Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered Front End Bottoming Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:20 AM
vboxmark
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered Front End Bottoming Out

I have a 2009 Ultra SE that I justpurchased and it has a 21" front wheel with stock suspension. So Iwent to HD Dealer to have the 1" lowering front springs put in andnow the bike rides level which is good, but the problem is if I ride overa manhole cover raised 2" or a driveway curb raised or any sharp risein the road the front end feels like it bottoms out and bike jumps.
When I first picked up the bike afterhaving the work done I ran over a manhole cover and noticed it right away and thenanother, so back to the dealer I went. They said that's the effects of lowering the front the 1" andhaving a 21" tire.
Is that right?
Any suggestions on what I can do?
One more thing, I measured in the garagethe cowbell travel with me pushing in the handle bars as hard as possible and Iget 1" of travel.
Thanks.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:28 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Check the front fork oil level. I have lowered front spring put in before I picked up my bike. Rode stiff and harsh for 10k miles before my indy checked the oil level, both sides overfilled by 3-4 oz., looked like the dealer didn't drain the oil completely, then fill them full.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

What did you use to lower the front end?

I used Progressive monotube cartridges, and do not bottom out.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 AM
vboxmark
Novice

I used HD Factory 1" lowering kit.

Do you think a different kit would work differently?

I brought it back to the dealer and they check it out and said that's just the way it is, but I don't think so.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 AM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 21 and 2" lowered in the front with no bottoming. Check level and what oil weight did they use. I used the SE heavy...rides great

Old 06-27-2015, 10:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

heavier oil will dampen, you'll need to hire someone to help you get the best ride at your desired "stance".
you may even need to buy a complete other lowering kit which allows pre-load.

have you smacked your fender into the triple tree yet?

mike

Old 06-27-2015, 06:34 PM
RidingScotsman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LilWick
I have a 21 and 2" lowered in the front with no bottoming. Check level and what oil weight did they use. I used the SE heavy...rides great

I had an issue with the front bottoming out on a Deuce when I lowered the front end. Initially had standard weight fork oil but drained and put SE heavy weight oil in, the bottoming out stopped.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The suspensions on Harleys don't have much travel to begin with. For each inch you lower the bike you take an inch of travel out. higher weight oil will stiffen up the forks so they don't bottom out as easily. But the bottom line is lowering the front or rear is for appearance and compromises the travel and ride quality.

On my old Road king I put 1" lowering springs in the forks and shorter shocks on the reat when my wife, who is short, was riding it. Really compromised the ride quality, particuarly when riding any rough road. I rode it a few times and could not believe the difference. When my son started riding it we put back on the longer springs and taller shocks and the ride was greatly improved.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:19 AM
vboxmark
Novice

Just reading over my receipt and the type of fork oil they used is E so it's only 5 wt, so I think that may be the problem. They should have none better to use a heavier wt oil. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Do you think I should use 10 wt and see how that is or just go with 15 wt?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Pitbull2411
What did you use to lower the front end?

I used Progressive monotube cartridges, and do not bottom out.
What he said, I had the HD lowering springs on my RG and got tired of the clunk every time I hit a small bump and took it to the dealer twice and they said it was normal with the lowering springs so I took it to
a local Indy and had the monotubes installed and that fixed it and it rides so much better!!!

Quick Reply: Lowered Front End Bottoming Out