Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a 2015 RG for a test ride yesterday....

Old 07-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Took a 2015 RG for a test ride yesterday....

And lo & behold, I didn't walk out of the dealership with a new bike! Crazyness!

In all seriousness though, wow did that thing ride & handle nice. It literally floated over road imperfections & frost heaves. The handling was nice & tight, albeit it felt heavier due to that my current ride has apes, so the steering on that feels much lighter. I would assume that if I were to put apes on a RG that it would be even lighter feeling in the front end.

I won't deny that it was very tempting to sign some papers as soon as I was done with the short test ride, but I did feel that that I was receiving more wind that on my SG. However, the wind I felt was very, very clean. No buffeting whatsoever. A refreshing change from my SG. In fact, I rarely wear a helmet mainly due to the brain rattling buffeting I get from my SG. I could actually see myself wearing a brain bucket with a RG.

So a few questions for the RG owners that have made the switch & have upgraded the useless windshield, which in my mind contributed to the amount of wind I was feeling:
1. Once you went to a taller windscreen, did you find that the clean air became more turbulent? I noticed that by closing the vents I was able to mitigate the amount of air I was receiving, does that affect the turbulence of the air when using a taller windscreen or is it a non factor?

2. I'm in MN, & tend to ride until the snow flies...is there a difference in how the RG fairing affects your ability to ride in the cold vs. a batwing?

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the RG & can deal with wind for the most part. I realize that I'm on a motorcycle & will take a car if I need to get out of the wind, but I'd like to believe that I'm going to have at least a similar amount of protection from the elements when it's raining, cold, etc that I do with my SG. I like to rack up the miles while I can, living in the great white north.

3. I plan on having my girl take a test ride with me at some point as well, as I've read that the passenger receives a lot more wind blast on a RG, is this true? She's pretty much a fair weather rider, so I want her to find the RG enjoyable to ride on. I know as far as comfort from road imperfections won't be a problem, it's more about those cooler days when she's ready on the fence about going. Don't want her to ride less because she's getting more exposure to the wind than she does currently on the SG.

The dealership has offered me $15-16k on trade, depending on what, of my accessories, I leave on the bike, so a pretty good trade value. However, it basically just pays off my loan, so I'd be starting from scratch. I'm planning on waiting a bit longer to not only see what happens with the 2016 release, but also would like to keep a few of my add ons so I don't have to fork out for the basic necessities out of the gate to get the new bike ready for two up riding & comfortable for long trips (ie highway pegs). I also feel I can probably do a little better if I wait till after riding season to not only see if someone trades a 2015 in on a new 2016 oraybe get more leverage at the dealership as sales will be slow.

Decisions decisions!

Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 PM
pjim
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from EG to RG to SG, and I could never solve the wind problems on the RG. I returned to the SG. My wife also complained about the wind and buffeting.

Also the RG put more pressure on my lower legs at highway speed.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:00 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie
2. I'm in MN, & tend to ride until the snow flies...is there a difference in how the RG fairing affects your ability to ride in the cold vs. a batwing?
..... prior model RGs have a handlebar placement that put the grips in a wind stream coming over the shoulder of the fairing.
...... heated gloves would mitigate that issue, but i've just been too cheap to spring for'm
....... i think the 15s fairing placement is such that this particular issue is lessened, but i've yet to ride one in the winter.
....... maybe next year

Old 07-26-2015, 04:09 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,033 Likes on 7,960 Posts

Test ride = Buy, I'm guilty of that myself. Enjoy your new bike!

Old 07-26-2015, 04:57 PM
Mac3549
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Took a 2015 RG for a test ride yesterday....

I have a 15 RGS and have recently purchased some wind deflectors that OEM from HD they attach in a about a minute under the fairing and latch onto the crash bar. I have noticed a lot of wind noise went away as I now took care of the Turbulent air coming up from the tank and under the fairing. I can hear my music a lot better now. I tried a taller 11 inch windshield from Freedom shields which also helped a little but when I took off the stock shield and put the Freedom one on I got a lot of turbulence right at my upper chest. Felt like I was constantly being slapped in the chests.... Not comfortable... Stock screen back on and it is gone.. Go figure. I'm 5'9" and ride 2 up a lot. My fiancée has yet to complain about bad air... But then again she has a 220 lb windshield sitting in front of her!!! Good luck with Purchasing, u won't regret it

Old 07-26-2015, 05:50 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a 15 CVO road glide and the ride is great as far as wind management goes. I had a 13 CVO Custom that I picked up after owning a 13 Road Gide Ultra. I couldn't believe the how much wind I got on the 13 CVO vs the 13 Road Glide Ultra. I put a set of lowers on it and it cleared everything up. There is a ton of air that comes in under the fairing. You can really tell the difference when you throw your feet up on the highway pegs. It directs all that air right up to your chest.
I think if you want a real clean comfortable ride you got to add lowers and a taller windshield. I can run 80 and its as comfortable as can be.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,944 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac3549
My fiancée has yet to complain about bad air
Ain't farted with her back there yet, eh?

Old 07-26-2015, 06:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'm seriously considering a '16 RG. I've talked to several experienced riders, and they all tell me the same thing...the stock windshield isn't really a windshield, it's a "fashion accessory". You really need to go to an aftermarket windshield, and it will make a ton of difference.

I hope.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

1-How tall are you ? ? You more the likely need a taller windshield, try Long Rides Shields.
2-Your height sets the windshields height at about nose high so you can just look over it.
3-I would make the Dealer give you a H-D accessory 12 inch clear wind splitter shield for free.
4-2016 models are out soon, there may be a Road Glide Ultra in the lineup, & you can get a better price on a 2015 then.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
..... prior model RGs have a handlebar placement that put the grips in a wind stream coming over the shoulder of the fairing.
...... heated gloves would mitigate that issue, but i've just been too cheap to spring for'm
....... i think the 15s fairing placement is such that this particular issue is lessened, but i've yet to ride one in the winter.
....... maybe next year
Ok, point taken.
So, the cold on the hands won't be a problem as I have 14" apes on my SG now & wear heated gloves as it is, so looks like that won't be an issue. Guess I was really thinking more along the lines of wind on the body. Seems like there is more hitting me on the RG than my SG, or least more directly. Not that I can't take it as I suppose I can always invest in a heated vest too....

Last edited by Shadowbennie; 07-27-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Took a 2015 RG for a test ride yesterday....