Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Exhaust Actuator Wiring at 2012 FLHP

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Tolot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Active Exhaust Actuator Wiring at 2012 FLHP

Hi,
I have bought a 2012 FLHP and imported to Germany. Now I have to adapt the bike to the European/Germany rules. One of this modifications is adding the active exhaust system. I have bought the parts but now I need some help with mounting and wiring the exhaust actuator:

In the scheme of the 5. main harness - see attached pic - the exhaust actuator, which controls/moves the "valve" in the exhaust-system of the right muffler, is connected to the ECM with two wires, VO to pin 21 (exhaust actuator) and V/BE to pin 38 (exhaust feedback) and with LGN/R to +12V and BK to GND. I would like to know whether this wiring does also exist in the domestic/US-models and where I can find this cables. Otherwise I have to add the wires to the main-connector of the ECM and I really do not have an idea how to do this.

I also need advice how to mount the actuator. Itīs place seems to be below the battery, as the attached pic shows, but I do not know how to to this.

Attached Thumbnails Active Exhaust Actuator Wiring at 2012 FLHP-2012-exhaust-wire.jpg   Active Exhaust Actuator Wiring at 2012 FLHP-actuator.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I "think" the wiring is in place- Looking at diagram B-18 it is shown as being there ( as in your pic) - so with luck the connector is just hanging- in the same way the canister purge wiring is just hanging on the 49 State models.
***Looking at the 2012 diagnostic manual it seems the connector may be behind the right side cover.
can't yet see the acuator mounting, I'll post back if I see it

But I think the smart thing to do is check with an indy shop as they probably have done a few conversions to remove these and may have a box of parts.

put 'em on, get certified then remove ( or not)

possible the ecm also needs to be enabled for this function- check on that.

good news is that the position light wiring should be zip tied to the headlamp harness- you'll need a Euro headlamp w/ position light

the electrical diagnostic manual may be of help for you as it gives the checks for various malfunctions in the wiring and shows the valve/ cable mounted on the exhaust...but not the servo that i could see.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-26-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Tolot
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I "think" the wiring is in place- Looking at diagram B-18 it is shown as being there ( as in your pic) - so with luck the connector is just hanging-
Yes. I have found it. Plugged into a "blind" plastic-connector at the frame.

in the same way the canister purge wiring is just hanging on the 49 State models.
Whatīs a "canister purge wiring"?

can't yet see the acuator mounting, I'll post back if I see it
I found the place where the actuator takes place (behind the right cover, in the "bottom triangle") but I still donīt know how to mount.

But I think the smart thing to do is check with an indy shop as they probably have done a few conversions to remove these and may have a box of parts.
Sorry, I donīt understand.

put 'em on, get certified then remove ( or not)
To difficult to explain in English, but I decide to keep it (with manual activating via a switch)

possible the ecm also needs to be enabled for this function- check on that.
I assume the programmung of the ECM must be modified. Otherwise, if the US-programming would also control the aktuator - due to the missing feedback (the cables and so the feedback is not connected to anything) - the system would report an error (not working actuator) all the time.

good news is that the position light wiring should be zip tied to the headlamp harness- you'll need a Euro headlamp w/ position light
Yes, I have seen it in the headlamp nacelle: black and o/w cable of the thick cable-bundle leading to the headlamp-connector (38) are separated and ending in small connectors, fitting to the usual position light-connectors; position 29B in the circuit.

the electrical diagnostic manual may be of help for you as it gives the checks for various malfunctions in the wiring and shows the valve/ cable mounted on the exhaust...but not the servo that i could see.
Where can I find this manual?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

What is an "Active Exhaust"?
Is it like the bi-modal exhaust on the new Vette?
If so why would it be a requirement?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

active exhaust is found on some overseas market bikes. basically, its an updated, electrical version of the old exhaust that hd had way back when that had a cable that you pulled to close a flap in the exhaust to quiet it down when you were in town, and then you pulled it again to open it up when you wanted/needed for it to have more flow.

