Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning a road trip.... How many miles per day ??

Old 04-11-2015, 02:44 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Planning a road trip.... How many miles per day ??

Haven't taken a road trip in 5 years due to back problems, wife hasn't been on one for almost 10 years. Now things are a little better. We are now 56/54 and put on a few pounds since our early 40's. Back then we did between 500 to 800 miles a day.

Now we have a 2012 Ultra with upgraded shocks/ forks and Corbin saddle. We are in pretty good shape. Plan on riding to Key West and NC from Daytona Beach. Most of the riding will be on highways, mostly 95. At our age, how many highway miles should I plan on riding each day without hurting at the end of the day ???

Be Safe JIM

Old 04-11-2015, 04:25 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I put riding into two classes. Journey riding and destination riding.
Are you riding because you want to get somewhere? Or is the ride itself what your doing? If your riding just to get somewhere, 600-800 miles is totally possible for a day or two, or three as long as your bike has a good seat and reasonably well maintained. If I'm riding as part of the experience/vacation, then I always keep it under 500 a day. Because any more than that and your just riding, and missing the ride.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I gave up on trying to set a mileage per day rate, ride to where you are comfortable then stop for the day as it gets uncomfortable. We made anywhere from 150-400 miles in a day dependent on stops for sights, eating, allowing the butt burn to ease off. Heat/wind/rain and or all the above will damper a day, good conditions we actually made 500 comfortable miles on a few occasions.

If you have to set reservations, allow time to get there, don't hesitate to ride slower or make a extra night stop early if making better time but is no need to push to pain.

Enjoy the rides, they come fewer as we age.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,719 Likes on 18,538 Posts

It is a generally acceptable estimate that you'll average about 55 mph for the day by the time you figure in food stops, fuel stops, rest stops etc. Given that figure what time you'd like to get in the saddle and what time you'd like to be off the road. Remember that your tired old a$$ isn't as "young and flexible" as it once was and "kidney drainage" may be a bit more frequent. One last thing ... of course you're the only one who'll know when it's time to call it a day ...unless she's smackin' you in the back of the head :>)

Old 04-11-2015, 04:32 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It's more about hours than miles.

One of the guys I ride with is in his 60's... 64 I think. Some days he hits 8 or 900.

I look to average 5 or 600, on the interstate... but can do more, it all depends on it it is days on end, or one day trip. One day, I can hit 1000... but I can't do that days in a row.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:35 PM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have always let the wife dictate how many miles,she is the one setting over the rear tire and can't stretch her legs.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,719 Likes on 18,538 Posts

Originally Posted by bundy43
I have always let the wife dictate how many miles,she is the one setting over the rear tire and can't stretch her legs.
Yep ... That really is the "determining factor" on the two up riding, for sure. On my scooter when "Red" is happy the world is right! :>)

Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Enjoy the ride and the time together. Miles per day should be way down on your list of priorities.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:57 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

If you have to be some were you ride until you get there, only stopping for gas, food, or
sleep if you need it. If you have no time frame, think in terms of hours you want to ride
8 to 10 hours will max you out. I try to start early in the mornings, by 3 PM look for lodging.
Not needing to be at a certain place with no time frame, you can stop to take pictures,
have a lunch stop too. Don't make the Wife just sit there from gas stop to gas stop, make
her your copilot. Have her plan the sight seeing, and rest stops, she will signal you if a
pee stop is needed. Enjoy your trip, and your Touring Bike with your Wife.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its hard to say how many miles -- I know guys 1/2 my age who can't do 150 with out be worn out -- it depends on the rider and what type of roads your going on. Do some practice runs on the weekend -- try 200 two days in a row -- the next weekend, do 300 two days in a row and see how you feel --

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning a road trip.... How many miles per day ??