Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking Limited in Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Beerlover2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking Limited in Toy Hauler

Next year my wife and I are going to do some extensive traveling around the US for about 6 – 8 months. The plan is to take a small toy hauler so we can take the Harley with us to enjoy some riding up the CA coast, Oregon coast, etc. Although it would be fun to just take the Harley, this trip would not entail just riding and we thought it would be fun to do a combination of riding and having the toy hauler for sleeping and camping and then being able to do other adventures just taking our truck.
Anybody else do this? I know this is a touring forum and most would just make this trip on your bike but this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the US, camp and fish, drink and site see and just do whatever we want without any time frame to do it.
Any feedback is appreciated!

Old 06-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like a great plan.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Wandering Nomad
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We haven't taken a trip that long but we do take trips in our toy hauler with two bikes. We are actually taking a trip this weekend. It's really great to have a ready made place to relax and have the bikes with us. I don't know which toy hauler you are going to use or what you will pull it with but I recommend a fifth wheel with a separate garage area. They end to be a little larger but provide more creature comforts and room as well as a place to park the bike.
Your trip has me a little envious. Enjoy yourselves. This country has a lot to see and do both on two wheels and four.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:26 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Just made the maiden voyage in my new "toy hauler". It is a converted 7'x14' cargo trailer. Not ideal to park the bike in if you wanted to take the truck somewhere, a toy hauler with a dedicated garage would be better, but the bike is dry parked out side under the awning. I would love to do a lengthy trip like you describe. I need a shower, but I have no fear of camp ground or preferred state park ones. Couple shots of last weekend in the Adirondacks...

And a shot of the inside. Bed flips to the left

I put my 2015 FLTRXS in here with the tour pack on fine.

Adam

Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a toy hauler and use it several times a year. Make sure to learn how to set the travel mode on your bikes security or you will get there with a bike and a dead battery. I know this from experience.

Last edited by NDBadlands4-2; 06-23-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

A Forest River 30 foot WRS Work and Play Toy Hauler, inside we have our 2010 Electra Glide Limited, a Kawasaki KLR650 to trail ride on, a 2011 F250 6.7 diesel out front.
The Oregon coast is really nice, check all the Light House as you go along the coast.
Crater Lake is a must see, also Mount Hood, Columbia river gorge, and Mount St. Helens.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have a toy hauler and use it several times a year. Make sure to learn how to set the travel mode on your bikes security or you will get there with a bike and a dead battery. I know this from experience.
Good advice. So many people think if they put the fob near the bike that's good enough. The security is not disabled until the ignition is turned on with fob nearby. Therefore, you need to put bike in transport mode so motion sensor is deactivated.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-23-2015, 02:50 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Good advice. So many people think if they put the fob near the bike that's good enough. The security is not disabled until the ignition is turned on with fob nearby. Therefore, you need to put bike in transport mode so motion sensor is deactivated. Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
That's good to know. I haven't trailered my bike yet but I will look into this for when I do.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:04 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

We're taking the Limited in the toy hauler in 2 weeks on a trip to NC. Thanks for the tip on the security system!!

Old 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
A Forest River 30 foot WRS Work and Play Toy Hauler, inside we have our 2010 Electra Glide Limited, a Kawasaki KLR650 to trail ride on, a 2011 F250 6.7 diesel out front.
The Oregon coast is really nice, check all the Light House as you go along the coast.
Crater Lake is a must see, also Mount Hood, Columbia river gorge, and Mount St. Helens.
I have a WnP 30WLA and I'm wondering how much of a pain it will be to load and unload the bike. I'm thinking raise the tongue jack up a bit to lower the ramp angle so the bike doesn't bottom out. Any advice?

Quick Reply: Taking Limited in Toy Hauler