Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New style front motor mount - vibration

Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default New style front motor mount - vibration

I got an 05 Road King.

At about 120K front motor mount gave it up. Bike was shaking bad, thought there was something else wrong.

Anyway I replaced it. Dealer told me they had redesigned the front mount several times since 05. They sold me the latest design.

What I have noticed is the vibration at idle is much more pronounced than with the original style mount. It does smooth out when I get going, but I really notice the mirrors shaking and can feel it in the grips when idling.

I searched the forums and other sites. Apparently HD knows about it and they say once they break-in they smooth out. Well how long does that take? From anyone on here that has had the same experience, I would like to know what you think.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:27 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I have used a Glide pro on my 07 it did take a few hundred miles to break so a stock mount could have the same issues until the rubber breaks in. A lot of folks had a vibe issue and what was recommended to do was loosen the main center bolt, rev the motor a couple times up to about 3k. Shut it down and retorque the bolt to about 12-15 ft lbs.
The reason is this allows the motor to find its own neutral position in the mount. Did it once and no more vibes especially in the floorboards.

Last edited by bagman1; 08-13-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:55 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Bagman .. I'll try the re-tork this weekend

Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/mount/mount.htm
It steered me to the old style for my 04. My hearsay understanding is the newer mount is stronger and stiffer to deal with the stronger newer motors, which makes it less than great for the older weaker engines. I've no complaints with the older type I found for something like $30 on ebay.

That said, I didn't see this video when I made my purchasing decision.
Watch the last minute, especially the bit showing the mirrors. If I had seen this before I bought my 16207-79B replacement mount, I might have sprung for the higher price of the Glide-Pro front mount instead.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
I have used a Glide pro on my 07 it did take a few hundred miles to break so a stock mount could have the same issues until the rubber breaks in. A lot of folks had a vibe issue and what was recommended to do was loosen the main center bolt, rev the motor a couple times up to about 3k. Shut it down and retorque the bolt to about 12-15 ft lbs.
The reason is this allows the motor to find its own neutral position in the mount. Did it once and no more vibes especially in the floorboards.
I believe the 07 has a different front motor mount than 06-earlier, but I could be wrong.

[edit] just looked, yep, I'm wrong. Same as 06-earlier.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

I used the new and improved Harley mount and it never got broken in, I tried all the fixes . It still vibrated so bad the bike would only handle 60 MPH any faster and it jumped up and down.
I put in a Glide Pro and the problem was solved.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:56 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

I used a Sta-Bo front motor mount in my 05 Road King, and the vibration was very pronounced. I can't remember how long it took to "settle in", but the new motor mount DID break in. Or I broke in to the vibration....

Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Glidepro

Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member

I just watched the video that foxtrapper posted. I can see that I have overtightened the mount.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I will say that everything from Glide Pro has worked out perfectly on my 2 bikes and several of my riding buddies who used me as a test dummy.!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New style front motor mount - vibration