Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   2003 Road King w/ High(?) Miles?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1007481-2003-road-king-w-high-miles.html)

Mongoose59 10-25-2014 05:47 PM

2003 Road King w/ High(?) Miles??

Have a chance to pick up a 2003 Road King that appears to be in excellent shape - number of very tasteful mods. Over 40K miles - what questions should I ask of the owner, AND what do I need to know about the bike?

A bit of history about me - rode from '77 to '04 - (from '84 to '04 on a GoldWing - lot of highway touring). Want to get back into riding and want a Road King. Like the options of more wind or less wind, like hard bags vice soft, and I don't want a radio - like feeling the road and hearing the engine regardless of the vehicle I'm driving (I make exceptions when the fam's with me during trips for reasons of self-preservation...).

Thanks in advance!!

Prime Rib 10-25-2014 05:49 PM

Ask him if the Cam Chain Tensioners have been replaced.

shredder22 10-25-2014 05:59 PM

How much...? Price would make a big difference to me in reference to High mileage. You can replace anything if the price is right. jmo, good luck

Neggy ZRXOA 5248 10-25-2014 06:01 PM

40 K on a normal usage bike isn't a lot.

the weak point is the cam tensioners, they really need to be done every 20K unless there has been an upgrade done inside the cam chest.

The fuel regulator and hoses inside the tank are problematic if it is FI'd, not an expensive fix.

If it is belt drive, it is time for a new one at 40K and that is not cheap to do.

that and normal wear & tear items (brakes, caliper service, fluid flush, front fork oil replacement and or seal service) can add up.

research those issues and price accordingly

Mongoose59 10-25-2014 06:28 PM

Thanks for the input! She's priced below book - and I'd be buying sight unseen... Saw another thread from a member in similar situation, and those who responded had had good luck doing same - so I'm not too uncomfortable.

Looking to pull the trigger on this within a day, if I get a good feeling from the seller's answers... Any last minute advice?

Thanks again!

Bill03E 10-25-2014 06:41 PM

I know of many many belts that have way over 100k miles on them, and they are on bikes older than mine, so I wouldn't worry to much about that.
Cam chain tensioners are a big deal if they have not been changed, that will cost you about $1000.00 to do an upgrade. If the bike is injected, you WILL have to change the fuel line in the tank, the question is RIGHT NOW, or down the road in a year, or so. that costs about $300.00.
Other than those things they are pretty good bikes, and you shouldn't spend over $8k on one that is an 03.

Mongoose59 10-25-2014 06:55 PM

Bill03E -
Thanks - I'm in the ball park re cost - and she's carbureted. :))

Bill03E 10-25-2014 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoose59 (Post 13355534)
Bill03E -
Thanks - I'm in the ball park re cost - and she's carbureted. :))

Sounds like you have a good deal there. Is it black with silver or silver with black? OR white, or red?

Mongoose59 10-25-2014 07:06 PM

Black w/ the obligatory chrome :)

wiseguyups 10-25-2014 07:12 PM

I didn't have to replace my cam chain tensioner until 70k miles, at about 115k miles I rebuilt the top end and also put in the SE cam chest with the better tensioners. I recommend that upgrade. Drive belts generally should average around 70k miles, that's when my first one let go, I heard of others lasting over 100k miles. My second drive belt lasted just over 50k miles. 40k miles is not a lot of miles if taken care of ie fluids changed. Other things to look at is the front motor mount. Harleys are easy and even fun to work on, I've done pretty much all my own work and I'm no mechanic. Pick up either a clymer or Harley repair manual and the Harley parts manual and you should be able to make any future repairs.