Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me your Viewpoint.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:31 PM
RoadhouseRG
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Give me your Viewpoint.....

ok, give me your viewpoint. I bought a chopped tour pak in May of 2013 from a dealership in Ohio b/c they were cheaper than any dealer in my area. It was for my 2009 CVO Road Glide, Stardust Silver color with led spoiler and premium hinges. I got the tourpak and assumed everything was fine, used it since I got it and now I am trying to add a George Anderson tourpak relocator. I purchased one from George and went to install it and it will not work with my chopped tourpak b/c the bottom isn't flat, it has ridges around it, see attached picture. I called George and he understood, talked to two dealerships in my area and they told me 2009 and later the bottoms were flat, that you were shipped/sold an older style tourpak. The round stock on the edges of the relocator kit are right inline with the ridges on my tourpak, doesn't sit well. I called the dealership I bought the chopped tourpak from, talked to both the parts mgr and service mgr and they said "since you bought an accessory tourpak and did not have an OEM tourpak, they are different. I don't know of any aftermarket relocator kit that will work on a chopped tourpak." So basically they said "its your problem now, HD doesn't use the same bottom on all tourpaks". I can't even slide it forward b/c of the ridge that stops it. BTW....the king tourpak I had before which I bought as an accessory was flat on the bottom.
What would you do in this situation? Do I have any recourse from HD?? Or am I screwed?

Attached Thumbnails Give me your Viewpoint.....-003.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 05:43 PM
skeeter 250
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you could make an adapter plate to the tourpack and drill it to match the relocater kit. I would think any fob shop could handle that project.

Last edited by skeeter 250; 06-22-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: fat finger
Old 06-22-2015, 05:45 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

use lexan, aluminum, plywood or whatever and make a simple spacer. Never going to see it anyhow.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Tour pak is 2 yrs old. You mounted and used it. It's yours. Harley doesn't have to do anything. It obviously worked for the application you bought it for. Now (2 yrs) down the road, a third party accessory won't work with it, and you want them to do what? Like others said, get creative, make an adapter plate.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Make a filler plate to locate the holes to the tour pack and then drill other holes to mount the relocation kit. Simple.

Batman

Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Now you know why it was cheaper than everywhere else.Adapt and move on,the dealer owes you nothing at this point in time.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 PM
digger58
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You pay your money, you take your chances.
SOL on this one, seems pretty easy to fix though

Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

i'm not sure i see the problem. i used a hd chopped tourpack, it had ridges like yours, and a george anderson tourpack relocator with no issue. though, it was on my 2007, so not sure how george changed the relocator for the 2009 and up bikes.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:40 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

After this length of time the dealer owes you nothing. Fix the problem yourself or sell it on the forum and start over with the correct tour pack. Caveat Emptor when some things are cheaper.
Bill

Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 AM
RoadhouseRG
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm not sure i see the problem. i used a hd chopped tourpack, it had ridges like yours, and a george anderson tourpack relocator with no issue. though, it was on my 2007, so not sure how george changed the relocator for the 2009 and up bikes.
skratch....the half round stock on the outside edge of the relocator is right in line with the ridges on the tourpak....so it doesn't sit well, so I am going to make some spacers to raise up the tourpak enough to miss the ridges

Quick Reply: Give me your Viewpoint.....