Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges!

Early in 2014 Ohlins announced their new 25mm FKC101 cartridges, designed expressly to fit our H-D Touring bikes’ 41mm front forks. All went quiet for a time, but at last they are readily available. This thread marries a pair of them together with a Custom Cycle Engineering (CCE) ‘Dresser Tour Trac Trees’ kit, to provide a practical and significant forks upgrade. As supplied the cartridges won’t fit the longer tubes of the CCE kit, but Howard Messner of HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal (MM) has very kindly put in a lot of effort to modify them to suit.

For several years now CCE have offered their Tour Trac kit, which provides a new billet top tree and longer fork tubes, so that our 41mm forks can be clamped and properly supported, just like the Rushmore bikes and indeed most other brands. I anticipate that the new top tree will increase torsional stiffness of the fork legs, keeping them parallel to each other, hence giving better steering and handling, while the cartridges will provide improved control of the front wheel over the bumps and generally improve comfort and grip. I won’t pretend that my new forks are going to knock spots off a bike with MM 49mm trees/forks and Ohlins 30mm cartridges, but I do look forward to a significantly improved riding experience.

My photos below show my CCE kit as received and my Ohlins cartridges ditto. If you study Ohlins’ website you will see the differences between the stock FKC cartridges and mine. With my MM #3-#3 shocks and True-Track handling kit at the rear (plus '04 swingarm and later rear wheel) I look forward to the day when I can brag that I have an Electra Glide with both front and rear Ohlins suspension!

I should point out that my bike is a 1990 FLHS and this project is part of a more extensive makeover, which includes fitting later sliders, calipers and front wheel, also overcoming the challenge of retaining my front wheel driven speedo, so I will be taking my time to get this all together and right. I will also be using mostly new components, with nothing carried over from my old forks.

For reasons that aren't clear to me Ohlins say their kit is only suitable for bikes from '97 to '13. Those of you with later bikes than mine, using your existing sliders, wheel and brakes, will find the work to be more straightforward. Instructions for each kit as supplied are available on the CCE and Ohlins websites. There are of course the options to install either kit, or both!

Attached Thumbnails CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges!-cce-forks-yoke-kit_e.jpg   CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges!-ohlins-cartridges_e.jpg  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Two years ago I installed the CCE Tour Trac kit, along with upgraded springs and valves. Low and high speed handling improved a lot: bike tracks straight and is much more precise. Steering used to be squirmy; now it's not. I highly recommend the mod. Adding the Ohlins cartridge kit is very tempting. I look forward to hearing reports on the combined mod.

I wonder if Howard needs a volunteer test platform for the modded cartridges. ...

Last edited by jefla; 06-03-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
09Rootbeer
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks grbrown as I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my 09 ultra as it has 87000
miles on it and it needs improving as my wife and I do a lot of riding and her back is starting to bother her,

Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,395 Likes on 4,009 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Early in 2014 Ohlins announced their new 25mm FKC101 cartridges, designed expressly to fit our H-D Touring bikes’ 41mm front forks.

As supplied the cartridges won’t fit the longer tubes of the CCE kit, but Howard Messner of HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal (MM) has very kindly put in a lot of effort to modify them to suit.

Will Howard be doing this now as one of his Ohlin services? He's been pretty outspoken against modifying the 41mm forks v converting to 49mm forks....

I've almost have the money saved for my rear Ohlins, which I'll get from Howard.

Then comes the front suspension. I'm torn between the Howard 49mm solution and the CCE/Ohlins for 41mm....

Obviously, money does matter....

I will be waiting to see how you like the Ohlin/CCE combo.

Good luck with the mod.....

Old 06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by 09Rootbeer
Thanks grbrown as I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my 09 ultra as it has 87000
miles on it and it needs improving as my wife and I do a lot of riding and her back is starting to bother her,
I started by changing to Ohlins shocks, which were a huge improvement! So as an introduction to much improved ride quality I recommend you start with them. That will in turn demonstrate how poor your forks are, but your wife will be far more comfortable (as will you!), while I get on with this mod!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by hattitude
Will Howard be doing this now as one of his Ohlin services? He's been pretty outspoken against modifying the 41mm forks v converting to 49mm forks....

I've almost have the money saved for my rear Ohlins, which I'll get from Howard.

Then comes the front suspension. I'm torn between the Howard 49mm solution and the CCE/Ohlins for 41mm....

Obviously, money does matter....

I will be waiting to see how you like the Ohlin/CCE combo.

Good luck with the mod.....
I'm sure that having done mine Howard can produce other upgraded cartridges, to fit the CCE kit, but it would be wise to phone him and ask! Now that Ohlins are producing these 'budget' cartridges I'm sure they will become popular as an alternative to other brands.

Being idle retired my budget for such mods is limited, so I have 'made do' with #3-3 shocks (the #6 had only just become available when I bought them and the cost of #6 was a bit of a shock at the time!) and this approach to the forks. Given a deeper pocket I would have no hesitation by going with #6 and 49mm Ohlins forks.

My own installation of the FKC101s involves quite a lot of other challenges, so I may be some time before I am able to report on a test ride!

Last edited by grbrown; 06-10-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Modifications

I'm sure that having done mine Howard can produce other upgraded cartridges, to fit the CCE kit, but it would be wise to phone him and ask! Now that Ohlins are producing these 'budget' cartridges I'm sure they will become popular as an alternative to other brands.

Being idle retired my budget for such mods is limited, so I have 'made do' with #3-3 shocks (the #6 had only just become available when I bought them and the cost of #6 was a bit of a shock at the time!) and this approach to the forks. Given a deeper pocket I would have no hesitation by going with #6 and 49mm Ohlins forks.

My own installation of the FKC101s involves quite a lot of other challenges, so I may be some time before I am able to report on a test ride!
I am glad you got off da azz and dropped the tea & crumpets and got going. We can discuss this here a it is fine with me. I thought when I made you your 25mm cartridges that they would be drop in on your new sliders for your HD Brembo calipers? I am confused on this or are you having trouble getting something to fit which y9ou should not? Maybe you are waiting for your 36" front wheel?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Howard it takes a little longer to get things done on the other side of the pond , Graham being the Gentleman he is has a very busy social calendar and when you factor in tea breaks and all , well there's only so much time in a day. I look forward to his results and testing , as he truly is a technical person who will give an honest review.

Last edited by tj316; 06-10-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:05 PM
lowbed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:09 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,395 Likes on 4,009 Posts

I am retired myself, trying to save for Ohlins in the rear & Howard's 49mm/Ohlins in the front. It's harder to save for mods when I can't just sign up for overtime!

Since it's already taken longer than planned saving for the rear shocks, I'm always willing to learn about front suspension options.

From your posts I can tell you are a technical person and a straight shooter. I would value your opinion/experience with the Ohlin/CCE mod....

At the rate I am saving, you may well be done before I have the money for my front suspension...

Quick Reply: CCE Dresser Tour Trac Forks Kit Marries MM Ohlins Cartridges!