Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing my bike / HD Product Substitutes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:43 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Servicing my bike / HD Product Substitutes??

Hey all,

I'm doing some maintenance on my '14 RK. Getting stocked-up on parts/supplies. For those of you who do maintenance on your bikes, I wanted to know if there were suitable substitutes for these Harley products:

Tranny Fluid: I read on the forum that many are using 75W90 Synthetic gear oil. At the 1K service, my dealer installed 85W140 gear oil. I'm thinking Mobil 1 Syn 75W90 is the way to go?? Is a heavier weight better? What is the equivalent weight to Forumua +

Primary - I read on the forum that some use Rotella Triple Protection dino oil 15W40...I have some of this on-hand that I would like to use. OK to use in the primary?

Steering Head Bolt Adjustment - The shop manual says to use a 6" long, 1/4" driver to make this adjustment. Will a 6" long, 3/8 driver fitted with a 1/4" drive adapter fit inside the steering neck to make this adjustment?

"Harley Lube" for clutch cables and hand/foot control pivots. Is this a standard, petroleum-based cable lube? Any common substitutes available at the local auto parts store?

"Anti-Seize Lubricant" for Jiffy Stand: I've used regular axle grease in the past and it seems to work OK. Is the Anti-Seize necessary for the Jiffy stand or any other parts/maintenance?

"Special Purpose Grease" - What is it, and is there a common substitute?? Axle grease??

Silver or Copper Grease - for exhaust installation. I will be installing a new exhaust soon. I read it was a good idea to lube the muffler to head-pipe joint with silver or copper grease to facilitate easy removal in the future (such as when loosening rear axle nut to do drive belt tension). I'm guessing this can be found at the auto parts store??

Rear Axle Torque Tool (HD47925) - I read on the forum to simply remove mufflers and use 36 mm sockets/wrench, or use the JIMS or other similar tools. Which tool (HD, JIMS, other?) works best if you don't want to remove the mufflers? My 20-150 lb torque wrench is a 1/2" drive. I thought it might make sense to have this tool on-hand for drive belt adjustments, or for occasionally checking torque on rear axle nut...

Thanks all...

Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 PM
lilcorky61
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suscribed

Old 05-04-2015, 01:35 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertG
HTranny Fluid: I read on the forum that many are using 75W90 Synthetic gear oil. At the 1K service, my dealer installed 85W140 gear oil. I'm thinking Mobil 1 Syn 75W90 is the way to go?? Is a heavier weight better? What is the equivalent weight to Forumua +
20w50 is roughly the same weight as 75w-110 gear.

I use Amsoil SevereGear 75w-110, but BelRay, Red Line, and a host of others make a suitable replacement for the transmission.

Primary - I read on the forum that some use Rotella Triple Protection dino oil 15W40...I have some of this on-hand that I would like to use. OK to use in the primary?
In your primary, use a PRIMARY fluid. Harley Formula+ works well, as does Drag Specialties Primary, and a host of other primary specific fluid.
My preference is Red Line Synthetic Primary Fluid

"Harley Lube" for clutch cables and hand/foot control pivots. Is this a standard, petroleum-based cable lube? Any common substitutes available at the local auto parts store?
When I went to HD to buy "harley lube" this is what they sold me:
Tufoil Lubit-8

"Special Purpose Grease" - What is it, and is there a common substitute?? Axle grease??
Any good tube grease will work. I always use Lucas Waterproof.

Silver or Copper Grease - for exhaust installation. I will be installing a new exhaust soon. I read it was a good idea to lube the muffler to head-pipe joint with silver or copper grease to facilitate easy removal in the future (such as when loosening rear axle nut to do drive belt tension). I'm guessing this can be found at the auto parts store??
Silver Permatex Anti-Seize.
May not last as long as you would like on the exhaust.
I find when removing mufflers, a decent soaking with PB Blaster will help.
Rear Axle Torque Tool (HD47925) - I read on the forum to simply remove mufflers and use 36 mm sockets/wrench, or use the JIMS or other similar tools. Which tool (HD, JIMS, other?) works best if you don't want to remove the mufflers? My 20-150 lb torque wrench is a 1/2" drive. I thought it might make sense to have this tool on-hand for drive belt adjustments, or for occasionally checking torque on rear axle nut...
I couldn't find the "Harley" brand of that tool..

But I bought one from George's Garage, part number 740060, 33 bucks, quick shipping, made in the USA
http://www.georges-garage.com/chassis_tools.htm

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Default Tranny oil - 75W90 vs 75W140...which and why??

Safetyman - Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I use the Tufoil too...gotta get more...I'm running low. I saw that rear axle tool from George's...I think that's the one to get...maybe two...one for each side when doing drive belt tension adjustments.

One question regarding tranny oil...Why are some using 75W90 and others 75W140? Is the 140 weight better in the heat? As I mentioned, the dealer installed 85W140 at the 1K service. I didn't get a chance to ask them why. Don't want to start an oil thread...I just want to ensure the best weight/flow characteristics/protection for the tranny. I've read heavier weight (e.g. 140) is not always better with regard to flow characteristics, but I don't know how this applies to a RK tranny...

Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I use 75w-110, it is VERY close to 20w50 in viscosity... and HD recommends 20w50.

I imagine any of them will do the job.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:58 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Subscribed...

Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

We have just so many threads about oils I'll leave that stuff alone! For the rear axle I have a 36mm socket plus a 36mm open/ring combination wrench - or spanner as I prefer to call it, both conventional items from Ebay. The spanner weighs over 2 pounds, so take care with the darned thing!

Old 05-06-2015, 11:53 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Thanks all...