Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide Starter Leaking Primary Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide Starter Leaking Primary Oil

Yes that's right folks. Played for a month trying to locate leaking oil from somewhere around the primary. Changed the outer primary cover gasket, pulled the inner primary and replaced the seals and still leaking. Finally pulled the starter and replaced the "O" ring to the inner primary. Then I noticed the primary oil passed right through the starter and was leaking out of the starter body. This all started in Aug 14 when I had the starter clutch replaced. Eventually installed a complete new starter and the problem was solved. Very frustrating experience.

My mechanic said don't try to fix them once they leak from the starter body. Find the nearest garbage can and pitch it in there as fast as you can. They are throw a ways!
Anyone else encountered this type of problem?

Terry (Scorpio)
Ontario Canada

Old 07-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Roqqbottom
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Primary

My '09 has the same leak... I just replaced the clutch assembly in the starter.. I've taken the starter out three time and I can clearly see that the oil is coming from the starter... I'm considering just replacing the starter... My inner primary is bone dry.. Oil is coming from the weep hole in the bottom of the starter... It's grease from the starter bearings mixed with "Ford F Type" transmission oil which is bright red.. That's what I use in my primary...