Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake & Clutch Lever Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:18 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake & Clutch Lever Install ?

I just picked up the HD Slotted Levers (38853-08) for my 13 Street Glide. I think I understand the "Shim The Lever" for the Brake Lever to protect the Switch.( I have the Service Manual and it goes thru a long process for Brake Lever Replacement which seems unnecessary.) On the Clutch Lever, upon searches, some say it is necessary to loosen the Clutch Cable while others say it is not. Also, some say it is necessary to loosen the Bar Clamps. Anybody done the Lever Swap that can tell me the best way to do it ??

Old 05-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't loosen the clutch cable, it will be hard to remove your existing lever for you to do the swap.

You don't have to loosen the bar clamps. To remove the lever, you just need to loosen the clutch cable to have enough slack, remove the retaining ring (part no. 11143) under the lever, pull out the white plastic pivot pin (part no. 38738-08), pull out the lever from the bracket body, and then remove the cable pin with a rectangular head (part no. 38900-08).

If you have the proper tool for removing the retaining ring, then everything else is easy. Just be careful when removing the retaining ring, because those suckers are hard to find once they spring out from your tool and drop on the floor.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bikeagraman
If you don't loosen the clutch cable, it will be hard to remove your existing lever for you to do the swap.

You don't have to loosen the bar clamps. To remove the lever, you just need to loosen the clutch cable to have enough slack, remove the retaining ring (part no. 11143) under the lever, pull out the white plastic pivot pin (part no. 38738-08), pull out the lever from the bracket body, and then remove the cable pin with a rectangular head (part no. 38900-08).

If you have the proper tool for removing the retaining ring, then everything else is easy. Just be careful when removing the retaining ring, because those suckers are hard to find once they spring out from your tool and drop on the floor.

Thanks for the info. I just spent about an hour (Started with Brake Lever) trying to remove the stock lever. I shimmed per instructions but couldn't get the lever off. Seemed to be hanging on the rear of the bar clamp. I didn't want to apply much force and risk breaking the switch. I will just take it to a local Indy since I don't have a HD Dealer nearby...

Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 PM
dombrow4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake lever is pretty straight forward, as mentioned above.
The clutch cable needs to be loosened, go as far a "possible" (remember to mark the initial nut location for reference). Nonetheless, once the cable is loose, you will still need to pull the the lever with the cable still in slot of the lever (this is engaging the clutch itself) which will allow you to have enough clearance to remove the lever / cable from the housing.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:25 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser

Thanks for all the info. Took it to local Indy Shop. Got it done in about 30 mins.