Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   How high can I go? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1055498-how-high-can-i-go.html)

phludder 06-24-2015 12:20 PM

How high can I go?

Hello all, I'm new to Harley ownership, I have a barebones 2001 FLHT... I'm 6'4 and did just over a thousand miles and I can't turn my head for the pain in my shoulders. I have buddies with varying heights of bars and it feels much more comfortable than me reaching down for mine. My question is how high can i go without having to change all my cables and wires?

Thanks

Keithhu 06-24-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by phludder (Post 14146086)
Hello all, I'm new to Harley ownership, I have a barebones 2001 FLHT... I'm 6'4 and did just over a thousand miles and I can't turn my head for the pain in my shoulders. I have buddies with varying heights of bars and it feels much more comfortable than me reaching down for mine. My question is how high can i go without having to change all my cables and wires?

Thanks

Look, you're 6-4. Dont let cable length determine long term comfort.

Buy the most comfortable bars you can find, and the cables/wires that fit.

I'm 5-10 and I found 14" bars to be most comfortable. You'd likely be at least that tall, and you'll need to buy cables.

decencyxdefied 06-24-2015 12:43 PM

U might be able to get an extra 2" maybe, you have the push pull set up so if u wanted to see exactly how much slack you have just remove one of the cables and see what ya got.. But it would be a waste of ur time for such a minimal difference. I'm 6 even and have 14s and I could easily go 16 and be comfortable

KCFLHRC 06-24-2015 01:08 PM

One thing to consider, it may not be the bars. More than likely your posture while on the bike. A driver backrest can do wonders for this. It forces you to sit upright instead of all hunched over. It worked for me anyway.

Mike 06-24-2015 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by phludder (Post 14146086)
My question is how high can i go without having to change all my cables and wires?

Thanks

You're asking the wrong question. Choose your bars based on what fits you, and looks right. In that order. Then figure out wiring, cablews and brake lines. None of that is difficult, you can install apes in a day, even if you've never done it.

rochkes 06-24-2015 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC (Post 14146210)
One thing to consider, it may not be the bars. More than likely your posture while on the bike. A driver backrest can do wonders for this. It forces you to sit upright instead of all hunched over. It worked for me anyway.

I agree that a backrest will help a great deal and it is much easier and cheaper to install a backrest than to change bars. That was my first step, but I still find myself needing higher bars.

If you are going to ride 800+ miles a day, I think you need both. If you are going to ride a few hours or a few hundred miles, I think the backrest alone will be fine.

Dennis

fullautomike 06-24-2015 01:48 PM

How high can I go?

another vote for a backrest. I have the Harley adjustable and love it. never get shoulder burn pain any more

matt76cmich 06-24-2015 02:02 PM

I'm 6'5" and 14" KST bars work perfect for me on my 15' street glide. I'm also looking into getting a back rest.

SD lumpy 06-24-2015 02:18 PM

You must not look at the cost of cables. Find what you like and what fits you, can't say if a back rest will do the trick never use one I am only 6' and have 16 on mine and they are too short, but I have a very long upper body. You just got in to a spendy hobby that will never stop costing you money but money spent on happness is money well spent. have fun and be safe.

steelerdude1 06-24-2015 07:07 PM

To answer your question, 10" will work, but the clutch cable needs re routed, and the brake line is tight. If you have the stock brake line, you will need to re shape it. I used a tube bender so I wouldn't break the metal tubing. I ended up replacing my clutch cable with +4 when my cable started leaking at the bottom end.

I have 10" yaffee original bagger apes. Had them on with my batwing and kept them with the conversion. They are very comfortable to me. I'm 6' 0"