Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Road King

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 PM
richiep
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Road King

I'm confused about the clutch interlock safety switch. A lot of guys on the forum say it is standard on the Police Bikes. I'm waiting for delivery on a 2005 Police Road King, so I bought the 2005 HD Police Model Owner's Manual just to familiarize myself with the bike, while I'm waiting for it to be delivered.

There's nothing in themanual about this switch. It says to start the bike, just turn on the ignition, kill switch and hit the starter button.

Can someone clear this up for me ??

Old 04-29-2007, 12:53 PM
2notch
Novice
Default RE: Police Road King

My 05 flhtpi has clutch interlock...my 06 sporty does not...no problem i just push the button and pull in the clutch...you will love the ABS brakes on the cop bike....oh yeah and the wide air ride seats is nice too....Lee

Old 04-29-2007, 01:10 PM
05flhpi
Advanced

Yes, you have to pull the clutch in, hold and then start. You can see the little micro switch inside the clutch handle assy. I think it came on the Police models because a lot of motor cops might have been starting the bike "in gear" right before they pulled over that speeder. BTW, great bike. I love mine to pieces.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:08 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RK Police had the switch (a small push button switch in the switch housing behind the clutch lever). I replaced the switch housings and buttons with standard housings to get rid of the unused switches and the red switches, and just ran the clutch switch wires to a toggle hidden elsewhere on the bike to hopefully slow down a thief a little. The toggle has to be on to start my bike, but has no effect once the bike is running.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
richiep
Intermediate

I understand what all you guys are saying and thanks. I guess I'll have to wait and see if mine is equipped with it. Why is there absolutely no mention of it in the 2005 HD Police Road King Owner's Manual? It it mentioned in the owner's manual you guys got with your bikes? Maybe there was some sort of supplement / insert that came withthe 2005 FLHP when it was new?

Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
2notch
Novice

I just checked my manual and....nothing on page 68....turn key on wait 4 seconds and push the button.....nothing happens suprise!!! hmmm! i think it is a secret so no one will steal cop bikes ...since they dont come with security systems...anyhow u wil love the bike......Lee

Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2notch

i think it is a secret so no one will steal cop bikes
It was a secret- now everyone knows about it

I think the main purpose is just to ensure cops pull in their clutch before starting their bikes in case they're in gear. A lot of other brands of bikes come with sidestand switches and clutch switches and other safety related BS to ensure a distracted or inexperienced riderdoesn't thumb the button and go crashing into a pole.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you look at the wiring diagram at page B-38 ("Handlebar Controls, . . ."), the left handlebar controls shows the "clutch lockout switch." At least that's what is shown in my '04 Police SM.

I always thought of the interlock switch as a security device. It is relatively easy to disable this, at least on my '04 FLHTPI, if you want to use other levers or install chrome controls.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM
richiep
Intermediate

You guys are awesome...thanks for the info (sorry if I let the secret out). My handle bar diagram doesn't show any clutch interlock switch, but I guess I'll find out for sure as soon as I get my bike.....hopefully this week. If you try to start these bikes without pulling the clutch in, does the starter spin the engine, or does just nothing happen??

Old 04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Page 46 of my '04 HD Owner's Manual for Police Models, dealing with the clutch lever, says, among other things in the second paragraph, "If the clutch is not engaged, the vehicle will not start (even if in neutral)."

Quick Reply: Police Road King