Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   What size trailer for 4 to 5 touring Harley's? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1036670-what-size-trailer-for-4-to-5-touring-harleys.html)

claytucc3 03-30-2015 01:04 PM

What size trailer for 4 to 5 touring Harley's?

We are looking to buy/rent a trailer to take 4 to 5 full size touring bikes from Los Angeles to Sturgis. We don't have time to ride there this year and going a 24 hour straight drive. What size enclosed trailer do you recommend?

bigskyroadglide 03-30-2015 01:18 PM

7 x 20 would be my suggestion
I can get three touring bike in my 7 x 14 but it tight and they are staggered

If One strap breaks, all three are damaged

You may be able to use a smaller trailer on the length side of the equation but width is 7 minimum in my opinion

RevBlk 03-30-2015 01:41 PM

I've trailered from the great white north to LA, LV and Phoenix. Minimum for us with 4 baggers is an 8 by 20. Leaves room for luggage gear etc. 5 baggers will fit in a pinch but it's tight.

lp 03-30-2015 01:45 PM

I don't know how many times you'll use this huge trailer after Sturgis and gas alone for the truck and trailer would be incredible so maybe shipping the bikes would be more cost effective? Usually 600 or so a bike.

Just an option.

To answer the question 8x20. I had a 7x16 and could just squeeze 4 in there.

baldguy13 03-30-2015 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by lp (Post 13864633)
I don't know how many times you'll use this huge trailer after Sturgis and gas alone for the truck and trailer would be incredible so maybe shipping the bikes would be more cost effective? Usually 600 or so a bike.

Just an option.

To answer the question 8x20. I had a 7x16 and could just squeeze 4 in there.

Any recommendations on shippers? Haven't decided if I have enough time to ride or if I am going to have to fly. With some other reviews I've read of shippers, it seems they want to take 3-4 weeks to get it there and I do not want to be without a bike for a month of my precious Michigan summer.

dgreen1069 03-30-2015 02:34 PM

I agree with the others. I've towed 4 touring bikes extensively and you don't want anything smaller than 20x8. I owned an 18x7 trailer myself and 4 bikes would have been VERY tight.

lp 03-30-2015 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by baldguy13 (Post 13864662)
Any recommendations on shippers? Haven't decided if I have enough time to ride or if I am going to have to fly. With some other reviews I've read of shippers, it seems they want to take 3-4 weeks to get it there and I do not want to be without a bike for a month of my precious Michigan summer.

No, I don't at the moment, but check with your dealer and with Rapid City Harley. I bet they know of a bunch worth recommending.

Wild Card 03-30-2015 03:07 PM

you can find used in good shape 8x20 traaailers at least here for 3500 to 4k. 600 per to ship... this is a no brainer. sell the trailer when you get back... you can't get your money back from a shipper

claytucc3 03-31-2015 04:16 PM

Thanks everyone! We were thinking a 20' trailer was the way to go.

2AMGuy 03-31-2015 05:08 PM

JMO--

A friend has a 7'x14' enclosed trailer and honestly it's a b***h loading two, late model Ultra into it, and it takes two people to accomplish this.
We found that the first bike loaded must have the rear end "scooted over" to make room for the second bike.

For an enclosed trailer for 5 baggers, I'd recommend an 8'x24' or perhaps an enclosed car hauler and even then you may have spread two bikes far enough apart to insert the front-end of one to adjust for the length of the trailer. If you go with an 8'x20' you'll need some extra bodies to get them safely loaded and tied down.

Another option (if acceptable) would be a 20' open landscape, tandem axle trailer and load the bikes on an angle or crosswise on the trailer.
I have a trailer like this and getting 4 on it is a piece of cake but I've yet to attempt 5 but with tandem axles the weight wouldn't be a factor.