Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could have been much worse...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 AM
Runner58
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could have been much worse...

I was westbound doing about 35 mph slowing down for a stale green light 1/8 mile up the road. Guy eastbound with his left blinker on caused my antenna to go up. He had a clear view of me as there were no cars for 50 feet in front of me. Well....you guessed it. He takes the left into a supermarket parking lot and cuts me off bad. I hit the brakes hard and skid (no antilock) barely missing a collision but went down on the left side. The FN guy keeps going but was followed by 2 witnesses.
My wife took the worst of it. She broke her knee cap on impact and got some rash and lots of bruising on her elbow/arm. We both hit our heads but the DOT helmets did their job well!
A group of bikers pulled over and were really helpful til the EMS/Cops came. They helped my wife to the side of the road, gave her first aid and comfort...I am deeply appreciative of their actions!
Cops waited at the guys car that caused the accident....he was food shopping. Cops cited the elderly man for many offenses.....
shouldn't be driving any longer. He didn't even realize there was an accident.
So...we are very grateful it wasn't worse....also grateful it wasn't some poor kid that he hit. People that don't have the ability any longer need to give up the privilege of driving!!
BTW...the bike appears to only have minor damage. The crash bars are scraped up bad and the frame is scraped up also. Will need to have it on a lift to see if anything else got messed up.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm glad everyone is relatively okay. Your right, it could have been much worse

Old 08-18-2015, 06:27 AM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Man that sucks!!! Glad you had help and you guys are somewhat okay

Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I wish you both a speedy recovery, you're right it could have been much worse. In the daylight we run with our high beams on and have CD Ringz just to try to be more visible.

Hope you are back on the road soon.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Thank the Lord you both will be ok! Let us all know how you both are mending. JR

Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you both are (mostly) ok.

The HDF Safety Committee will be along shortly to tell you what you did wrong, and that it was your fault.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad your both still here to be able to tell your story. Heal up fast.

Batman

Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 286 Likes on 132 Posts

it sure could of been as you said much worse. I had an idiot do the sudden left turn into my path, no signal, no where for me to go (boxed in by parked cars on left & right sides of street) - another second and he would of run over me instead of cutting me off in my travel lane. He wasn't elderly, just not focused on traffic. I found out the whole story when I successfully sued him. I hope you & the lady have no lingering medical problems and can get compensation. Money fixes & replace motorcycles, can not always say that about our fragile bodies.
There is no accounting for the focus or lack of by many motorists. Some we can tell where their attention is, others like the guy coming eastbound at you - no way to be sure. Anticipation that everyone is out to get you is the juice in my tank. It's worse these days than ever - damn mobile devices.
Good luck.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope the best for your wife.

I learned long ago to ride as if everyone on the road is out to kill you.

Quick Reply: Could have been much worse...