Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System Smart Siren II - Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Security System Smart Siren II - Battery Replacement

Hi all.

Anyone check and or replace their Security System Smart Siren (Backup) Battery?

When I pulled my 40amp fuse, my alarm was activated and the siren ran for maybe 10 seconds (the last five chirps were sounded like the system was dying).

I found the HD replacement (see attached photo) at a discount HD... as I know damn well Chester's HD in Reno will tack on at least 25% ADP.

Anyways... I don't think the Security System Smart Siren II rechargeable battery has ever been replaced. So, I cracked it open and found the following rechargeable battery (http://store.gpbatteries.com/us/inde...uec1-8864.html). On a side note, I selected the battery and put in my zip code... that 10.28 battery came to 35.28 with shipping. F that.

I put the bastard in my charger. Yellow light came on and it started charging then the red light came on 15 seconds later. The battery is just dead.

Its a GP Industrial Rechargeable NIMH 9V PN 20R8H. The mfg states "Can be charged up to 1,000 times" whereas Energizer has one Rechargeable NIMH 9V batteries for $15.47 at walmart which says it can be charged 1000 times.

I did end up buying the batter for 9 bones shipped (no tax) at DealsMachine.com (http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_146053.html).

I called my buddy and he did the same thing and said his siren ran for 25 seconds.

Maybe it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the security system is using juice directly from the battery (at all times) but I'd rather have any system functioning as intended in the event the main battery gives way.

Attached Thumbnails Security System Smart Siren II - Battery Replacement-screenshot-31-.jpg   Security System Smart Siren II - Battery Replacement-gp-industrial-20r8h.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Did you notice that the nominal voltage for the battery you purchased is 8.4 volts? Where as the GP is 9.0 volts?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Good question in regards to the GP Batteries website... that same part number comes up at 9v.

The one I got from Deals Machine came in and I was going to charge it. (didn't think it would ship charged)... Anyways, being that I was in the garage and didn't feel like going up the stairs and dealing with the kiddos... I did test and it registered 8.4v

Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Charge it be 4 you use it is always a must.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
Charge it be 4 you use it is always a must.
It is a self charging system but after reading your post... just to make myself feel better... I took it out and am charging the new 9v on my kiddos battery charger.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:08 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One sign that a new battery is needed is the siren will chirp 3 times instead of 2 times when the ignition is turned off. I got my replacement battery at batteries+ for a nominal fee. Much less than HD.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:35 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Great post. I change the fob batteries regularly but never thought about the siren battery. I'll put that on my list for things to do this winter along with other maintenance items like changing the fork oil and brake fluid.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,189 Likes on 2,456 Posts

before you go pulling the battery out of your siren, deacitivate your security system. to do this, first turn your ignition on (with fob in hand) and when your security disarms, then pull your maxi fuse. you can now shut everything back off, and your siren will not scream at you when you disconnect it.... after completing the work, put your maxi fuse back in.

this procedure works if you have to change your vehicle battery as well, as the siren will scream as soon as you disconnect the cable from your battery.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:27 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Alkaline batteries are A, AA, AAA, C, &. D are 1.5 v and if you replace it with a rechargeable the rechargeable will be 1.2 v. Same with 9v with alk is 9v and rechargeable will be 8.4 v. They are alway less for rechargeable so I don't think they made a special battery just for this application. Rechargeable's are also shorter so that if a electronics needs a specific battery voltage to work it will not make contact as the battery is a fraction shorter and they don't use springs at the neg side. If it fit it should work with no problem.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Harley lists the replacement battery for the Sirens for about $16, it's just a 9V nominal Nimh battery, any such batttery should work fine as a replacement. The Harley supplied battery is supposed to have a life of between 3 and 6 years. No need to charge it before use unless you want to, riding the bike several hours should charge it.

Quick Reply: Security System Smart Siren II - Battery Replacement