Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparking negative terminal

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 PM
junglebill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparking negative terminal

2008 Roadking stock
Been trying to track down electrical gremlin for couple days. Thought I had it licked by clean up a couple connectors ( riding in heavy rain for a week) but today, after running fine for 30 minutes, died and wouldn't crank.

Check battery and it we dead. Also fours years old so after failing to charge I bought and installed new one ($194)! Connected positive then as I started neg, got a dull orange spark. That's not right, right?

Cranks now, but will not run smooth or accelerate past 30 mph. Not in limp mode, just no throttle.

Any help? Thanks. This has been my work ride to the last 4 years. Never had a problem. So frustrated!

Old 06-06-2015, 05:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

a spark when connecting the neg indicates current flow...like from a radio or alarm.

but could also be a bad diode in the regulator.

rather than looking for sparks- connect an ammeter in series ( like just about any multimeter) between the negative cable and the terminal.

...pull the maxifuse and test.

if you have current flow it could be the reg...disconnect the reg wire from the battery +

if there is no current flow then there's the problem...replace regulator

if it's not the reg, pull all the fuses and replace the maxifuse and re-test, adding a fuse at a time.

mike

Old 06-07-2015, 10:17 AM
junglebill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out it was water in the connector from the ECM to an after market fuel mgt system. Dried it out, removed the aftermarket part, problem solved. Important note, my Indie mechanic, made a house call to sort this out! If you are in my neck of the woods ( waynesville NC) and need a great and honest mech, let me know!