thank *whomever* that we don't have that requirement here in the states. yet.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Tolot
6th Gear

The active exhaust is a flap in the exhaust in the way to the right muffler.
Due to the EU-regulations the loudness is limited. There is a regulation about the procedure of measuring the loudness. HD - and other - used the trick, "closing" the exhaust only in the condition when the measuring is valid (e.g. driving constantly 50 km/h in the 3.gear, than opening the trottle for 50m - it is to complicated for me explaining this in English). The left-EU-muffler is nearly "closed", the right EU-muffler is more "open" - more "closed" than the US-muffler, but not as the left muffler. When the ECM detects the conditions when measuring of the loudness is valid / legal possible it closes the flap with an actuator which is mounted behind the right cover, just below the ABS-module and a mechanical wire which leads to the flap. So the "open" right muffler is absolutely closed and only the left, nearly "closed" muffler works. So in this condition, which ist there when a measuring is legal, the exhaust is quite.
Of course the complete regulation is stupid and the crest/crown of stupidity is, that the authorities accept this trick, making the exhaust quiet only when the measuring takes place. Some say that this will not be accepted future any more. Wait & see ...

Old 12-29-2014, 01:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

when i refer to an "Indy Shop" I mean an independent service center

( and your English is excellent!- I did not know you were not a native English-speaker until you posted that).

I know that Hamburg has the Harley drugstore- and there must be other independent shops which do "grey" conversions such as exhaust.

( as I understand the exhaust is open at speeds below 1600 rpms, and the valve closes at above 1800 rpms)

"canister purge wiring"- California models have a canister to absorb fuel vapour. this is rebreathed into the throttle body when the motor is next started.
The wiring for this is just loose under the seat on the 49 State versions which do not have mandated fuel vapour controls

the electrical diagnostic manual is available at a dealer...or a child may find online

I suggest you change your profile to add your city- there are Forum Members in Germany and someone may be close or know of local resources

I saw on another thread that a member is getting some help from bigjoechoppers in Australia with an active exhaust system- maybe they can help.

AU uses an active exhaust system

Best, mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-29-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:06 PM
Ricardo Santos Dias
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolot
Yes. I have found it. Plugged into a "blind" plastic-connector at the frame.

Whatīs a "canister purge wiring"?

I found the place where the actuator takes place (behind the right cover, in the "bottom triangle") but I still donīt know how to mount.

Sorry, I donīt understand.

To difficult to explain in English, but I decide to keep it (with manual activating via a switch)

I assume the programmung of the ECM must be modified. Otherwise, if the US-programming would also control the aktuator - due to the missing feedback (the cables and so the feedback is not connected to anything) - the system would report an error (not working actuator) all the time.

Yes, I have seen it in the headlamp nacelle: black and o/w cable of the thick cable-bundle leading to the headlamp-connector (38) are separated and ending in small connectors, fitting to the usual position light-connectors; position 29B in the circuit.

Where can I find this manual?
Did you managed to work with a manual switch?
sorry for bring this back.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:26 AM
Tolot
6th Gear

Ahh, sorry, after solving the problem I forgot this discussion due to a lot of other things to care about an do.
Honestly said: I do not remember details about this time and the things I did to get tge FLHP drive legally on EU-streets. But I know the technical situation now and this is what I did and last: I made the regular electrical connection of the exhaust-flap/actuator. I required an ECM-firmware -version which I was able to modify so that the actuator only works and closes the flap when standing still and and at and near idle mode. The working of the actuator was not checked by obtaining the licsense. I did this because I realized that the FLHP is so silent (in comparison with other HD) that there is no risk, that while a normal control the police would do the formal-required loudness-check. This can not be done "on the fly", at the street, and when the audible impression or a simple loudness-check with a simple db-meter does not result an evident unlegal loudness nothing will happen. So I can stand in idle-state beneath the police w/o a preface to loud exhaust and even when driving away slowly the exhaust keeps silent enough.