Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   New 2015 RGS 120ST (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1065420-new-2015-rgs-120st.html)

knox_nate 08-13-2015 09:35 PM

New 2015 RGS 120ST 125hp and 135trq (UPDATED)

4 Attachment(s)
Well finally got to pick the new RGS up tonight after the 120ST install with Bandit Sportsman Clutch. Only time I had ridden it was for a few miles with the 103 and stock set up.

HOLLY CRAP! Love this thing! Have the D&D Borzilla 2 into 1 exhaust and it is not going to sneak up on anyone. Blacked out part of the engine stuff, but still have a lot to go. Was only able to put a few miles on it tonight, but I hope to put a lot more on tomorrow.

Have to get a new windshield, because the stock is too low. Some apes and more black out will be in the near future.

Mechanic and tuner said he played with the tune adding fuel, taking away fuel, timing, etc... and felt that this would be a good every day ridding tune for the break in period. That break in period he told me to ride it like I am going to ride it normally or maybe even harder. Just make sure and not keep at the same mph and vary the RPM.

Not sure about the dyno with the drop in the trq at like 3200 to 3400 along with the trq curve, but thought it may be like that based on the internals of the engine. I am currently 100% happy with it though, so I am not planning on more tuning unless something just stands out. Get on it at around 3500 RPM and she freaking screams.

Let me know what you think. Attached are the two final dyno runs.

ntraindavefl 08-13-2015 10:07 PM

Hi, great looking RGS. The problem with the dip is the boarzilla. Meant for 117 inch builds and bigger based on 2" primaries, it needs more power than your 120 is putting out to be effective at low end torque. That pipe really wants engine combos at 130/130 or higher. Quality of the tq curve would have been better with the D&D fatcat w perforated baffle, the tq would be stronger and no dip. Still awesome ride!

knox_nate 08-13-2015 10:15 PM

Thanks!!

Do you think there would be a noticeable difference on the butt dyno? I mean I have no plans to take the bike to the track. Just want the extra power to play around with for some fun, but at the same time after you invest this money into the engine you want to get out what you can while still keeping it within warranty consideration.

skratch 08-13-2015 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by knox_nate (Post 14299136)
Mechanic and tuner said he played with the tune adding fuel, taking away fuel, timing, etc... and felt that this would be a good every day ridding tune for the break in period.

I am currently 100% happy with it though, so I am not planning on more tuning unless something just stands out.

awesome. bet she's fun to ride.

question, the tune that's in it now is for break in. but you say you aren't planning on anymore tuning. don't you plan to tune it after your break in is over?

jaymiller5 08-13-2015 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by knox_nate (Post 14299233)
Thanks!!

Do you think there would be a noticeable difference on the butt dyno? I mean I have no plans to take the bike to the track. Just want the extra power to play around with for some fun, but at the same time after you invest this money into the engine you want to get out what you can while still keeping it within warranty consideration.

Great looking bike and numbers. Agreed with the pipe being the reason for your drop, you always could change the baffles or mufflers out to more restrictive options (what I would do) or go with torque cones? That should settle things in a bit better and give you an even power curve without all of the peaks/valleys you are seeing. It should be a seat of the pants difference as well.

ntraindavefl 08-13-2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by knox_nate (Post 14299233)
Thanks!!

3-3500rpm is usually where we ride mostly so I think you could notice on butt dyno. However a pipe change is costly.

If you ever decide to change shoot me a pm and I might buy your zilla. That would offset your costs pretty good. Just a thought.

Sam2010 08-14-2015 01:01 AM

Break in tune and not planning on retune definitely rethink that IMO.

knox_nate 08-14-2015 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sam2010 (Post 14299466)
Break in tune and not planning on retune definitely rethink that IMO.

Originally Posted by skratch (Post 14299261)
awesome. bet she's fun to ride.

question, the tune that's in it now is for break in. but you say you aren't planning on anymore tuning. don't you plan to tune it after your break in is over?

Yeah I guess I didn't say that correctly. Not planning on doing any more tuning until I hit the 1k mark or if I decide to change anything out before then. Lol.

sporacer 08-14-2015 05:10 AM

I would definitely find someone else to tune your engine. I see people blaming the pipe but that pipe is perfect for that engine if you like loud. It probably runs ok but the dyno chart looks like shit. Congrats on your purchase. There is no replacement for displacement.

CRocks 08-14-2015 05:14 AM

Awesome!