Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Cam tensioners issue....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Cam tensioners issue....

I have read on this forum in the past about issues with chain cam tensioners on earlier 2000Road Kings. I looked into that issue, due to the fact I recently purchased a 2002 Road King,and discussed that issue with the service manager at my Harley dealer. He assured me that I shouldn'tbe concernedabout it. The problem was discovered and solved. He stated that the problem arrose in early 2000 Road Kings andthat it is a non-issue after 2000.He told me the problem was due to the supplier of the chains that Harley was using, thier chains were defective. The chains had a sharp edgeon one side of them and that was causing the problems. Harley got another chain supplier and the problemis longer an issue. The service managersaid he has only seen two problems concerningcam tensionersin the past 7 years, even on bikes with over 50,000miles. Don't know if he is just giving me BS, but I thought I would pass it along.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Road King Cam tensioners issue....

He's giving BS.
It's not chronic, but it is a wear item.
Problem is that everyone is getting different life. It's not just Road King, its all twin cams.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search and check out the numerous posts on this issue. It is a problem for any TC88 motor.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

He assured me that I shouldn'tbe concernedabout it. The problem was discovered and solved.
That's pure BS and nothing more. The 07 bikes have a new cam tensioner setup that runs different shoes and is operated by engine oil pressure instead of spring tension and may prove to be a better setup but as far as the other years in early 2000, it's something that should be checked every 25K miles to keep an eye on things. If they go too far as far as wear, they canbe the demise of your engine when the pieces that come off go through the oil pump and the rest of the engine. They have come out with a newer version of the tensioner that has a different shape than the older ones but it's a crap shoot either way but that is not the "cure" for this problem.

Find yourself another dealer.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Ditto what was said about the tensioners being a wear item on pre-'07 bikes. Your SM either lied or he is new and ignorant. Mine were shot after 40K, others fail much earlier or later; some never fail. My service manager, and others here on the forum, have said that the tensioners should be checked after 25K.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I echo everything that's already been said. I have a 2001 Road King and experienced significant engine damage when my cam chain tensioners went bad at 27K. What really irked me was that no mention of the issue was made by the dealer when I had my 25,000 mile service performed. Needless to say, I got no relief from the dealer or H-D on the expense I had to incur.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
RanD
Tourer

Take a look in the Engine section of the Tech forums and you'll read a lot of good information regarding the problem. Sounds like the problem has shown up as early as 10K miles, but usually its happens on bikes between 25K and 40K miles.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Did a cam chain swap to Andrew's 26g's last month on my 2000 Ultra. My tensioners were worn about half way through with 30K miles on her.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:21 PM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser

I recently purchased a pre-owned '04 Road King Classic with 20k miles, during my discussions with the independent shop owner where I was buying the bike, I brought up the chain tensioners he recommended changing out the OEM chain-driven cams with the S&S 510g geared cam set. I agreed if for no other reason it is one less maintenance headache to deal with. The change out costs about $1200.00, labor included, to have somebody do it for you. Of course the price comes down if you can do it yourself.

ScooterJammer

Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM
brzemo
Cruiser

Does anyone know if the problem continues on the Screaming Eagle engine conversions? I have a 2001 Road King Classic that I purchased last year. This bike had the engine upgrade to SE. I don't know if this would have been something normally changed outduring the upgrade. I have a about 2K on the new engine and 12k overall. Thanks
Z

Quick Reply: Road King Cam tensioners issue....