Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Road King - Bagless and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:35 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I agree a bagless RK wouldn't look as good as a softtail (eg Heritage) without bags. Afterall, I had a sweet 04 Fat Boy. But I traded the FB for the RK for the versatility and for touring trips with friends all of whom have baggers, 6-speeds, cruise control, etc.

Personally, I don't think the RK looks that bad without the bags, especially with a 2 to 1 exhaust, however, the rear crash bars protrude out way too far without the bags mounted...so in a bagless mode, I'd have to use narrower rear crash bars or remove them altogether. I was also considering removing the rear turn signals in favor of the light-kit inserts for that oval opening in the rear fender rail.

But again, I don't want to lose the bagger mode either. Just looking for options and a conversion that would only take 20-30 minutes of wrenching to change between bagger and bagless modes.

Other suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-21-2015, 06:57 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Besides being butt ugly, a RK without bags is just not a RK.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:40 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default BUMP...Anyone else with info??

BUMP...Anyone else with info??

Thanks...

Old 04-22-2015, 01:54 PM
tonetls
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the mods would be simple to use the existing bracket connected to the bottom of fender that holds the exhaust on.

Make a bracket to connect to existing bottom bracket, turn muffler over and connect from the bottom so brackets are hidden. Remove everything else that holds the bags up and it will look a lot cleaner.

Maybe get ride of the stock lightbar and put some aftermarket turn signals to hide the new brackets????

Plus you still can use the full length exhaust both sides which I think looks good.

Now deal with the side cover??????

Not a quick release back and forth but a solution to go bagless non the less........

JMO.............

Last edited by tonetls; 04-22-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:44 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tonetls
I think the mods would be simple to use the existing bracket connected to the bottom of fender that holds the exhaust on.

Make a bracket to connect to existing bottom bracket, turn muffler over and connect from the bottom so brackets are hidden. Remove everything else that holds the bags up and it will look a lot cleaner.

Plus you still can use the full length exhaust both sides which I think looks good.
I saw a picture of this idea and I thought it worked as well. In fact a set of fishtails might look really good. I also like the shortened slip-on idea.

I know the bagless RK is way out there thinking, but the few I've seen look more old school than the softail that is trying to give the the rigid look.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 04-22-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

What about adding pipes that do not need that bracket, like the vance and hines 2 into 2 big radius. Then when you want to take the bags off, take them off along with the brackets. Done, 10 minutes

Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 PM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithhu
[edit] oops, never mind, up to 08 only. Oh well, I'll leave it here in case others are interested

How about this? http://eglidegoodies.com/id257.html

If this is where you're going, just buy that new Honda Rb6 Br6 thing.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to think that I wanted a Switchback because I'd only use the bags when going on road trips. When I got my RK, I quickly realized how foolish that thought was. For a bar hopper, I think it would be fine. But having those bags for every day riding are way too handy!! I'm always putting something in them. Like my leathers when it's cool in the morning on the way to work, but heats up in the afternoon. Then there are the trips for small things at the store. Hell, I've got stuff in the bags right now and it's just sitting in the garage because of all the rain we've been getting.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:12 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before:

after:

Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

mtiberio, no offense, but that is not a good look. Why would anyone want a RK that goes bagless? Do the bags get in the way? Do they negatively impct the ride in anyway?

Either buy a second bike if you want a stripped down look, or get used to them.

Oh, and OP, if you take the saddlebags off, you don't need to have the rear guard bars on...the front guard rail will be enough to keep your rear end off the ground in a drop. The purpose of the rear guard rails is to protect the fiberglass bags from getting damaged with you drop it.

Quick Reply: 2014 Road King - Bagless and other mods