Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFM or Rekluse Auto Clutch or ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had a Rekluse on my dirt bikes and did the install my self. very easy to do, as posted earlier, all you are really doing is replacing the clutch disks (metal and fiber) and the top assembly and springs.

The way it works is centrifugal force pushed ball bearings out to the edge of the top plate which engages the drive.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Interesting subject! For future reference a couple of links: Rekluse Auto Clutch and EFM Auto Clutch. Of interest to older bike owners is that the EFM is available for '90 on bikes, while the Rekluse is only available for '07 on.
oddly rekluse offers 98-06 and 07-14 in both cable and hydraulic versions.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of those who have installed a Rekluse were they on HDs or dirt bikes? I didn't install mine, I had it done but my impression was that it wasn't all that easy especially when it came time to try and adjust it to work correctly. And of course its entirely possible that the dealership that did mine being their first one simply had a large learning curve or some such.
The concept behind it is very good and is something you can really make good use of if you're having arm problems.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

I have installed and used them on multiple dirt bikes; the first couple generations of the product were a bit tricky to fine tune, but nothing too complicated. The later versions are a much more refined clutch and easier to install/tune.

If I were in the market for an auto clutch I would not hesitate to buy another Rekluse.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CalgaryBikeBum
Efm auto clutch works well. I bought one to put on my wife's trike. She eventually decided that using the clutch the original way was better once she got the hang of it. So I have an EFM complete with new clutch basket and extra plate clutch for sale. She used it for maybe 1000 miles. Its for a 2012 Tri Glide so not sure what bikes its will fit but will give you a great deal as once the basket has been modified you cannot go back to stock setup. (That is why I bought a complete basket with clutch) PM me if you are interested. Thanks
I think the tri-glide clutch changed in 2014 and before that they were the same as the regular touring bikes, but I'm not sure. I think you would have an easier time selling it, if you contacted the manufacturer so you could state with conviction, this fits bike ABC for years XYZ.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:15 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I compared it part by part to the 2012 ultra classic clutch using Ronnies Harley Davidson website. They are identical except for clutch spring. I believe that is because the Tri Glide is heavier so had a heavier spring? Based on part number extension it appears they used this first in 2011. At the time i bought it the fellow at Efm selected the appropriate clutch for the trike. Hope that helps.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Gambler1
Cruiser

Lots of good info on these 2 auto clutches but is anybody using them on high horsepower/torque harleys, and are these like the clutches they use on snowmobiles?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 PM
4myvrod
6th Gear

I am running an EFM Auto Clutch and a Quickshifter on a 02 Vrod. Bike is ridiculously fast!! BTW bike is for sale, if anyone is interested.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 AM
hwnwhaler
6th Gear
Default high tq clutch

I am going to bring this thread back to life because I really need to know if a Rekluse will handle a larger motor. This is going behind an S&S 124LC so the torque hit may be even stronger and sooner than the regular 124. My stock clutch slips easily at will, and with the rev limiter set at 3500 during break in.
I like the idea of an auto clutch for traffic but ultimately need to hold the power.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:27 PM
outboundexplorer
Stage III

CalgaryBikeBum, do you still have that EFM clutch set-up for sale? Please PM me as I am unable to PM you!

Quick Reply: EFM or Rekluse Auto Clutch or ???