Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines FP3 Bluetooth tuner review

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines FP3 Bluetooth tuner review

Its been covered I'm sure but heres my perspective of the FP3. Finally made up my mind and got my pipes in. V&H power duals with the x pipe and 4" Rinehart slip on's. Pipes sound sick and are throaty and loud when you jump on it but pretty mild at idle.
The Bike ran ok but needed a tune. I originally was going to do the screaming eagle pak and have it dyno tuned but since its basically stock (which is cool by me) and this new Bluetooth FP3 V&H tuner with iPhone app sounded so cool I went that direction.

Older tuners I have got are basically "tricking" the computer and altering the signals coming into it, (the pod types where you adjust it). Those types are fine but no doubt this new FP3 is an entirely different level of tuning actually changing the computer mapping altering cells for fuel and spark advance/retard etc.. V&H really stepped up their tuning ability with this setup.

Its allowing for "simple" quick setup for guys who aren't maybe into tweaking who just want to enter their system/setup and they have a lot of preloaded tunes to just do that. That Takes about 5 minutes to add a tune. The FP3 box is a simple plug in deal and can be put into a slot above the fuses about the size of 2 cigarette lighters.
The autotune feature is really trick and very advanced yet simple to do. after I adjusted a few things (lowered idle down to 950 after the bike is over 175 degrees raised rev limiter up to 6400 and added some fuel in a couple spots for example) I did the auto tune feature which takes a few rides for the gadget to "watch" and get a feel for your bike and alter cells but really tightens up the tune and had my bike really purring, getting rid of any lean issues (taking some of the heat away at highway speeds) and really helping the exhaust work perfect with the engine, the tone and feel at cruise speed was really nice and helped the feel/ride immensely
:icon_banan a::icon_ban ana::icon_b anana:
The auto tune feature isn't for you I don't believe if your bike is to wild (bigger cams, pistons, "flow" work where you are into HP and rideability might not be an issue) but for most guys You will be amazed.

So if you are into simple plug and play then simply enter your bike setup and go,,, if you are into tinkering or adjusting you own mapping adjustments its great for both guys. Gotta be one of the better mod's I have seen. worth 350$ all day!!! Ride safe, paul
Name:  fuel_zps56d42f9a.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  fuel6_zpsd7be5da8.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  199.2 KB
Name:  fuel7_zpsb9750d48.png
Views: 1023
Size:  70.1 KBName:  fuel5_zpsf3a80585.png
Views: 997
Size:  213.3 KB
Name:  fuel4_zpsa48c9fea.png
Views: 1166
Size:  149.7 KB

Old 10-29-2014, 08:13 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All tuners will be Blue Tooth soon, it was inevitable...TMax will issue their own soon....no better tech at present.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

where did you pull the idle down at? I have one but haven't seen that option.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:15 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the review, I got mine for $300 from Kutter HD. Dropping the bike off Saturday morning to get my dresser duals & stage 1 aircleaner installed & then after getting the bike back I'm going to play with the fp3. Can't wait to get everything done Saturday!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shore
where did you pull the idle down at? I have one but haven't seen that option.
go into your own map and toward the bottom you will see this

then go into idle and you will see this, mess with it and you will figure it out. Here are my settings that are pretty nice
Name:  yo1_zps576f9732.png
Views: 1044
Size:  118.1 KB

Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 PM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
Thanks for the review, I got mine for $300 from Kutter HD. Dropping the bike off Saturday morning to get my dresser duals & stage 1 aircleaner installed & then after getting the bike back I'm going to play with the fp3. Can't wait to get everything done Saturday!
prices are all over the place. I think around 300-325 is about right (ebay has them for that) maybe call V&H and see which map they recommend for ya just in case its not in the app they could send it to ya. enjoy, paul

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hanny
go into your own map and toward the bottom you will see this

then go into idle and you will see this, mess with it and you will figure it out. Here are my settings that are pretty nice

Gotcha, so everything above 176 gets 944? How did you come up with 944 or is it a preselect?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:20 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hanny
prices are all over the place. I think around 300-325 is about right (ebay has them for that) maybe call V&H and see which map they recommend for ya just in case its not in the app they could send it to ya. enjoy, paul
Already emailed them about the map and they responded in a timely manner. I've got cfr knockoff's & they don't have a map in the app for that, so he said to use the one for the dresser duals & their hi-output slipon's. Also, which side cover is the canbus under? I'm almost sure it's the left side, correct?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

left side and the bottom grey connector. You can't get it wrong. The plug only works on the correct one.

I do have a question, when doing autotune, it asks for a base map to autotune off, then asks for another base map to autotune off. I selected the preselected map I was running with these pipes and then for the 2nd map I used the "lower idle map". I'm guessing that's the correct method?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:56 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a nice presentation...very informative..

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines FP3 Bluetooth tuner review