Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loading your bagger in a toy hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM
sloans4x4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loading your bagger in a toy hauler?

I know, Probably a stupid question because EVERYONE here rides their bike everywhere they go!!!!!!!

Anyway, for those of you who have a toy hauler. My questions are what kind of toy hauler? How tall is it (from the ground)? how big is garage? etc

Reason I ask these questions: My buddy bought a 43' XLR with a 12' garage. Sweet Sweet camper!!!! He wanted me to install 2 B&W biker bars in the toy hauler for his 14 SGS and his 10 Ultra. Both sweet baggers, with apes etc. Now the garage is 8' 1" wide, bikes are basically 38' wide lever to lever. So in the trailer they have about 4" on ea side. Heres the kicker, The back of the trailer is about 40" off the ground making it a pretty damn steep ramp going into the garage part. And coming out!!! with only 4" between your handle bar and side of trailer, with about that much between bars and other bike if one is already in there.

Lets see your bikes loaded in your toy hauler!!

I have been riding for 15yrs, I know not the best rider around, but have some experience. And walking the ramp up and down to mount the biker bars, Looking at the setup, I would be nervous to be pulling my 15 SGS in and more nervous backing it out.

Shane

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a haulmark low hauler. 14x7 I get my street glide and my wifes Triglide trike in. I have to take off my right saddlebag and they are staggered but hauled them this winter to Nevada/California for our two week winter ride and they never moved an inch.
I am also using the biker bars. Technically I don't need one for the trike but worked so well for the street glide i bought a second one for Trike. They work amazingly well. This way I have a spare if a buddy wants to go on a winter trip with me too.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Thompson5
Cruiser

I have a 34' toy hauler and use the biker bar. But I only load one bike. The biker bar is great except for the fact that it drags alittle on the top of the ramp. This year I'm considering installing it with the bike in the trailer.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2007 Weekend warrior that I load my ultra classic in without many issues. The one issue is the ramp door being slippery. I've learned there are two ways to combat this issue. 1 put down grip tape on the ramp. 2 put the bike in gear as you pull it out and let out the clutch if it starts to get away from you. Simply using the front brake backing out is not a great option unless you want black streaks down your ramp door.

My buddy has a fifth wheel hauler, and same issue as with your friends, they sit very high. Unless your friends bikes are lowered, you shouldn't have a problem with clearance, assuming his trailer has a beaver tail at the back that reduce the angle? When ever we unload his bikes, we try to get to an area where the decline on the ramp is not as great, ie... curb, slight incline in ground, etc....

It can be done and it can be done safe as long as you plan it out and take your time. Sorry I don't have any pics, but hopefully he'll enjoy his new trailer.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 AM
maryvillept
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a 38' toy hauler similar to his. They fit side by side. Yes it is tight but when strapped down right they don't budge. Always load and unload before leveling camper to decrease the steepness of the ramp. The lower the front end of the camper, the steeper the ramp. And be very careful if there is dew on the ground when loading. It gets slick as snot, i don't care what covering is on the ramp.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:38 AM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a keystone raptor 35 footer .8 ft wide 10 ft long garage. I use my condor chocks along with tiedowns. I set one of the chocks about 6 inches further back so our bars don't hit. My door has that black rough stuff on it to help with keeping it from being slippery . I don't drag riding the bike in or out of the trailer. The only tricky spot is where the ramp hits the ground . The back wheel being on the ground and the front wheel being still on the causes about a 2 ft section where your feet can't touch the ground. I've just learned to roll through it . If you were to try and stop I'm sure you would lay it over.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:40 PM
jrdfatboy
Tourer

I don't have a toy hauler but would it be possible to chock the trailer wheels leave it unhooked from the tow vehicle and jack the front of the trailer up to lower the rear end to reduce the steep angle? Totally a shot in the dark

Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jrdfatboy
I don't have a toy hauler but would it be possible to chock the trailer wheels leave it unhooked from the tow vehicle and jack the front of the trailer up to lower the rear end to reduce the steep angle? Totally a shot in the dark
I used to do just that with my old trailer. Worked pretty well. My Haulmark isn't a Toy Hauler exactly but I am planning on getting one in a few years. Love the concept.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:20 PM
sloans4x4
Cruiser

Yes it has the back 2' dove tail to help with the angle. And While I haven't rode up in it, it just looks way steep. My other good friend has an 08 Weekend Warrior, And we just finished a rebuild on his 05 Ultra, And he plans to haul it with the family on a few trips. We didn't measure his WW after we got back from installing the bars in our others friends XLR. But we are both sure the XLR is quite a bit taller at the rear door. Both are 43' 5th wheels.

Shane

Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 30' Work and Play (30MBS). It has a 10' garage with a 4,800 lb rated ramp and cargo area. Rear floor is about 21" above the ground. I use a Harbor Freight chock on a custom bracket that allows the chock to be moved aside when not in use. I only have room for 1 bike, but that is because I have a permanently mounted roller tool box and dual tap keg fridge to go with the bike. Garage floor and ramp have a very rough oil resistant textured finish, lots of grip. It is easier to roll the bike in and out of this trailer than any other that I have ever used.

Quick Reply: loading your bagger in a toy hauler?