right in. I've verified that I have them on the correct side, but it's still a very tight fit. I'd say it's off about 1/2 the diameter of the hole. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? I plan to call Rivco Monday to check if I' missing something.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SMsgt Tom
I notice a lot of posters have the Rivco setup. I've just purchased the complete setup for a 2014 Limited. It's a simple install, but I can't seem to get the receivers aligned properly so that the mount itself will slide right in. I've verified that I have them on the correct side, but it's still a very tight fit. I'd say it's off about 1/2 the diameter of the hole. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? I plan to call Rivco Monday to check if I' missing something.
I loosen all 4 bolts on the rods, slide it in, install the pins, then tighten the bolts. I completely remove the bolts occasionally to see if they are showing any stress and so far, after about 5 years worth of missions, no problems. I did replace the aluminum rods with 1018 steel immediately though, I fly 2 3x5's above "Parade" speed a lot.

Last edited by Lakerat; 10-07-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:43 PM
SMsgt Tom
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default security pin

Has anyone had a problem with the Rivco flag mount and 3 piece flag pole coming out of the mount? Looks to me like a hole should be through the mount to secure the pole with a pin or bolt. Has anyone drilled one?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Has anyone had a problem with the Rivco flag mount and 3 piece flag pole coming out of the mount? Looks to me like a hole should be through the mount to secure the pole with a pin or bolt. Has anyone drilled one?
Haven't lost either of mine yet.......but I only fly two.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:40 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I tried posting this on the touring forum, but this group seems to be more focused on this issue so I hope you can help me out.

I have a 2009 Road King Classic with the docking hardware for detachable luggage rack and backrest (or tourpak, which is what I have on there right now). I am trying to install the Rivco Mounting System so I can carry a flag in the parade this weekend. Trouble is the mounting bracket doesn't line up with the holes in my fender.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong or is the bracket defective. It's the same on both sides. This picture shows where the top of the bracket ends up when I have the bottom of the bracket loosely attached. Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-2017, 01:31 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

I made my own mounts almost a copy of the Rivco. My staffs fit the holder very close, but I drilled the staff and put in a ring to hook a bunji in it & to a ring below the holder tube. A bolt or a pin would work also. But if you do that the hole will likely be off just enough to only fit the one tube. (Murphy's Law)
Can't even pull them out by hand. I don't like accidents !

Last edited by sloufoot; 06-10-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
I tried posting this on the touring forum, but this group seems to be more focused on this issue so I hope you can help me out.

I have a 2009 Road King Classic with the docking hardware for detachable luggage rack and backrest (or tourpak, which is what I have on there right now). I am trying to install the Rivco Mounting System so I can carry a flag in the parade this weekend. Trouble is the mounting bracket doesn't line up with the holes in my fender.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong or is the bracket defective. It's the same on both sides. This picture shows where the top of the bracket ends up when I have the bottom of the bracket loosely attached. Any suggestions?

I realize this post is old but if you haven't given up or better yet, figured it out, I had the same problem on my 2014 until I realized I had the mounts reversed, left on the right, etc. It still didn't line up perfect but with a little pushing and pulling, I got mine to line up.

On another topic, I followed the OP's lead and went to Lowes and bought the hardware, including the clamps. By the time I got my clamps squeezed together, they were in rough shape. So since I also used Lowes expandable chrome closet rods for flag poles, I decided to dress up the clamps some. I found clamps on eBay that are used for road pegs. They are chrome and cheap. I think I paid around $20 for a set, but it really dresses it up. I also used Mother's Aluminum polish on the aluminum straps and to keep the shine, coated them with clearcoat. I also got some chrome button head bolts and acorn nuts to finish off the job. To attach it to the bike, I have the 4-point dock and I just removed the aft lug, slid the strap on and reinstalled the lug.

The following users liked this post:
KeyResults (03-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:31 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Nice clean mount !
The mount I did leaves the flags to where I can take them out and use in the flag line if needed. Often there is someone without a flag, so I need to have something that comes out easily
I really like those clamps and poles !

Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator5456
I realize this post is old but if you haven't given up or better yet, figured it out, I had the same problem on my 2014 until I realized I had the mounts reversed, left on the right, etc. It still didn't line up perfect but with a little pushing and pulling, I got mine to line up.
Thanks for thinking of me. I finally realized that the brackets in the photo in the instructions were shaped to go around the saddlebag support. The brackets I had were not. Rivco sent me a replacement— too late for the parade of course — and the replacement worked just fine. I am all set for next year!

Evidently the brackets I received initially were mislabeled because although the box was labeled for my model year, they were not the correct brackets.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Eddie84
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TooEasy, What a great write up and photos about the PGR flag holder system. I'm also PGR Ride Captain in northern Alabama. I had a homemade system for my Kawaski Vulcan which I jus sold. I purchased a 17 utra CVO. Do you know if the mounting brackets that come with the purchased RIVCO system will mount on my CVO/
Thanks in advanced and thanks for you military and PGR service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parade Flag Holder