Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20K Maintenance turns into 2K job

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:23 AM
RADMOND
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20K Maintenance turns into 2K job

I have a 2005 RK Custom that I purchased in Nov 2011 with 3500 miles and I usually to my own 5K Oil changes but at the 20K mark I decided to take it to the dealership and get it looked over by someone that knows what they were doing. I am OK with basic but I’m no mechanic.

Turns out I had some serious issues going on.

Original work I wanted: Around $700

20K service: $311.92, not too bad for what they are doing.
New hand grips $90 – Installed for $20, an easy job but for $20 let them do the work
Dealer found I was missing Anti-Rattle Clutch Clip - $3 for the clip installed for free.
Front Tire - $175 installed for free since I was doing the service.
Brake Flush – Bikes 10 years old and I bet it has never been done - $83

Now I get the call. Jack from the HD dealership. We have some issues, he starts going over what they found and I will admit at first I was thinking what we all start thinking, really? Are they trying to take me? But as we start talking he goes over everything then he says, look I know this is a lot of money, you need to talk with your wife and I want you guys to come done so I can show you everything before you make any decisions.

So, I call my wife and asked if she could get off work early and after I told her what was going on she said you bet.

This what he shows us:
Rear Brakes and Break Rotor. I just had the rear tire and breaks replaced about a year ago (at a different place) and the brakes were worn down almost to the metal and the rotor is pitted and warped. $275

Primary Leak. He also showed us where the leaks were coming from. $438

Rocker Box Leak. Again, he took the time and showed us where the leeks were. $250

Throttle/Idle Cables. They pulled them to lube them and man, were they fraying. $221.

Jack really took the time to explain to both of us everything and he talked to us like humans. He didn’t try to double talk us and let us ask all the questions we needed to. I had about half of the total and asked if they did any financing. He said, not in the since of what we are used to but if we needed we could make payments and leave the bike there until we could pay off the balance. No charge for storage. He said we are working guys just like you guys and understand this isn’t a small sum.

New total is around 2K ,but what are you going to do? My wife said it was worth it because she knows I love to ride and she was more concerned about safety and the longevity of the bike.

Now, I know most of you guys would say you could do all that work yourself and save a lot on the labor but I’ve learned over the years that if were to try something like this I would end-up paying more latter.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited by RADMOND; 04-18-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:29 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Hopefully they will get you back on the road soon. It's cool you got a call and the explanation before they did any work.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't cut corners when it comes to stuff that will kill or maim me. Only thing I would suggest is to see if trading it in for a newer used or new model would make sense since financing would be available.

The service department at my dealership is top notch as well. It's comforting.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 AM
RADMOND
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about the trade in but I really need to get my wife a new car before I get a new toy

Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on trade up! weigh your options!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of thought...

I don't think they should charge you $20 for installing the grips, my dealer does it for free with the service 'cause taking them off/cleaning/lubing is part of the service.

That sounds way high for replacing the 2 cables.

If you can put off the primary leak, rocker box leak, and front tire (assuming it's not too bad) you can get back in the wind now & do the rest later when you have the $s.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:05 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Hey, sometimes it is the cost of owning one of these things.
Some dealers would have been much worse.
If you plan to keep the bike, consider a service manual. Informative reading at your leisure.
Ride safe!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

OP... when was the last time you lubed your cables?

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
I don't think they should charge you $20 for installing the grips, my dealer does it for free with the service 'cause taking them off/cleaning/lubing is part of the service.
Nowhere in any service manual does it call for taking off the grips and lubing them.

$20 is cheap for changing grips. I wouldn't change a set for $20, and I work cheap.

I thought that was the only thing that was reasonable, but if he's happy I'm happy.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Primary gasket kit: 60 bucks.
Valve cover gasket kit: 50 bucks.
Lyndall brake pads: 42 bucks
HD rotor: 50-100 bucks on ebay.
Throttle cables: 100 bucks.

Easy to fix these things yourself but it's your money.
No shame in just paying for it to be done I guess.
If I was made of money I would too maybe. I dunno...

Old 04-18-2015, 11:25 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good that you have a shop you are comfortable with, they're not that easy to come by. Personally, I'd leave the 688 bucks worth of leaks alone for now. If you didn't notice it before while doing your own services, they can't be that bad. keep an eye on them, go riding and when you save the money, have it done if it still bothers you.

I rode leaking or weeping bikes for a long time. Carry a shop rag and a quart of oil. It's not going to explode without notice.

Quick Reply: 20K Maintenance turns into 2K job