Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tires= wobble

Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 AM
arkmark
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires= wobble

I've got a 98 electraglide and every time i put new tires on i get wobbles at about 75-80 mph. its not really a death wobble but just a rocking back and forth, if a do a quick push on the bars it will do it pretty bad and takes a bit before it settles back down. This has been the case every time i change tires. first set were continental milestones, then metzeler me 880, metzeler 888, and now a set of shinko tourmasters. this will go on for about the first 2-300 miles and then ride out like a champ for the rest of the life of the tire. The tires never show any odd wear on them and I get average miles per set. I've replaced swingarm bushings, and put in the race tech gold valve emulators while running the metzeler 888 and I do wheel bearings everytime I change a tire. So any suggestions on what I may have going on or just get used to having a bit of a nerve racking few hundred miles every time i get new tires?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:36 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

You did not mention whether or not you have ever checked fall away or adjusted steering head bearings

I would start with fall away test

Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

I suspect the tires are not fully seated on their beads when you get it, and work the beads down/in the rest of the way during those first few hundred miles.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with fox, try letting the air out & looking at the bead. Might even get a spray bottle & fill it with a mixture of soap & water (about a 50/50 solution) & air it back up to see if it helps. You might take it up to 60-70 psi & then drop it to the pressure you want.

Toby

Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 AM
arkmark
Novice

Keep in mind this happens with every new srt of tires so 4th time now. Tires are seated fine and the neck bearing test for a bagger being pull the bar to one side and let go shows it to be just a touch tight. If it were a neck bearing issue why would it only show itself for the short period after a new set of tires?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using traditional weights or dyna beads, etc?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Air. Try 41/41 PSI.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:05 PM
arkmark
Novice

Traditional weights, I'll try the higher air tonight. I usually run 35 front 38 rear

Old 07-15-2015, 07:40 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

About the only thing that can change to where the tire stops doing that suggests the bead. I know when mine did it, it was the bead & just looking at it, it was not noticeable. But that is what it was. As for the fourth time, it could be that the rim is just tight enough that it happens every time. Good luck.

Toby

Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by arkmark
Keep in mind this happens with every new srt of tires so 4th time now. Tires are seated fine and the neck bearing test for a bagger being pull the bar to one side and let go shows it to be just a touch tight. If it were a neck bearing issue why would it only show itself for the short period after a new set of tires?
I have experianced this on my 2011 Heritage on a front tire change, twice. The first time I made 2 trips to the dealer service dept for the step by step ck list for this issue. They improved it only. Service manager said to ride it awhile it may improve. After a few hundred miles it smoothed out. The second front tire, same thing. This time I road it for about 300 miles, and again it smoothed out. Why, I dunno. First tire was a Metz 888 and the second time was a Dunlop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new tires= wobble