Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally close to making a decision RG or an Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Finally close to making a decision RG or an Ultra Classic

So I've been debating a new bike for some time now, and think I'm ready. I wanted to wait for the 2016's to see if the MoCo comes out with a RG Ultra, but now I think I'm just gonna bite on new bike sooner rather than later.

I currently own a 2003 RK Classic. Plan to keep it.

I test drove a 2015 RG about a month ago. Real short ride. Liked it. Haven't ridden the Limited yet. I'd like to rent each one a day before making a final decision. I doubt I'd be unhappy with either.

If I buy the Limited, it will have pretty much everything I need minus a few things I'm sure I'll want to add like quick detatch for trunk.

If I buy the Glide, I know I'll for sure end up buying a king tour pak, maybe lowers and a couple other things as well down the road.

A couple questions: The RG Special comes with 12" premium shocks if I'm not mistaken, right? If I want to have the 13" installed, will this mess up the handling of the bike at all or just put me at where the Ultra would be at?

Also, should I stick with just a slip on and stage 1 or got full exhaust route to get rid of Cats and get a little more breathing going on? I'd think after 2 year warranty is up, I'd end up doing some engine work.

If I do go full exhaust, any recommendations? I have the Kury PowerCells and kromwerks 3.5" on my 2003 RKC's 107" build and like it, but wouldn't mind maybe a bit louder exhaust on this one (nothing ridiculous as I tour a lot and want it to help with performance rather than hinder it.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Changing the shocks wouldn't hurt at all and would handle just like the Ultra.

Get rid of the cats. The exhaust runs stupid hot with them and cooks the back of your leg.

I like the Fullsac exhaust options as they have been proven to perform REALLY well.

I have two Road Glides in my garage so I may be a touch biased, but..........

Old 06-02-2015, 01:45 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The limited has a TON of stuff not on the RG. Just do a comparison and the features on the limited make it a real value. Of course the RG is cool at its best. I would wonder if the front forks were lowered to match the shorter rear shocks on the RG. So a couple of questions... does a CB matter to you, lots of folks who ride together use them, does the intercom matter to you, its nice to talk to your passenger. Heated grips and the tour pak are just a couple more items. Adding those items to a bike are expensive. My main advice is make sure you ride the RG at freeway speeds and see how the helmet buffeting is going for you. All that being said I love the new RG's.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

I'm inclined to go with value. By the time you buy the RG and add all of the options you are going to want, I imagine you would surely surpass the Limited price.

Tour pack, lowers, heated grips, communications and shock upgrade is a pricey venture. At the end of day you would still have a bike with less value, as the extras are never figured in as REAL value. The only place the extras have value is at the dealer when you buy them. At trade or sell time you never get your money back.

With the Limited you are paying for the extras but the bike values higher so you get a return on your money.

The bottom line though is ride what you love, love what you ride.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:16 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

You might consider waiting until the new lineup comes out late August, its likely there'll be a Road Glide Ultra.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,107 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Yeah that.

That way you get the best of both worlds

Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
You might consider waiting until the new lineup comes out late August, its likely there'll be a Road Glide Ultra.
That's what I was aiming for, but a perfect storm of life events is coming and this summer/fall looks like the chance for me to take a 4-6 week bike trip that I feel will only be once in a lifetime and I can no longer trust my 03 king to do that sort of touring----too many issues in last 18 months. I'm really hoping I test drive the Limited and fall in love because I know it's the better value.

Another question, how are dealers about servicing a bike purchased at another dealer? I know they have to, but.....

Last edited by rhuff; 06-02-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

You might want to wait for the 16's. There are some rumors floating around the the 16 Ultra's will sport the 110 motors, with the CVO's going to the 120ST. Then all models will go to the 110 the following year. Rumors of course......

Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 AM
bteski
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy the limited, install the kit to remove the tourpack add backrest as needed.
lots of moves from there.
Cheers

Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I looked at different bikes before I bought my RG. Most of the little options that the Ultra or Limited had weren't of a concern to me. I did want the tourpak and I did want the front lowers, but did not need the rest. So I added those two items and was less than what an Ultra would have cost me.

Quick Reply: Finally close to making a decision RG or an Ultra Classic