Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFM or Rekluse Auto Clutch or ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 PM
outboundexplorer
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent a lot of time at the Rekluse booth during Sturgis this year. I almost had them install one because of their $50 installation offer but then I decided that EFM may be the better option. The Rekluse clutch has a lot of wear parts and the rep told me that they recommend checking the adjustment every ride! That being said, many riders have tons of miles without adjustment. The EFM guys say that adjustments are not necessary once their unit has been installed which really appeals to me - I have enough to check and adjust on my bike as it is!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM
db2
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

outbound: all you do to check the Rekluse clutch is rev the engine while in neutral for 1-2 seconds. If the clutch lever moves in slightly you're good to go. They go for years not needing adjustment (which takes 15 minutes through the derby-cover & is super-easy).

Old 03-09-2018, 01:47 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

My limp wrist loves my Rekluse. The Rekluse has 11 disks instead of the stock 9 discs and is supposed to handle more torque. Call them and ask for examples. My HD dealer is an authorized Rekluse dealer and has installed a lot of them. I ordered mine the day I rode my new bike home and no adjustments needed after initial setup. No issues with a bit over 7k miles so far.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:53 PM
db2
Novice

Thanks Daverino; I also like my Rekluse and would do it again but have two issues. First, my wife & I do a lot of cruising in sixth gear (2015 Street Glide) at 45-50 mph on cruise control with RPM between 17-1800. The Rekluse does not lock up under 2000 so any throttle increase, even a slight headwind, requires a downshift to avoid clutch slip. I've adjusted the clutch repeatedly to no avail but to be fair my bike is mildly modified (stage II; cam/headers/pipes/air cleaner/programmer) and makes more power than stock (100 horsepower,115 lbft of torque). The other issue is the gear indicator no longer works after Rekluse installation. Mine is now blank; others have reported that theirs reads incorrectly. Rekluse has told me both issues are normal & recommended either changing my riding style or installing a stiffer clutch spring. I think these issues should be stated by them in their ads since many of us have mildly modified bikes; like to chug around; and like their gear indicator. Regardless, next week I am installing a CVO Screaming Eagle clutch spring (part #37951-98) to hopefully remedy the slip issue. There is no cure for the MIA gear indicator.

Last edited by db2; 03-09-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 03-09-2018, 03:03 PM
db2
Novice

BTW Daverino; I was also in DaNang in '71-72 (VA86 plane captain). What an experience. Hated it back then but now looking back; some of the best years of my life. Welcome home.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by db2
BTW Daverino; I was also in DaNang in '71-72 (VA86 plane captain). What an experience. Hated it back then but now looking back; some of the best years of my life. Welcome home.
Welcome home to you, also. I pretty much hated everything about the Army, but they say what doesn't kill ya is good for ya!

Originally Posted by db2
Thanks Daverino; I also like my Rekluse and would do it again but have two issues. First, my wife & I do a lot of cruising in sixth gear (2015 Street Glide) at 45-50 mph on cruise control with RPM between 17-1800. The Rekluse does not lock up under 2000 so any throttle increase, even a slight headwind, requires a downshift to avoid clutch slip. I've adjusted the clutch repeatedly to no avail but to be fair my bike is mildly modified (stage II; cam/headers/pipes/air cleaner/programmer) and makes more power than stock (100 horsepower,115 lbft of torque). The other issue is the gear indicator no longer works after Rekluse installation. Mine is now blank; others have reported that theirs reads incorrectly. Rekluse has told me both issues are normal & recommended either changing my riding style or installing a stiffer clutch spring. I think these issues should be stated by them in their ads since many of us have mildly modified bikes; like to chug around; and like their gear indicator. Regardless, next week I am installing a CVO Screaming Eagle clutch spring (part #37951-98) to hopefully remedy the slip issue. There is no cure for the MIA gear indicator.
Hmm...my clutch starts to engage at 1050 rpms being fully locked by 1300-1400, and has never slipped. My gear indicator has always worked normally. I have never cruised my bike below 2000 rpms (maybe a little if downhill). Usually riding solo, I only use 6th above 60 and flat to downslope unless going much faster than 60. Some of your slipping may be caused from the cruise adding too much power with all that torque in a tall gear from a low rpm.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I had to readjust my Rekluse Auto Clutch no less than 14 times in 37 months of ownership on my 2015 Road Glide CVO. It finally needed to be replaced 2 months ago at 53,240 miles on the Rekluse.

I’m back to running my OEM clutch which had only 10K miles on it before going with the Rekluse up in Daytona during bike week in 2015.
I’ve called Rekluse early on about the many adjustments I went through and was told to keep the RPMs above 2,400 RPMs. This didn’t help much. The hydraulic clutch adjustments weren’t hard to do, I just got very proficient doing them even in parking lots.

The Rekluse was great when it didn’t need adjustments which became a pain in the backside doing them so often.
I’m approaching 70K miles on my Road Glide, if I continue to own it I’d like to install the EFM Auto Clutch next since they claim no adjustments will ever be required.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by db2
my wife & I do a lot of cruising in sixth gear (2015 Street Glide) at 45-50 mph on cruise control with RPM between 17-1800.
You're about three gears too high and 1200 RPM too low.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ug-your-engine

The following users liked this post:
Puglia10 (01-09-2019)