Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed new se comp & copensaver !

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Just installed new se comp & copensaver !

Hi Guys,just thought i'd let ya know how the install of the SE comp kits along with compensaver oiling system mod went on my 09 FLHTCU.

NOTE:Would have gone with the new Baker comp but could not get my hands on it yet so had to go the new E comp kit & compensaver route so i could get on the road.

With 9,700 miles on my bike it was making the real loud bang/knock noise every time i started the bike along with it also have a chattering feeling every time was getting under way from a dead stop in 1st gear which i felt was the stock comp going bad.

Well when i got the stock original comp off the main spokes had no wear what so ever on them but what seemed to have happened was the spring assembly had separated from the main comp .

So i installed the new se comp & plastic tray in prim cover,then i installed the new compensaver oiling system mod to better oil the new SE compensator too both of which were not bad to do.

What took the most time and was a pia was removing enough material from the inner primary case to get old stock rotor off and then had to remove quite a lot more additional material from inner prim case to get the new rotor that goes with SE comp kit on the crank.

Then after that i had to remove some ribs etc inside outter prim case to make clearance for the compensaver tray .

But after that i was home free!/PHEW!!/LOL!!

Installed outer prim case ,filled with spectro prim case oil specifically mfg'd & formulated for HD's,then i fired it up. (The Spectro prim case for HD says its 85w on back label on container)

The big bang noise when motor was starting with old original comp is now gone and when taking off from a stop & then getting under way in 1st gear its smooth as glass now too so it was bad comp at 9,700miles that was causing those issues.

I hope the heavier duty design of the Se comp along with added oiling from the compensaver will will greatly extend the srv'c life of the new Se comp kit i installed,only time & miles will tell thew story on that.

Also,the older design 06A auto prim chain adj has absolutely no wear at all on the pad which surprised me so opetd to not install the newer gen 06B auto prim chain adj i bought and shelved it for now.

BTW,one lucky thing that happened was the prim chain had just enough slak in it after i removed the auto prim chain adj that i could slip the old comp off and new Se comp on all without having to remove the complete clutch assembly & basket like the fac srtvc manual said had to be done which saved me some time & effort for sure.

Lastly ,even though bike ony had 10k miles on it even though clutch wasnt slipping yet since a new clutch spring was fairly cheap & easy to install with outer prim case off i decided to replace it as a preventative maint thing while i had outer prim case off the motor.

I hope that with the heavier duty SE comp along with compensaver oil system,new clutch spring and seeing that the original auto prim chain had virtually no wear on it that now i should have pretty stout / reliable prim setup that should hopefully go quite a few miles/yrs without having to remove the outter prim case again,only time & miles will tell for sure.

Also, the compensaver instructions state to remove outer prim case approx 35-4k0miles post installing it to clean out the oil tray and magnet in the tray using something like brakleen & compressed air to clean it .

They rec that to ensure it doesnt get plugged up reducing or completely stopping the additional oil from getting to the compensator where its needed.

So thats my experience with installing a new Se comp kit & compensaver on my 09 FLHTCU with approx 10k miles on it.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 04-14-2015 at 12:30 AM.