Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Super Glide Custom to Road King (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1029164-super-glide-custom-to-road-king.html)

Jaystn62 02-25-2015 11:24 PM

Super Glide Custom to Road King

Looking to trade in my Super on a 2014 or 2015 Road King. Ole Lady is about as tall as me and both in our 50's. Any problems anyone knows of with this model? I'm 6'0" about 200 lbs and she's 5'9" about 175. Thanks in advance for any input.

mkguitar 02-25-2015 11:30 PM

my only comment is that all the touring models are the same- the only differences is the amount & shape of plastic hanging on them and the number of speakers.

You guys are buying a bike where 500 mile days are common and easy on the body. You may want a tourpak and radio.

kick some tires and do some test riding.

If I were in the market for a new model i would think about the wethead motor...more power right off the floor.

Mike

Mac10 02-26-2015 12:24 AM

I'm 6'0 215 and went from a sportster to a 2014 road king. It's been great. Smooth ride and handles nice.

hdgzr 02-26-2015 01:58 AM

6'1" and 250; went from Heritage to RK. Love it. Has a great perch for your lady. Get a sissy bar for her, and a hand pump for the shocks...

IMKMA 02-26-2015 07:22 AM

Went from a 2011 FXDC to a 14 road King ,love it ,no regrets just wish I had done it sooner. Road King handles easier and rides better. My wife appreciates the comfort difference too. I was surprised how quickly I got used to it and don't really notice the extra weight at all. Good luck you're gonna love it!

RKZen 02-26-2015 08:09 AM

You won't regret the Road King. All the touring bikes are made to haul 2-up with ease. Many here experiment with different seats for comfort, but for your better half, I suggest getting a tour pak. She'll love you for it on the longer trips.

I did a NC to CA trip recently with a couple buddies and, although I rode solo, the bike ran flawlessly.

TKDKurt 02-26-2015 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mkguitar (Post 13747167)
my only comment is that all the touring models are the same- the only differences is the amount & shape of plastic hanging on them and the number of speakers.

Not exactly true. The street glide has an inch less shock travel in the rear and, by most accounts this affects the ride. You are right that most of the remaining differences are the amount of plastic hanging on them. But the weight of the fairings and other doodads and the distribution of that weight affects the ride and handling.

Of course, in my completely unbiased opinion, the Road King is the way to go. :icon_mrgreen:

northeastconfederate 02-26-2015 08:26 AM

I love my Road King. Windshield comes off in 10 seconds, passenger seat comes off in about 30 seconds. It can be replaced with a luggage rack about as fast. It's like having 2 bikes. I rode mine from NJ to Las Vegas with no issues (solo). Hell, you can even get detachable tour pack and fairing if you want to. Then it'd be like having 3 bikes.....

Jaystn62 02-26-2015 09:31 AM

All good points and confirms the research I've done in the last few months. Was thinking about getting a newer used bike but it seems once someone buys a Road King few ever sell them or trade them in unless they are older high mileage units. That tells me a lot. Thanks for the replies.

mikelikesbikes 02-26-2015 10:41 AM

You can't go wrong and your other half will surely appreciate it. Have dumped more money into mine (01) than I care to remember. Very versatile, probably the most versatile bike Harley makes. My wife won't even ride without the Memphis Shades fairing or at least shield.